Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #18,947 of 22,522
ironically. the local authorized retailer rejects to support just because i didn't purchase from them :frowning2:
Mine was used, but still under warranty. I contacted Chord directly. Had to pay to ship back and forth, but that's it. I was amazed they still honored the warranty. Several on the thread have had the same issue, but it seems extremely rare given how many have posted.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #18,948 of 22,522
Time for an update.

My new Hugo 2 is settling in very well and sounds amazing. I belatedly remembered that my newish Quiet PC has an optical output so using that instead of USB. Haven't listened critically enough to say if optical is actually better but it does make for a neater solution without the iGalvanic3.0 and iPurifier3.

I did try the iFi micro iCAN with the Hugo 2. My admiration for the iCAN grows and grows as once again it steps up to the plate and doesn't in any way seem to detract from the Chord sound. This is good as it gives me a bass boost option - however I have discovered with Hugo 2 that I less often desire that bass boost option. The bass is so deep, robust and well defined out of Hugo 2 that even where it is a little lean, it is still perfectly audible where some lesser devices just lose it and sound thin.

Noting the above comment about bass, I have tried the equaliser in foobar2000 as an alternative when bass boost is really needed and this sounds very good given that most of those CDs tend not to be particularly audiophile to begin with. Having said that, most so far sound better than I remember them.

I considered the 2go as a neat looking means of setting Hugo 2 free to roam about the house. I've read the 282 page (and counting) litany of disaster here on Head-Fi and decided not to risk it. Pops and crackles are an absolute no go for me. Never mind at £1000!!!

Instead I have decided to focus on DAPs with optical outputs. There are not many! The most likely candidate at the moment is the Cowon Plenue R2, a DAP I was already quite interested in. In spite of it's almost dinosaur UI and lack of some browsing and sorting features, it nonetheless ticks all the boxes I really need, has decent battery life and isn't beta-ware like so many others.

Alternatives include iBasso DX220, a couple of now obsolete A&K's and some very expensive Cowon's. I notice A&K have a new KANN Alpha which allegedly has optical so I'm considering that too. The Plenue R2 has better battery life though and is smaller and lighter and will likely sound just as good.

All for now. Loving the Hugo 2.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #18,949 of 22,522
my Hugo2 has developed the battery issue - went flat on me at work this morning before finishing one album despite it supposedly being fully charged.
suspect its related to the overheating issues it was having over the summer. I've contacted my retailer (nintronics who I think are excellent) so watch this space :)

ironically the 2go is now behaving itself and has been good as gold recently

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #18,950 of 22,522
Time for an update.

My new Hugo 2 is settling in very well and sounds amazing. I belatedly remembered that my newish Quiet PC has an optical output so using that instead of USB. Haven't listened critically enough to say if optical is actually better but it does make for a neater solution without the iGalvanic3.0 and iPurifier3.

I did try the iFi micro iCAN with the Hugo 2. My admiration for the iCAN grows and grows as once again it steps up to the plate and doesn't in any way seem to detract from the Chord sound. This is good as it gives me a bass boost option - however I have discovered with Hugo 2 that I less often desire that bass boost option. The bass is so deep, robust and well defined out of Hugo 2 that even where it is a little lean, it is still perfectly audible where some lesser devices just lose it and sound thin.

Noting the above comment about bass, I have tried the equaliser in foobar2000 as an alternative when bass boost is really needed and this sounds very good given that most of those CDs tend not to be particularly audiophile to begin with. Having said that, most so far sound better than I remember them.

I considered the 2go as a neat looking means of setting Hugo 2 free to roam about the house. I've read the 282 page (and counting) litany of disaster here on Head-Fi and decided not to risk it. Pops and crackles are an absolute no go for me. Never mind at £1000!!!

Instead I have decided to focus on DAPs with optical outputs. There are not many! The most likely candidate at the moment is the Cowon Plenue R2, a DAP I was already quite interested in. In spite of it's almost dinosaur UI and lack of some browsing and sorting features, it nonetheless ticks all the boxes I really need, has decent battery life and isn't beta-ware like so many others.

Alternatives include iBasso DX220, a couple of now obsolete A&K's and some very expensive Cowon's. I notice A&K have a new KANN Alpha which allegedly has optical so I'm considering that too. The Plenue R2 has better battery life though and is smaller and lighter and will likely sound just as good.

There is a Xduoo X10t ii Turntable. It has optical. Has no DAC chip, so it's only a file source. (This is the second version - hence the 'ii' moniker.)

https://www.xduoo.net/product/xduoo-x10t-ii/

I just ordered a Samsung Galaxy X-cover Pro, because it has replaceable batteries. Possibly not the best value phone, but it's rugged and holds up to 512MB. Will use that as file-source for at home too sometimes. No optical.

Yeah I love Hugo 2 bass too. Never EQ'd it.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #18,951 of 22,522
There is a Xduoo X10t ii Turntable. It has optical. Has no DAC chip, so it's only a file source. (This is the second version - hence the 'ii' moniker.)

https://www.xduoo.net/product/xduoo-x10t-ii/
I had to rule out the X10T ii as it is limited to 256GB cards and I need more than that. Also there is no dealer in the UK.

The Plenue R2 has 128GB internal and can take a 256GB card officially. Some say it works fully with larger cards but 128GB + 256GB is enough for me anyway.

I already have a Samsung S10e but I'll look at that X-cover Pro in future as I like the idea of replaceable batteries. I hate that these things become bricks in a few short years.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #18,952 of 22,522
Mine was used, but still under warranty. I contacted Chord directly. Had to pay to ship back and forth, but that's it. I was amazed they still honored the warranty. Several on the thread have had the same issue, but it seems extremely rare given how many have posted.
somehow i figured out how to turn it on. Just press & hold the power button until it completes the booting cycle, then it stays on. But unfortunately, the 3.5mm output malfunctions :frowning2:

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #18,953 of 22,522
Time for an update.

Remember the signal to noise ratio of that thread is severely skewed. If you can get one on loan for a trial, you may find the 2go works great. If anything, get a stop gap solution until the bugs get worked out and revisit the idea. I own both the 2go and Poly. I've not had a 100% perfect experience, but none of my issues were more than slightly annoying at worst. None of the issues detracted me from enjoying the convenience of the poly/mojo or hugo/2go.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #18,954 of 22,522
I had to rule out the X10T ii as it is limited to 256GB cards and I need more than that. Also there is no dealer in the UK.

The Plenue R2 has 128GB internal and can take a 256GB card officially. Some say it works fully with larger cards but 128GB + 256GB is enough for me anyway.

I already have a Samsung S10e but I'll look at that X-cover Pro in future as I like the idea of replaceable batteries. I hate that these things become bricks in a few short years.

Yeah I thought the same thing about the X10T ii. However users are saying they have 512GB cards working perfectly.

If you want to see for yourself what they said. Search Head-Fi for the X10T ii, and look on the reviews, and the comments section after the review.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #18,955 of 22,522
I tried the X10T. It is a no-no for me for the same reason as the Sony daps: you are forced to wait for the machine to re-scan the entire library for music metadata every time you insert a new card, before you are allowed to browse in folder view. For me who has many large capacity cards and only cares about folder view, the wait can be as long as 10-20 mins. X10T has 2 card slots, so double it! And, on top of that, X10T's UI is not that impressive.

It appears that hugo 2 does not auto-shutdown when it is connected to a usb input. I often forget to power off two devices, so I stick to coax / optical inputs where hugo 2 can auto-shutdown if I only remembered to shutdown my dap. Plus coax/optical have better bass than usb, so there's that.

My current solution consists of:
FiiO M5 (the smallest footprint transport that 1) does coax or optical, 2) does not re-scan the metadata and 3) native DSD (hugo light turns white))
Zephone ZP-TZ-3 coax cable (The most low profile coax cable I can find)
Hugo 2
Dignis case
Hergopoch RL-MS shoulder bag (Fits exactly the Dignis case + a thin dap + some extra space vertically for headphone connectors)
JJC mch-msd10 micro sd card holder (the shoulder bag has a card slot)

Here's what they look like:
Photo Sep 11, 9 38 01 PM.jpg
The M5 is so light, about the same weight as the coax cable, that I don't worry about leaving it hanging to the hugo's coax socket like this.
Photo Sep 11, 9 38 25 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 11, 9 42 42 PM.jpg

Here's how I adjust volume / switch songs:
Photo Sep 11, 9 44 26 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #18,956 of 22,522
I’m not great with cables. What would be the best way for me to attach a lotoo paw gold touch to the Hugo?

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #18,957 of 22,522
Hello all,
I request fellow owners to provide their input regarding the Hugo 2's ability to drive the Hifiman Arya/HE1000 V1/V2. Can it drive it to the headphone's max potential. I read the specs of Hugo 2 which states, 740mW @ 32 ohm of output power. I read elsewhere that the mentioned headphones require more than 3W of power to sound the best. I'm currently pairing HFM Arya with the Hugo 2, and though it sounds good, I have a feeling that I'm not getting the best. I would be happy if someone would provide their views on the same
Thanks

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #18,958 of 22,522
Hello all,
I request fellow owners to provide their input regarding the Hugo 2's ability to drive the Hifiman Arya/HE1000 V1/V2. Can it drive it to the headphone's max potential. I read the specs of Hugo 2 which states, 740mW @ 32 ohm of output power. I read elsewhere that the mentioned headphones require more than 3W of power to sound the best. I'm currently pairing HFM Arya with the Hugo 2, and though it sounds good, I have a feeling that I'm not getting the best. I would be happy if someone would provide their views on the same
Thanks
The «best» source/amp I've heard the HE1000 with is the DAVE – the Hugo₂ is slightly behind. But the combo still sounds wonderful. It's not about a lack of power (the Hugo₂ has more than enough), it's about the quality of DAC and output sections: You get what you pay for. That said, I could easily live with this combo if I were on a budget.

In the HEDDphone thread there's a lot of talk about how much power the HEDDphone needs – admittedly a headphone with relatively low sensitivity –, even speaker amps are recommended. But that's nonsense. It makes a great pairing with the Hugo₂, which even comes close to the DAVE. So there a special synergy makes up for the difference in technical quality.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #18,959 of 22,522
The «best» source/amp I've heard the HE1000 with is the DAVE – the Hugo₂ is slightly behind. But the combo still sounds wonderful. It's not about a lack of power (the Hugo₂ has more than enough), it's about the quality of DAC and output sections: You get what you pay for. That said, I could easily live with this combo if I were on a budget.

In the HEDDphone thread there's a lot of talk about how much power the HEDDphone needs – admittedly a headphone with relatively low sensitivity –, even speaker amps are recommended. But that's nonsense. It makes a great pairing with the Hugo₂, which even comes close to the DAVE. So there a special synergy makes up for the difference in technical quality.
Thank you for your insight.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #18,960 of 22,522
Wait, what? Who says it doesn't yield better results?

I hear the H2's benefits with my KSE 1200:thinking:
Really?! I need to get my ears tested again 😮. I found it more engaging and warmer with the mojo. Do you feel a huge difference or is it very subtle? I do feel the Hugo has more soundstage and is a bit more neutral, but is really really close, not like the big difference we perceive with non-electrostatic headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back