Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 31, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #20,131 of 22,475
What are your opinions of a DDC for a Hugo 2, the ifi Igalvanic is an example. Do they make a difference or are they kind of unnecessary? I have a HP Omen with a i7 processor, a GTX 1060 graphics card, and a bigger fan inside for cooling purposes. Not sure if there's enough inside to create enough electrical noise to have an impact in my rig. Hugo 2 (via USB from pc to my Stellia, or the Hugo 2 to the Rotel RA-1572 integrated speaker amp via some well made RCA Cables to my speakers with the PC being my source again).
I would say you really only need iGalvanic if you have a ground loop problem. As Rob said, this is more likely when using an external amp or speaker amp.

If you are hearing low level noise that seems to be related to mouse movements or changes on the screen, then a device like the iPurifier2 or iPurifier3 will stop it.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #20,132 of 22,475
Fabulous explanation. I’ve always been impressed that the Hugo2 provides desktop quality DAC performance yet drives an IEM with no noise.

Whilst I’ve already mentioned misgivings about the 2Go … once you work around the glitches and set it up, it works fabulously. It has really transformed how much I use the Hugo2 with Roon. I can literally pick it up and place it anywhere in the house. And sounds better than most any DAP on the market.

Absolutely no appreciable noise driving the Oriolus Trailii. And the clarity is amazing.

I only wish they put a 4.4mm (even if it’s not a balanced 4.4) in the next iteration. The PWA RCA -> 4.4mm (imbalanced) adapter is a good workaround.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #20,133 of 22,475
Fabulous explanation. I’ve always been impressed that the Hugo2 provides desktop quality DAC performance yet drives an IEM with no noise.

Whilst I’ve already mentioned misgivings about the 2Go … once you work around the glitches and set it up, it works fabulously. It has really transformed how much I use the Hugo2 with Roon. I can literally pick it up and place it anywhere in the house. And sounds better than most any DAP on the market.

Absolutely no appreciable noise driving the Oriolus Trailii. And the clarity is amazing.

I only wish they put a 4.4mm (even if it’s not a balanced 4.4) in the next iteration. The PWA RCA -> 4.4mm (imbalanced) adapter is a good workaround.
I like having only 3.5mm. I find myself listening to music more because I can use my favorite headphones on my laptop, cellphone, etc., no adapter needed. If there was a 4.4mm I would pressure myself to use that socket. That means I'd have to carry an adapter around. That means I'd probably gonna lose it. That means there's probably gonna be an afternoon at the park when I want to quickly shuffle a few youtube videos, only to find that my earphones don't fit my phone.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #20,134 of 22,475
Now that Apple Music launched Dolby Atmos and lossless support, has anyone played around with that yet?

I'm listening with Hugo 2 and MacBook Pro and can't find how to enable higher sample rate? I'm added all tabs in preferences (Music, Preferences, Loseless, Spatial Audio etc.) but Hugo 2 shows sample rate of 44k? Any tips?

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #20,135 of 22,475
I'm listening with Hugo 2 and MacBook Pro and can't find how to enable higher sample rate? I'm added all tabs in preferences (Music, Preferences, Loseless, Spatial Audio etc.) but Hugo 2 shows sample rate of 44k? Any tips?
What do you have selected in Audio Midi Setup tool Apple ships Mac OS with?

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #20,137 of 22,475
Now that Apple Music launched Dolby Atmos and lossless support, has anyone played around with that yet?
A bit, so far. The problem is that the output of Apple devices isn't bit-perfect when using their music apps. On iOS you can't isolate other sounds being mixed with the music, and on MacOS, the output from Core Audio isn't switched with the sample/bit rate of the music in their app. Additionally, anything from Universal or Warner is watermarked, so distortion has been added.

I've only tried a bit of Dolby Atmos music through my Airpods Pro and not other gear. I'm going to try it through my speakers soon.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #20,138 of 22,475
It's summer and Hugo2 is overheating like crazy again 😭 I was hoping it was just because I was using it wrong last year ....

Attachments

• 16232484541604463696537266462746.jpg
    16232484541604463696537266462746.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #20,139 of 22,475

I've listened to spatial audio tracks with the Airpods Max through iPhone. Initially there is a "wow factor", but after a while, some tracks feel artificial. There seems to be a ton of added reverb to get "space" on some tracks. It does make the APM sound very good.

I get the same sense of space and better detail through the Hugo2/2go and Empyrean combo with non apple music lossless tracks.

I've always been impressed with the APM watching movies with spatial audio. It's an amazing, immersive experience.

As I understand it, only 20 million of the 75 million are actually lossless at this point. Even fewer are above 44k.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #20,140 of 22,475
It's summer and Hugo2 is overheating like crazy again 😭 I was hoping it was just because I was using it wrong last year ....
The rules are simple.

I. Self-contained regime:
a) do not charge the battery when listening to Hugo 2.

II. Desktop mode (main mode):
a) fully charge Hugo 2 (100% charge);
b) do not deactivate the charger;
c) wait for desktop activation (after 24 hours);
d) use Hugo 2.
* after activating the desktop mode, Hugo 2 has a sequence of only a, b, d.

Visualization
100% charge - charger connected to Hugo 2, charge lamp not lit (disabled).
Desktop mode - when Hugo 2 is turned on, the bulb is lit purple.

Hugo 2 + 2Go (Hugo2Go)
* 2Go - If you do not use Hugo 2, always turn off 2Go manually.
* Hugo 2 + 2Go is used 24/7 (daytime work + nighttime charging), without disconnecting the charger. Several times a month I use Hugo 2 in autonomous mode (7-8 hours), until the battery is fully discharged.

III. Use Hugo 2 in a place with good air circulation.

Perhaps this will help you.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #20,141 of 22,475

Maybe the batteries are not sealed properly with thermal stuff. Might be worth opening up and checking to see.

If battteries are not using case as a heat sinc, the heat would build up inside.

(My batteries are stuck rigisdly to the case.)

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #20,143 of 22,475
And e-mail Chord support and tell them you didn't spend 2500 to have a unit that can't be used in the summer months :). If under warranty it should be replaced, the overheating should not be happening.
Overheating is easy to achieve unfortunately if you use it while you charge. Also, the desktop mode is only possible if it remains on the charger for at least 24 hours, so if you move around, may not be possible. Since I was only using Hugo 2 at home, with these battery issues, I actually upgraded to Hugo TT2 and bought an extension cord, ugly, but got better results that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back