Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 10, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #20,236 of 22,511
**Cross-posted at Qutest thread**

I'm thinking about exchanging my Hugo 2 for a Qutest, as I basically always use the Hugo 2 in desktop mode connected to an external amp. It's use as a portable device with Bluetooth is irrelevant to me. I also prefer the form factor of the Qutest.

Is there a general consensus on whether there's any kind of difference in timbre/tonality between Hugo 2 and Qutest? I know they use the same DAC, but I've read differing and conflicting reports about the tonal relationship between these units.
Interested in this too, as I could add a Romi Audio BX2 Plus with Qutest for real desktop replacement - if Hugo2 went.

That stack would cover all bases with hard-to-drive planars.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #20,237 of 22,511
Interested in this too, as I could add a Romi Audio BX2 Plus with Qutest for real desktop replacement - if Hugo2 went.

That stack would cover all bases with hard-to-drive planars.
Well, I had the BX2 Plus for quite a while and it certainly paired nicely with the Hugo 2. Tho, I would say if you really want a compact desktop set-up in that manner, the Cayin C9 and Hugo 2 (and, I assume, Qutest) is an even better pairing.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #20,238 of 22,511
Well, I had the BX2 Plus for quite a while and it certainly paired nicely with the Hugo 2. Tho, I would say if you really want a compact desktop set-up in that manner, the Cayin C9 and Hugo 2 (and, I assume, Qutest) is an even better pairing.
I love the pairing of Hugo 2 with Cayin C9. But if you aren't going to take advantage of the transportability of these devices, you may want to consider going to the Chord Hugo TT2. That product is a big step up from the Hugo 2 and design is optimized for desktop usage.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #20,239 of 22,511
I love the pairing of Hugo 2 with Cayin C9. But if you aren't going to take advantage of the transportability of these devices, you may want to consider going to the Chord Hugo TT2. That product is a big step up from the Hugo 2 and design is optimized for desktop usage.
TT2 probably would be my first choice for a DAC, but I just put down some big $$$ on an amp, so need to wait a few months to replenish.

But indeed, the Hugo 2 and C9 is special, but most of my listening with the C9 is with the A02 module on the N6II, which isn't too far off the Hugo 2 on a technical front.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #20,241 of 22,511
But TT2 is close to unobtainium at the moment, especially as I would want to try one first.
It's worth a listen if you ever get a chance. The price of a Hugo 2 and C9 is about the same as a TT2.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #20,242 of 22,511
E8863CF1-F4A5-4714-9752-92459385CD1B.jpeg

was trying my hand to make it portable...it works fine 🙂

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #20,243 of 22,511
I've seen a number of posts (both here and on the Qutest thread) suggesting that Qutest ==> external amp beats Hugo 2 ==> external amp.

But I also see discussions regarding 'why?' Main theories appear to be 'different output stage' and 'better USB galvanic isolation'.

And since I never connect my H2 to USB (always S/PDIF or Optical), I don't care about USB. Which leads me to the question:

Is there a significant sound quality difference between H2 and Qutest when receiving optical or coax input?

TIA! (cross-posting to Qutest thread as well)

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #20,244 of 22,511
Apologies if this has been asked before, but does setting Hugo 2 to max vol in headphone mode give the same 3Vrms output as line out mode?

I am currently demo'ing a Sparkos Aries headphone amp and, with the Aries set to its lowest preamp gain (there are 3 gain settings, low=+10dB, med=+20dB, high=+30dB), I hear the most horrendous overload distortion through my headphones.

I read somewhere that each click of the volume button on the Hugo 2 remote changes the level by 1dB, and that each click also causes the volume sphere to change colour hue slightly. Is this correct? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but I'm pretty sure the volume continues to increase if I keep clicking the + on the remote another 3 or 4 times even when the sphere is white.

I'm looking for a reliable way to reduce the level to 2Vrms, which I assume is what the Aries is expecting to receive. If each remote click represents 1dB, then decreasing H2's max volume by 4 clicks should get me down to 1.9Vrms, shouldn't it?

It seems odd to me that the Aries would be fine with 2Vrms but totally unlistenable with 3Vrms, however I don't know how much headroom preamp inputs typically have before they clip hard.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #20,245 of 22,511
Apologies if this has been asked before, but does setting Hugo 2 to max vol in headphone mode give the same 3Vrms output as line out mode?

I am currently demo'ing a Sparkos Aries headphone amp and, with the Aries set to its lowest preamp gain (there are 3 gain settings, low=+10dB, med=+20dB, high=+30dB), I hear the most horrendous overload distortion through my headphones.

I read somewhere that each click of the volume button on the Hugo 2 remote changes the level by 1dB, and that each click also causes the volume sphere to change colour hue slightly. Is this correct? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but I'm pretty sure the volume continues to increase if I keep clicking the + on the remote another 3 or 4 times even when the sphere is white.

I'm looking for a reliable way to reduce the level to 2Vrms, which I assume is what the Aries is expecting to receive. If each remote click represents 1dB, then decreasing H2's max volume by 4 clicks should get me down to 1.9Vrms, shouldn't it?

It seems odd to me that the Aries would be fine with 2Vrms but totally unlistenable with 3Vrms, however I don't know how much headroom preamp inputs typically have before they clip hard.
I had the Aries pairing with the Hugo 2 for quite a while - excellent pairing. The Aries is sensitive to being overloaded, so depending on your headphones, you'll need to ensure you're on the right gain setting (I'd begin with low and proceed from there).

On the Hugo 2 side, you definitely do *not* want to max the volume out. 2Vrms is the standard line-level out, anything higher is not suited for headphones. To achieve this, press the XPhD and on button together when you turn the Hugo 2 on. The purple orb will indicate you're in line-level mode. To preserve this status, push "minus" on your remote control once. And only once. You'll then be locked into line-level when you turn it on and off. Don't tamper with the volume thereafter.

Again - 3Vrms is not suited for the Aries (and also not necessary). Stick with 2Vrms and you'll be fine.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #20,246 of 22,511
I had the Aries pairing with the Hugo 2 for quite a while - excellent pairing. The Aries is sensitive to being overloaded, so depending on your headphones, you'll need to ensure you're on the right gain setting (I'd begin with low and proceed from there).

On the Hugo 2 side, you definitely do *not* want to max the volume out. 2Vrms is the standard line-level out, anything higher is not suited for headphones. To achieve this, press the XPhD and on button together when you turn the Hugo 2 on. The purple orb will indicate you're in line-level mode. To preserve this status, push "minus" on your remote control once. And only once. You'll then be locked into line-level when you turn it on and off. Don't tamper with the volume thereafter.

Again - 3Vrms is not suited for the Aries (and also not necessary). Stick with 2Vrms and you'll be fine.
According to the Hugo 2 user manual, activating line level mode sets the voltage to 3Vrms, not 2Vrms?

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #20,247 of 22,511
According to the Hugo 2 user manual, activating line level mode sets the voltage to 3Vrms, not 2Vrms?
You're right.

In any case - whenever I used the Hugo 2 with the Aries, I just did the XPhD+On button and never had any distortion with the Aries. If you're doing this your end and still getting clipping, I'd lower the gain on the Aries. Max volume on Hugo 2 and line-level are different.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #20,248 of 22,511
As you say, the 'line out' voltage from the H2 is 3 Volts. (Qutest has adjustable line out -- 1, 2 or 3V).

However, that output (3 Volts) is not the 'max'. Note that selecting 'line out' during start-up doesn't 'fix' the output, you can still go down (or up) with the volume ball or volume controls on the remote. And the fact that you can go up shows that 'line out' is not 'max'.

I had to reduce output from 'line out' when connecting my H2 to a receiver to listen via speakers -- the 3 Volts were over-driving the receiver's input stage. And the problem quickly got much worse as I increased volume on the H2. But listening to my Hedds at the same level was fine, quite loud, but no distortion or clipping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back