Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 15, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #18,226 of 22,537
Hi, in particular to @Rob Watts, I dare to ask about a little accessory and its potential effects.

I have two sources, my laptop (for ripped CDs, purchased hi-res and streaming [Qobuz]), and my old CD transport (for those relics I don‘t have ripped or can‘t stream). Most of the time, unless rate limits demand USB input, I am feeding the Hugo 2 optically (fine up to 192 kHz).

But physically switching optical input cables from time to to time is becoming a nuisance. How about inserting a TOSLINK input switcher, e.g. the little Marmitek Connect TS41 box https://www.marmitek.com/en/connect/switches/connect-ts41-audio-switch-4-in-1-out/? I am thinking of the additional jitter that box will bring. But I remember a post by @Rob Watts that jitter orders of magnitude larger than any standard jitter doesn‘t hurt the H2 sound quality.

So, is using such a box fine? Tks.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #18,227 of 22,537
Mar 15, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #18,228 of 22,537
It would be great if Rob (or anyone) could weigh in about the unusual power led colors I see on my device from a couple pages ago. It doesn't seem to be a problem but it's not in the manual.

(purple, alternating between blue (1 w) and yellow (??))

Seems to only happen when I have the device idling for hours and perhaps it's not drawing the same current from the computer's usb socket. Perhaps I should just use the 2W power supply and not power it from a USB socket, but it's never running out of battery or shutting down or anything.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #18,230 of 22,537
just to verify, theres no way to put Hugo 2 in DAC only mode right?
Not sure exactly what you mean. But here goes:

You can bypass the amp and set the H2 to line out mode by holding down the ball next to the power ball while powering on the h2.

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #18,232 of 22,537
unlike most DAC-Amps, Hugo2 doesn’t have an analog Amp stage. Hugo2’s gain/volume is adjusted in the digital stage. All it rather has, is a simple analog stage, to which, the Headphone Outs and Line Out are connected.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #18,233 of 22,537
It would be great if Rob (or anyone) could weigh in about the unusual power led colors I see on my device from a couple pages ago. It doesn't seem to be a problem but it's not in the manual.

(purple, alternating between blue (1 w) and yellow (??))

Seems to only happen when I have the device idling for hours and perhaps it's not drawing the same current from the computer's usb socket. Perhaps I should just use the 2W power supply and not power it from a USB socket, but it's never running out of battery or shutting down or anything.

Assuming Hugo 2 has a charger connected, the power switch should be white (full or fast charge rate) cyan (lower charge rate) or magenta (not charging and in desktop mode).

Perhaps the charger is shutting down and then Hugo 2 is indicating battery status? Yellow is below 50% charge - on the manual it looks orange.

Hi, in particular to @Rob Watts, I dare to ask about a little accessory and its potential effects.

I have two sources, my laptop (for ripped CDs, purchased hi-res and streaming [Qobuz]), and my old CD transport (for those relics I don‘t have ripped or can‘t stream). Most of the time, unless rate limits demand USB input, I am feeding the Hugo 2 optically (fine up to 192 kHz).

But physically switching optical input cables from time to to time is becoming a nuisance. How about inserting a TOSLINK input switcher, e.g. the little Marmitek Connect TS41 box https://www.marmitek.com/en/connect/switches/connect-ts41-audio-switch-4-in-1-out/? I am thinking of the additional jitter that box will bring. But I remember a post by @Rob Watts that jitter orders of magnitude larger than any standard jitter doesn‘t hurt the H2 sound quality.

So, is using such a box fine? Tks.

Yes I have recommended these switchers before although not tried it. If it works at 192k then you are good to go, without loss of SQ.

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #18,234 of 22,537
I think that answers it. my “purple” is magenta indicating desktop mode and the alternating between blue and yellow - which only happens when the monitor is in power saving mode or shut off (its from a monitor which is not always powered - I’m on a iMac with thunderbolt monitor that has extra usb in the back) otherwise its solid blue (cyan) except when its in magenta mode.

I think the unusual power scenario of my setup is the cause of all of those at various times

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #18,235 of 22,537
Not sure exactly what you mean. But here goes:

You can bypass the amp and set the H2 to line out mode by holding down the ball next to the power ball while powering on the h2.

Thats how I do it. I feed its analog out to my TA-ZH1ES in 3v mode and use it as an amp as seen in my picture. Interestingly, the tazzy detects the analog signal from the hugo as dsd 256 (its dsd 256 from my source to the hugo) even tho its analog which I thought was interesting but quite cool. It certainly sounds great, I get the better dac performance from the hugo and the warmer amp sound from the TA which is quite pleasant.

One day I might move to a fully chord setup since I’ve been so impressed with Hugo2 but for now money will keep me using it this way.

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #18,236 of 22,537
Yes I have recommended these switchers before although not tried it. If it works at 192k then you are good to go, without loss of SQ.
Thanks a lot. Great, I‘ll get a Marmitek TS41. In the meantime, I tried a friend‘s unit. I can confirm it works at 192k - don‘t get fooled by that comment on amazon.de, the person who said it works up to 96k only must have been using inappropriate optical cables or have an older outdated unit or whatever.

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #18,237 of 22,537
I am a happy Hugo 2Go owner. A massive improvement on the launch fiasco that was Poly.

I have owned my H2 for just over 6 months and have always used it in desktop mode. I find that its battery gets depleted far quicker than 2Go’s, which is not something I was expecting based on the specs.

Could it be that I need a new battery for H2 so soon? If yes, what’s the process for getting it done?

Thanks,
Nick

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #18,239 of 22,537
I hope someone here can help. I would really like to listen to my opera videos through my h2. The only way I can do this now is through bluetooth using my bluesound streamer (feeding the h2, of course). I don't like the sound via bluetooth at all.

Is there a way to feed the audio to the h2 via WiFi, rather than bluetooth, using a bridge/streamer other than the bluesound? I suspect the 2go might work. But for various reasons I'm not interested in the 2go.

What capability does a streamer/bridge need to enable me to do want I'm looking for? Is a bridge/streamer that is dlna/upnp-capable what I need? Or is there some other feature that I'm looking for?

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #18,240 of 22,537
I hope someone here can help. I would really like to listen to my opera videos through my h2. The only way I can do this now is through bluetooth using my bluesound streamer (feeding the h2, of course). I don't like the sound via bluetooth at all.

Is there a way to feed the audio to the h2 via WiFi, rather than bluetooth, using a bridge/streamer other than the bluesound? I suspect the 2go might work. But for various reasons I'm not interested in the 2go.

What capability does a streamer/bridge need to enable me to do want I'm looking for? Is a bridge/streamer that is dlna/upnp-capable what I need? Or is there some other feature that I'm looking for?
You could pick up a Raspberry Pi 4, flash the sad card with Dietpi OS and it can be used as bridge/streamer.
What is your source device for playing the opera videos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back