Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #18,241 of 22,537
You could pick up a Raspberry Pi 4, flash the sad card with Dietpi OS and it can be used as bridge/streamer.
What is your source device for playing the opera videos?
Thanks! My source for playing the videos is my Android tablet

WHY does RPi with Dietpi work? Is it because of dlna/upnp support?

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #18,242 of 22,537

You are welcome!

Yes, it has a variety of support options including dlna/upnp.
You can choose what functionality you need to install. Here is a list; https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=5#p5

The challenge here is it is not an out of the box configuration, you will need to install and set up these functions yourself.

Another option is to flash the SD card with Ropiee XL, this is a bit more straight forward and was originally created to support Roon and recently added AirPlay 2, dlna, and Spotify: https://ropieee.org/xl/
I only use it for Roon, and it is rock solid on that front.
Feel free to PM if you like, not sure if my responses are off-topic despite being related on how to feed your Hugo 2 in this use case.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #18,243 of 22,537

I am wondering if your tablet, transmitting to a Chromecast Audio, connected via optical to your H2 would be better.
Out of interest, is your tablet currently doing something unwanted like upscaling the data?

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #18,244 of 22,537
I hope someone here can help. I would really like to listen to my opera videos through my h2. The only way I can do this now is through bluetooth using my bluesound streamer (feeding the h2, of course). I don't like the sound via bluetooth at all.

Is there a way to feed the audio to the h2 via WiFi, rather than bluetooth, using a bridge/streamer other than the bluesound? I suspect the 2go might work. But for various reasons I'm not interested in the 2go.

What capability does a streamer/bridge need to enable me to do want I'm looking for? Is a bridge/streamer that is dlna/upnp-capable what I need? Or is there some other feature that I'm looking for?
I’m confused. I agree with @miketlse
But doesn’t your Bluesound streamer have an optical output that you can connect to the Hugo 2?

maybe if you can describe in more detail your current opera video setup, we can come up with a solution that costs you $0. Or maybe $10 for a toslink or USB cable

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #18,245 of 22,537
I’m confused. I agree with @miketlse
But doesn’t your Bluesound streamer have an optical output that you can connect to the Hugo 2?

maybe if you can describe in more detail your current opera video setup, we can come up with a solution that costs you $0. Or maybe $10 for a toslink or USB cable
Yes, I connect the bluesound via optical (or coax) with the h2. But, it's not that connection that is the issue. The issues are that (1) the bluesound does not support video formats (eg mkv, avi, etc) and (2) the only way to "cast" (if that's the right word) the audio portion of video formats is via Bluetooth - bluesound's support page acknowledges this.

The simplest solution would probably be to use roon. However, I don't use a pc or a Mac. If roon allowed using an Android tablet or phone as a "core", I think I would be all set. But this is not possible, I believe

One last thing - and please pardon my ignorance - I think one can use "airplay" to get this functionality. But I'm Android based

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #18,246 of 22,537
Yes, I connect the bluesound via optical (or coax) with the h2. But, it's not that connection that is the issue. The issues are that (1) the bluesound does not support video formats (eg mkv, avi, etc) and (2) the only way to "cast" (if that's the right word) the audio portion of video formats is via Bluetooth - bluesound's support page acknowledges this.

The simplest solution would probably be to use roon. However, I don't use a pc or a Mac. If roon allowed using an Android tablet or phone as a "core", I think I would be all set. But this is not possible, I believe

One last thing - and please pardon my ignorance - I think one can use "airplay" to get this functionality. But I'm Android based
just for clarification:
  • your opera videos are stored on your tablet?
  • you watch the video on your tablet screen?

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #18,247 of 22,537

AirPlay will not work on your Android. There are apps to facilitate, they are at best not reliable.

Have you considered getting an OTG USB cable and connecting your tablet directly to the Hugo 2? If you are watching and listening this would a cost effective solution. Roon does not play video files, you would need to extract the video into an audio format. At which point your Bluesound would be sufficient.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #18,248 of 22,537
just for clarification:
  • your opera videos are stored on your tablet?
  • you watch the video on your tablet screen?
Yes, that's right!

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #18,249 of 22,537
AirPlay will not work on your Android. There are apps to facilitate, they are at best not reliable.

Have you considered getting an OTG USB cable and connecting your tablet directly to the Hugo 2? If you are watching and listening this would a cost effective solution. Roon does not play video files, you would need to extract the video into an audio format. At which point your Bluesound would be sufficient.
I've tried the OTG route (tried it again last night), but it does not work for me. Does it work for you? If it does, perhaps I just need to get a different cable.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #18,251 of 22,537
I've tried the OTG route (tried it again last night), but it does not work for me. Does it work for you? If it does, perhaps I just need to get a different cable.
I am puzzled why you are using the bluesound.

Cast direct from your tablet to the CCA.
I know that production of the CCA was stopped months ago, but you can still buy them.
I bought two, so that I always had a backup if needed.

Google Chromecast audio: analog and digital output
This digital output, however, requires an optical mini-jack cable to Toslink, which is not supplied. We can then associate the Google CCA with an external DAC.

Network audio player
WiFi 2.4 / 5 GHz b / g / n / ac (WEP, WPA / WPA2)
DAC Asahi Kasei 24 bit / 192 kHz
Line output and optical S / PDIF
Compatible with 100 mobile applications Android and iOS
Compatible Android, iOS, PC, Mac and Linux
Multiroom
24-bit / 96 kHz playback to S / PDIF output
Automatic update

Connections
1x micro-USB port (power supply)
1x line output mini-jack doubled S / PDIF optical

Supplied accessories
Short 3.5 mm mini-jack cable (14 cm), micro-USB to USB-A cable (1.7 m), mains charger

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #18,252 of 22,537
I am puzzled why you are using the bluesound.

Cast direct from your tablet to the CCA.
I know that production of the CCA was stopped months ago, but you can still buy them.
I bought two, so that I always had a backup if needed.

Google Chromecast audio: analog and digital output
This digital output, however, requires an optical mini-jack cable to Toslink, which is not supplied. We can then associate the Google CCA with an external DAC.

Network audio player
WiFi 2.4 / 5 GHz b / g / n / ac (WEP, WPA / WPA2)
DAC Asahi Kasei 24 bit / 192 kHz
Line output and optical S / PDIF
Compatible with 100 mobile applications Android and iOS
Compatible Android, iOS, PC, Mac and Linux
Multiroom
24-bit / 96 kHz playback to S / PDIF output
Automatic update

Connections
1x micro-USB port (power supply)
1x line output mini-jack doubled S / PDIF optical

Supplied accessories
Short 3.5 mm mini-jack cable (14 cm), micro-USB to USB-A cable (1.7 m), mains charger
Thanks! I'll do some research on this. It may be just the thing for me.

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #18,253 of 22,537
A USB cable connection from Hugo 2 to your tablet really should work. Not sure why it doesn’t. Maybe it’s your audio settings, as in you still have the audio casting when it should just play off the tablet? Not sure since I’m not familiar with Android. Unless your tablet doesn’t support any USB dac, which would be very unusual. You did change the hugo 2 input to white which is USB, right?

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #18,254 of 22,537
A USB cable connection from Hugo 2 to your tablet really should work. Not sure why it doesn’t. Maybe it’s your audio settings, as in you still have the audio casting when it should just play off the tablet? Not sure since I’m not familiar with Android. Unless your tablet doesn’t support any USB dac, which would be very unusual. You did change the hugo 2 input to white which is USB, right?
I have no problem using OTG from my Android phone or tablet for AUDIO files (flac, mostly), but not for video formats like mkv. I have the same issue with my mojo.

It's quite possible I'm doing something wrong. I'm not technically savvy!

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #18,255 of 22,537
I have no problem using OTG from my Android phone or tablet for AUDIO files (flac, mostly), but not for video formats like mkv. I have the same issue with my mojo.

It's quite possible I'm doing something wrong. I'm not technically savvy!
It probably isn’t you. I wonder if the problem is with the Android video player App you’re using. Or maybe it’s a player setting problem? Like is it possible that your player is trying to feed the Mojo/Hugo 2 say a Dolby Digital signal when it should convert the audio to 2-channel PCM first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back