Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 2, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #18,526 of 22,475
line out is 100% volume on the hugo2 so be very careful when you reconnect headphones i.e. turn it right down.

Not sure what you mean here. Pre-set line level on Hugo 2 is 3V, and is something like blue-lilac on volume wheel. Four clicks on the remote pulls it back to about 2V think which is line-level used by some equipment.

100% volume on Hugo 2 I think is white. (Am not manually checking right now.) That is considerably over 3V or 2V.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #18,527 of 22,475
line level mode will set maximum volume on all outputs including headphones so the manual states.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #18,528 of 22,475
line level mode will set maximum volume on all outputs including headphones so the manual states.

I see the confusion. That must be a mistake.

On the next page of the manual is a heading Connectivity. It states, "To activate 3V RMS line-level press X-PHD button during start-up."

Then it shows a colour representation of line-level being violet. (I said lilac before, but this is what I meant.) Plus then colour representation below that of how there is more volume available after violet.

It must be a mistake because if you boot up Hugo 2 while pressing X-PHD, it boots up violet/lilac. There is more volume after that.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #18,529 of 22,475
By the way, I see posts every now and again about folk finding the Hugo 2 a touch bright. Or saying it lacks bass.

Honestly I never found the Hugo 2 to be like that. E.g. I have the AKG N5005, which are probably a bit u-shaped but not much. At the moment I have their mid-high boost filters in. I think it makes them neutral or very close, although I still find them close to neutral with the reference filters. I digress though, and I am confusing myself and Head-Fi readers too.

However what I meant to be saying was, have people who find Hugo 2 a touch bright, ever played with X-PHD? I find the following with X-PHD.

X-PHD = 0 -- Hugo 2 sounds neutral.
X-PHD = 1 -- Noticable bass boost. (Probably mid-bass boost.) The bass addition is clear/subtle though, and not just very subtle.

Further stages of X-PHD (= 2, =3) add more bass. Going from the last setting of X-PHD = 3, to X-PHD off, is a significant change in bass in the sound. Since it's once button press, it's easy to hear.

I genuinely think it will satiate Hugo 2 users who find Hugo 2 to be bright or thin. I mean it really thickens up the Hugo 2, with more progressive X-PHD.

That is with using headphones.

Additionally, I saw someone once mentioning this too, and Rob agreeing in some respect.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #18,530 of 22,475
For me, using the white filter, the Chord Hugo 2 colors the pinna/intimacy of the Hd800s. It does not feel distant sounding as hd800s is famous for.

Cold? The treble spikes of the Hd800s does not get exaggerated at all. There is no painful treble.

I feel the Chord Hugo 2 does have an influence on the intimacy/pinna area due to its synnergy with the Hd800s. It can't be a cold reference unforgiving sound.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #18,532 of 22,475
For me, using the white filter, the Chord Hugo 2 colors the pinna/intimacy of the Hd800s. It does feel distant sounding.

Cold? The treble spikes of the Hd800s does not get exaggerated at all. There is no painful treble.

I feel the Chord Hugo 2 does have an influence on the intimacy/pinna area due to its synnergy with the Hd800s. It can't be a cold reference unforgiving sound.

I am not talking about the filter button. I have mine on reference white or green.

I am talking about changing the Cross-Fade (X-PHD) setting, adds bass. Cross fade goes clear, red, green, blue, and then back to clear.

If you have not tried it with headphones, then experiment with it ASAP.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #18,536 of 22,475
I guess I'm trying to get one.. Lol. I wonder If I can find one at 3.5k used

For sure. In the past two months there have been 3 or 4 on sale for $3900 or so. I am sure they eventually sold for a bit less. They were mint condition units too, from trusted members.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #18,538 of 22,475
I love Hugo 2 ability to be so transparent, clear and ultra detailed without a treble spike.
However I do wonder if adding an amp will make it more musical... Without loosing the detail?
Maybe look at the asnswers you have already had and respond accordingly...

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #18,539 of 22,475
I love Hugo 2 ability to be so transparent, clear and ultra detailed without a treble spike.
However I do wonder if adding an amp will make it more musical... Without loosing the detail?
For me, yes. Even on a tube amp like my Valhalla 2, it's my favorite DAC, and I tend to prefer the amps I have over the H2 amp. It's still an excellent amp, but I now find myself only using the amp when I'm traveling. I'd just get a Qutest if I didn't travel so much.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #18,540 of 22,475
Does anyone use Hugo 2 with an amp?

I would advise against this as it will only add to distortion and colourize what you are listening too. Unless you are looking at driving say the Phi TC, Susvara, HE-6SE, I'd stick with the Hugo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back