Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #1,938 of 22,511

Nope, just a general and personal opinion regarding the notion of getting a Dave for less than 1/4 the price. Or a really expensive Mojo too.

What percentage is the Hugo 2 in relation to the sound quality of the Dave? I think I would like the Hugo 2, but it'll end up being too bulky for portable use in general for me.

Pi.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,943 of 22,511
See the excellent review from Paul Miller in HighFiNews a couple of months ago believe me TToby has plenty of power.

Fair enough, but would it hurt to be honest in your specs? I said: "which could mean it is just 50 watts into 8 ohms for all we know". In the review you mentioned it says that the TToby would "ordinarily be described as a 50-watter". 

http://hifilounge.co.uk/image/attachments/Chord/HFN-Chord-TToby-Review.pdf

This is not big deal, but I am sure you are aware that those not in the know might think that 100 watts means 100 watts. In this case it doesn't and can therefore be considered misleading.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the TToby is great and can drive big speakers, etc. I have a 25 watt amplifier (honest watts and it drives my 86 dB/W Dynaudio speakers just fine thank you very much). My point is about honesty.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,944 of 22,511
When the Mojo came out there were plenty of people saying it got to about 80% of the sound quality of the Hugo1 (applauded for its 1/3 price tag for this achievement), after listening I believed this to be a reasonable assessment. It is a fair enough question to ask for similarly quantifiable comparisons to other products here and as the law of diminishing returns for money spent come into play it would be a reasonably high percentage. As we are discussing a different echelon of product, I think some (not all) people have shown the elitist side of their egos when discussing sound quality comparisons of the Hugo2 to the Dave here. Just check yourselves, simply because it has been called the closest thing to a portable Dave doesn't need to be a taken so personally. Some Dave owners here seem comfortable with why they made their purchase and don't seem threatened that other DACs are going incrementally get closer to the zenith the Dave has. I for one want to know if people are willing to give a considered percentage too compared to the Dave when the time comes. Whether you own the Dave or not, a know it all jokey percentage makes you seem insecure about something, like you have to prove you are above the question. There are people who appreciate subjective comparisons and can apply discernment.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,945 of 22,511
When the Mojo came out there were plenty of people saying it got to about 80% of the sound quality of the Hugo1 (applauded for its 1/3 price tag for this achievement), after listening I believed this to be a reasonable assessment. It is a fair enough question to ask for similarly quantifiable comparisons to other products here and as the law of diminishing returns for money spent come into play it would be a reasonably high percentage. As we are discussing a different echelon of product, I think some (not all) people have shown the elitist side of their egos when discussing sound quality comparisons of the Hugo2 to the Dave here. Just check yourselves, simply because it has been called the closest thing to a portable Dave doesn't need to be a taken so personally. Some Dave owners here seem comfortable with why they made their purchase and don't seem threatened that other DACs are going incrementally get closer to the zenith the Dave has. I for one want to know if people are willing to give a considered percentage too compared to the Dave when the time comes. Whether you own the Dave or not, a know it all jokey percentage makes you seem insecure about something, like you have to prove you are above the question. There are people who appreciate subjective comparisons and can apply discernment.

80% of Hugo sound would be a fair assessment lol. 

I really like Hugo better than Mojo. X52 > Mojo as well for me, don't know why. 

Really optimistic about Hugo and Hugo 2 though - I think that the top was smoother than I like for Mojo. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,946 of 22,511
Well, something so difficult to quantify as percentages, taking into consideration subjectivity, even a cursory view looks like this:

DAVE 20 element pulse array > Hugo2 10 element pulse arrray = 50%

DAVE 164,000 taps > Hugo2 49,152 taps = 50%

DAVE high frequency switch PSU > Hugo2 battery = 75%

DAVE galvanic isolation > Hugo2 no galvanic isolation = 90%

Which gives a rough estimation that Hugo2 is 66% DAVE.

That's phenomenal, extraordinary value!

However, if we want to equate these percentages to SQ (which I don't think we can) the remaining 34% in an audiophile world, where percentages can cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, the gap between the DAVE and the Hugo2 might as well be the distance between the earth and the sun.

All of this, however, does not take into consideration that Hugo2 has some unique filters that DAVE does not have. On the other hand, the DAVE kicks out more juice and is designed to more easily connect to additional peripherals. There are other factors, but like I said, a very cursory look.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,947 of 22,511
See the excellent review from Paul Miller in HighFiNews a couple of months ago believe me TToby has plenty of power.

The review was the first thing that i read when my copy arrived.

Is TToby in full production now? I only ask because it would be interesting to read posts from typical owners describing their experiences, but I cannot find any threads/posts relating to the TToby.
Maybe you are aware of any forum threads devoted to the TToby.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,948 of 22,511
Well, something so difficult to quantify as percentages, taking into consideration subjectivity, even a cursory view looks like this:

DAVE 20 element pulse array > Hugo2 10 element pulse arrray = 50%

DAVE 164,000 taps > Hugo2 49,152 taps = 50%

DAVE high frequency switch PSU > Hugo2 battery = 75%

DAVE galvanic isolation > Hugo2 no galvanic isolation = 90%

Which gives a rough estimation that Hugo2 is 66% DAVE.

That's phenomenal, extraordinary value!

However, if we want to equate these percentages to SQ (which I don't think we can) the remaining 34% in an audiophile world, where percentages can cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, the gap between the DAVE and the Hugo2 might as well be the distance between the earth and the sun.

All of this, however, does not take into consideration that Hugo2 has some unique filters that DAVE does not have. On the other hand, the DAVE kicks out more juice and is designed to more easily connect to additional peripherals. There are other factors, but like I said, a very cursory look.

Both output music though 
eek.gif

Seriously now, it seriously is a thing of taste sometimes. I didn't find a single tube amp that I liked - all had quirks that broken the fun for me - same can happen with devices that should sound better. 

I really like Hugo, didn't like Mojo - taste can be a funny thing. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,949 of 22,511
For me hugo was an eye opener, mojo a great market changer for the "masses" but wasn't foe me. Hugo II doesn't excite me, it is still long way away from the actual tap number that Mr Watt wants it to be and having owned hugo for a while I know that for now I won't get involved too much into focusing too much on Tap numbers. I found my HUGO paired with the wrong item to lack dynamic and emotions.

I wait for the next hugo where it's performance comes close to Dave.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #1,950 of 22,511

Both output music though 
eek.gif

Seriously now, it seriously is a thing of taste sometimes. I didn't find a single tube amp that I liked - all had quirks that broken the fun for me - same can happen with devices that should sound better. 

I really like Hugo, didn't like Mojo - taste can be a funny thing. 

Right, that's why in my first sentence I qualified, "Taking into consideration subjectivity."  You can't quantify any of this. You can point to specs, but specs are never the whole story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back