Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #17,206 of 22,501
I recently picked up a hugo2 for portable use about the house with my phone as source (via tidal offline at the highest setting through USB). Works absolutely fine and sounds great. However when I use the SP1000m as source (also via offline tidal at the highest settings through USB) it sounds noticeably better. A tad annoying because I was going to sell the SP1000m! Why would there be such a significant difference? What is it about the DAP which makes it better (or the phone which makes it worse!)? I'd be keen to know for future pairings...

The phone (if it's Android) is re-sampling the music. I'm not sure if the SP1000m is or not.

That could be your difference.

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #17,208 of 22,501
The phone (if it's Android) is re-sampling the music. I'm not sure if the SP1000m is or not.

That could be your difference.

^this. If you want Tidal without resampling on Android phones, use UAPP.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #17,209 of 22,501
@gonzfi Thanks for bringing this topic. This is the first time I am thinking of taking a DAC/AMP and my purpose is to use it as a dedicated DAC and make my music better. I have seen this talk - sound changes on Hugo 2 depending on the source. But this arise the question - why does it matter to get a good source? So far what I have understood a good DAC will make my music better. I need a good dedicated DAC to pair with my laptop as the built-in DAC inside a laptop are not normally audiophile level. Same I am expecting to get a flagship level sound by pairing with my mid-tier Sony ZX300 as a source with Hugo 2 as a DAC/AMP. Why will it sound better if I pair with WM1Z or SP1000 ?

Could be glad if anyone could clear my confusions.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #17,211 of 22,501
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #17,212 of 22,501
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #17,213 of 22,501
You will need the Apple camera connection kit (https://www.apple.com/us/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter) in order to connect it to your iPhone.
You don't need the connection kit. You just need this. Search this thread and you should probably find other Lightning to USB Mini cords which will work. http://meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html or this https://www.ebay.com/itm/iPhone-6-i...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have both and they both work with a 2017 iPad Pro, iPhone XSMax, and Iphone XR.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #17,214 of 22,501
You don't need the connection kit. You just need this. Search this thread and you should probably find other Lightning to USB Mini cords which will work. http://meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

I am not sure about the Meenova one but many of the options are actually butchered CCK cables as that is the only thing guaranteed to work. YMMV of course but be wary of getting uncertified cables as these could stop working with any future iOS update.

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #17,216 of 22,501
Any users have experience with the Mrspeakers Ether 2 with the H2 ? Also want some perspective comparison with the Meze Empyreans..is it worth the extra 1000$ vs the Ether 2, when used with Hugo 2..? I use an AQ Nighthawk at the moment. Looking for an upgrade, so need some help.

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #17,218 of 22,501
I haven't had the chance to try the Ether 2. The Empyreans are a piece of art. They sound amazing and are immensely comfortable, but nothing that blew my mind on that price range. I had I much more pleasant experience pairing Chord products with the ZMF Vérité.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #17,219 of 22,501
@Rob Watts Could i ask you how much power output does have both Mojo and Hugo2 at 6ohms? It would be nice to know the difference. Thank you very much.

I am away traveling to Melbourne to do the audio show there this week-end - and I don't have the figures for 6 ohms.

My best guess is 1W for Hugo 2, and 0.75W for Mojo. Mojo isn't rated for 8 ohm operation though, and am a bit skeptical that my estimates for Mojo are correct. Hugo 2 has been measured at 8 ohms with 1.05W RMS - all numbers are with 1% THD.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #17,220 of 22,501
OK, guys, Hugo2 sat on my table at work with AKG K3003 IEM. Boy its better than Mojo. Its like putting powefull class a amplifier to a system after flat AB.
what i hear over Mojo is: Bigger soundstage, more body, vocals are 1meter step ftowards me. Definetely more resolution, highs more precise and slightly more. Overall brighter clearer sound with more oval 3d sound stage. And start stop timw of guitar strings actually sounds like quick explode.

@Rob Watts thank you for putting your life time in this thing.

One more question. I plan for a moment to drive Hugo2 straight to Harbeth P3esr speakers. (Until getting amp). First, is it safe? How high can i get on volume with Hugo2, i mean, like on Mojo, we can go over white color level to very high levels. To a moment when it starts to clip? What power (watts) level is at lets say the maximum sound level? Is it at that moment over specified 1wat or no?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back