Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #18,586 of 22,475
Do you mind give couple of examples? Like which song give you the most pronounced mid/upper bass hit that’s so fatiguing?

I have the same Hugo2+LCD 4z combo for a little more than 2 months. I would like to see if I feel that hit as well.
Its not any one song. Just about any rock or electronic track that has a higher bpm and the upper/mid bass knocks pretty good.
More apperant with poorer recordings

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #18,587 of 22,475
Its not any one song. Just about any rock or electronic track that has a higher bpm and the upper/mid bass knocks pretty good.
More apperant with poorer recordings
Ahh, I see.
I listen to a lot of synth pop and EDM as well and I agree this combo hits pretty hard. But for me, if I’m in the mood then I could enjoy the knocks for hours, otherwise I can see this could be fatiguing real quick.
Do you think it says more about the Hugo2 or it just a trait of the LCD 4z?

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #18,588 of 22,475
Ahh, I see.
I listen to a lot of synth pop and EDM as well and I agree this combo hits pretty hard. But for me, if I’m in the mood then I could enjoy the knocks for hours, otherwise I can see this could be fatiguing real quick.
Do you think it says more about the Hugo2 or it just a trait of the LCD 4z?
The H2. The 4z is absolutely fatigue free, for me, super sense with the treble and mid peaks and this HP doesn't have any of those problems, even with H2. But despite it being fatigue free listen, the 4z has super detail and resolution /clarity, truly in love with its sound. Haven't heard anything better for me yet.
The H2 is perfect with it... Just that it's a little too forward for me.
But even with the aggressive bold sound, it's still super awesome lol. Maybe. I need to keep it.
Im just wondering what the tt2 can do..

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #18,589 of 22,475
Newbie here. Looking for suggestions from Hugo-2 users. Would you recommend investing in a Hugo2 (or Mojo+Poly) or a $1500+ DAP from 2019/20 that also serves as an external DAC/Amp such as M15 or DX220Max. Streaming apps plus YouTube via DAP's own OS over IEMs like MD Zeus being the primary use. (I have no issues with the size or weight for portable use; and ADI-2 Pro is already taking very good care of desktop use in studio for both mixing/monitoring and film purposes to a great satisfaction).

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #18,590 of 22,475
Newbie here. Looking for suggestions from Hugo-2 users. Would you recommend investing in a Hugo2 (or Mojo+Poly) or a $1500+ DAP from 2019/20 that also serves as an external DAC/Amp such as M15 or DX220Max. Streaming apps plus YouTube via DAP's own OS being the primary use. (I have no issues with the size or weight for portable use; and ADI-2 Pro FS BE is taking very good care of desktop use in studio for both mixing/monitoring and film purposes).
H2 as I've had all those, I think H2 is way better than WM1Z for example

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #18,591 of 22,475
I guess this gets subjective.

I like my Hiby R6 Pro dap more than my Chord Hugo 2.

And the 2go currently is a nightmare module.

But I probably have items that don't get influenced much. Like my Final Audio a8000 with its little distortion graphs.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #18,592 of 22,475
Don’t think I’ve quite grasped what “intelligent desktop” mode is yet. My Hugo 2 was left charging for 24 hours and the battery indicator went purple. I unplugged to move the Hugo 2 elsewhere, and an hour or so later re-attached it to the charger again. The battery indicator is now Blue. Is the purple indicator a one off event?
And what happens now - Do you keep the charger plugged in 24/7 , and the Hugo is then only charged until it reaches full power, and then stops charging? If so is there a way you know it has stopped charging?

Thanks

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #18,593 of 22,475
Don’t think I’ve quite grasped what “intelligent desktop” mode is yet. My Hugo 2 was left charging for 24 hours and the battery indicator went purple. I unplugged to move the Hugo 2 elsewhere, and an hour or so later re-attached it to the charger again. The battery indicator is now Blue. Is the purple indicator a one off event?
And what happens now - Do you keep the charger plugged in 24/7 , and the Hugo is then only charged until it reaches full power, and then stops charging? If so is there a way you know it has stopped charging?

Thanks
The purple is desktop mode but it disables as soon as you unplug it so to keep it in that mode, you have to leave it plugged in after the 24 hours.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #18,594 of 22,475
Newbie here. Looking for suggestions from Hugo-2 users. Would you recommend investing in a Hugo2 (or Mojo+Poly) or a $1500+ DAP from 2019/20 that also serves as an external DAC/Amp such as M15 or DX220Max. Streaming apps plus YouTube via DAP's own OS over IEMs like MD Zeus being the primary use. (I have no issues with the size or weight for portable use; and ADI-2 Pro is already taking very good care of desktop use in studio for both mixing/monitoring and film purposes to a great satisfaction).

For IEMs a DAP should be fine. It is only with headphones like the AFC 2 some DAP’s (some even costing $3000) start to struggle with delivering enough power.

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #18,595 of 22,475
It depends more on how are you going to use those things. For a tidy go-anywhere-one-box solution, of course DAP is the way to go. And, since you're good with the ADI-2, DAP may be a more sensible solution? I personally use iPhone+Hugo 2 with my CFA Solaris when travel. Back home, just connect H2 to my Benchmark HPA4, I can have a good experience with pretty much any headphone. When I'm commuting or go to the grocery store, I just use a good ol Airpods pro.

I demoed a ADI-2 but ultimately returned it. It's a fantastic piece of gear but since H2 already fitted all my audio needs, ADI-2 would just be another box to solve a problem I do not have.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #18,596 of 22,475
Just curious what other folks do regarding volume levels when using Hugo 2 in a hifi set up. Is it better to let the amp dominate how loud the volume is, with the Hugo at a lower volume setting, or is it the opposite, or perhaps somewhere in the middle?

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #18,597 of 22,475
Just curious what other folks do regarding volume levels when using Hugo 2 in a hifi set up. Is it better to let the amp dominate how loud the volume is, with the Hugo at a lower volume setting, or is it the opposite, or perhaps somewhere in the middle?

Put Hugo in DAC mode (power on whilst also holding XFeed) and the volume light should be lilac. Control system volume via the amp.

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #18,599 of 22,475
Hi thank you both for replies. I have set to DAC mode as advised.

Excuse my ignorance, but when you say DAC mode does that mean previously the DAC from my amp was overriding my Hugo 2's DAC?

And when you say "Four clicks on the remote", which button are you referring to?

Cheers

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #18,600 of 22,475

Hugo2 I guess. I don't know if there is a $1500 DAP that competes with it, but it should be head and shoulders above the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back