Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 22, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #18,256 of 22,516
It probably isn’t you. I wonder if the problem is with the Android video player App you’re using. Or maybe it’s a player setting problem? Like is it possible that your player is trying to feed the Mojo/Hugo 2 say a Dolby Digital signal when it should convert the audio to 2-channel PCM first?
Interesting! I typically use the Android version of vlc. I'll see whether switching to another player helps

(edit) I think you've hit upon it! I just checked settings in vlc. There's an option for digital audio passthrough. I'll report back when I've tried it. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #18,257 of 22,516
Yes, I connect the bluesound via optical (or coax) with the h2. But, it's not that connection that is the issue. The issues are that (1) the bluesound does not support video formats (eg mkv, avi, etc) and (2) the only way to "cast" (if that's the right word) the audio portion of video formats is via Bluetooth - bluesound's support page acknowledges this.

The simplest solution would probably be to use roon. However, I don't use a pc or a Mac. If roon allowed using an Android tablet or phone as a "core", I think I would be all set. But this is not possible, I believe

One last thing - and please pardon my ignorance - I think one can use "airplay" to get this functionality. But I'm Android based
mkv’ avi are container.
ffmpeg is free. Bubbleupnp use it in android.
ffmpeg can take in the container the audio part and create an audio file.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silentlexx.ffmpeggui&hl=en_US

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #18,260 of 22,516
20200323_213519.jpg

Been getting lots of listening time now due to the lockdown

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #18,261 of 22,516

Been getting lots of listening time now due to the lockdown

Seeing your Hugo 2 in it's Van Nuy's case makes me sad, as I wish I didn't sell my Hugo 2 and it's case. On a lighter note, I got it for £1500+125 for the case, and I sold them 18 months later for £1300.

I pretend to myself that I rented Hugo 2 for 12 months for £200, it doesn't hurt so much when I look at it like that.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #18,262 of 22,516
[
Interesting! I typically use the Android version of vlc. I'll see whether switching to another player helps

(edit) I think you've hit upon it! I just checked settings in vlc. There's an option for digital audio passthrough. I'll report back when I've tried it. Many thanks!
Unfortunately, it did not work. Sigh.

Just to clear up any confusion: I'm not looking to separate the audio stream from the video stream in order to only play the audio. That's easy. I'm looking to listen to the audio through my h2 (hopefully low latency) while simultaneously watching the video on my tablet. The only way I can do that now is via Bluetooth.

Mar 23, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #18,263 of 22,516
[

Unfortunately, it did not work. Sigh.

Just to clear up any confusion: I'm not looking to separate the audio stream from the video stream in order to only play the audio. That's easy. I'm looking to listen to the audio through my h2 (hopefully low latency) while simultaneously watching the video on my tablet. The only way I can do that now is via Bluetooth.
I think we understand that now, but you have to use an app that lets you send the audio out to your external dac.
Android tablets let you watch the video on the tablet, and cast via wireless to an external dac.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #18,264 of 22,516
I think we understand that now, but you have to use an app that lets you send the audio out to your external dac.
Android tablets let you watch the video on the tablet, and cast via wireless to an external dac.
I've decided to give up on solving the problem! I've ordered a Lindemann Limetree Bridge instead. I understand that there are less expensive options (and much MORE expensive options, too - don't want to be the sucker who buys the Brooklyn Bridge :wink: ). But, given the rest of my setup, I thought it was appropriate. If the Lindemann works, I'll sell my Bluesound. If it doesn't, I'll keep the Bluesound and return the Lindemann.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #18,265 of 22,516
I've decided to give up on solving the problem! I've ordered a Lindemann Limetree Bridge instead. I understand that there are less expensive options (and much MORE expensive options, too - don't want to be the sucker who buys the Brooklyn Bridge :wink: ). But, given the rest of my setup, I thought it was appropriate. If the Lindemann works, I'll sell my Bluesound. If it doesn't, I'll keep the Bluesound and return the Lindemann.
Ok, and good luck with your experiment.

Mar 23, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #18,266 of 22,516
I’m actually confused by your purchasing decision as I doubt Lindemann would work. At that price, you can just buy an iPad and play your video files from your iPad directly via USB to Hugo 2 which is guaranteed to work...

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #18,267 of 22,516
I’m actually confused by your purchasing decision as I doubt Lindemann would work. At that price, you can just buy an iPad and play your video files from your iPad directly via USB to Hugo 2 which is guaranteed to work...
I'll post what I discover when the Lindemann arrives late this week. I am hopeful, though not certain, that I will be able to do what I want because the Lindemann is dlna-capable.

As for the iPad route, let's just say I'm not a fan of that ecosystem. In any case, I prefer keeping things simple, which is why: no pc; no Mac; no NAS; one hp only; etc. To each his own, of course.

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #18,268 of 22,516
I'll post what I discover when the Lindemann arrives late this week. I am hopeful, though not certain, that I will be able to do what I want because the Lindemann is dlna-capable.

As for the iPad route, let's just say I'm not a fan of that ecosystem. In any case, I prefer keeping things simple, which is why: no pc; no Mac; no NAS; one hp only; etc. To each his own, of course.

The Lindemann is $1000, at that price you might as well get the 2Go and call it a day.
Good luck.

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #18,269 of 22,516
The Lindemann is $1000, at that price you might as well get the 2Go and call it a day.
Good luck.
Yes, I thought of that, too - I've looked into a lot of devices. But the 2go does not work for me. I've got more that 2tb of music and using an external hard drive is just easier than a couple of expensive microsd cards. Who knows whether there'll be a new standard for microsd cards when 2tb cards finally become available. The fact that one loses the usb input when the h2 is paired with the 2go is also a (minor) problem. And 1tb microsd cards are still $200+ each (a 5tb external HDD costs about $100). So the price of the 2go goes up quite a bit, with a microsd solution that may not be relevant when larger storage finally shows up

Again, I'm not saying that my approach is right for everyone. I'm hoping it works for me! I'm not trying to proselytize. Just following up on a question I put to this thread

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #18,270 of 22,516
For anyone having heat issues using the Hugo2 as a DAC, and output via RCA to an amp.
Try using shorter RCA cables.
When using 1 meter Kimber Kable Ascent Audio Cable between the Hugo 2 and the HDV 820 the Hugo 2 gets hot enough to overheat, and shut itself down, and take a few minutes to start up again.
When switching to a 0.6 meter AudioQuest Sydney RCA cable there are no longer heat issues for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back