Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 21, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #17,236 of 22,465
I drew my own preferences I preferred other vehicles as my desktop to even power Hd800S, but hugo could.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #17,237 of 22,465
Quick question and apologies if this has been covered but I could find it in the thread

I’m looking for suggestions as to the best way manage unruly fat usb cables with the horrible little usb micro port. I have a tellurium q black diamond usb cable which like many high end cables doesn’t come in anything other than usb A -B connectors, so I’m forced to use the AudioQuest adapter which although it doesn’t seem to have an adverse effect on the sound, it does not make a very positive connection with the Hugo, especially when your cable’s like an anaconda. The stress this puts on the port and connector is quite full on, so I’m interested to hear if anyone’s come up with any solutions they’re happy with. Thx:)

Highly recommended amongst Hugo 2 users, not to use any hard solid block adapters. Either support the adapter underneath with packing so there is no pressure on the Hugo 2 port. Or buy a cabled adapter.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #17,238 of 22,465
Highly recommended amongst Hugo 2 users, not to use any hard solid block adapters. Either support the adapter underneath with packing so there is no pressure on the Hugo 2 port. Or buy a cabled adapter.

i had built diy support around the adapter, but ive been relocated by my wife, so i thought i'd look for a better option going forward. Have you seen a good USB B to Micro cable adapter that you can recommend?

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #17,239 of 22,465
i had built diy support around the adapter, but ive been relocated by my wife, so i thought i'd look for a better option going forward. Have you seen a good USB B to Micro cable adapter that you can recommend?

If you mean female printer port, to micro-C adapter then no, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.. However I would not be looking for ultra quality. (I know shielding etc is important.) For a mini length cable, it's not going to matter - well much anyway. In fact you could do something completely different. You could run a £1 cable from your source, to an Audioquest Jitterbug. Then from Jitter bug to a tiny length micro-USB cable. The Jitterbug does in my opinion cut noise, from either the PC source, or RFI. You are only open to RFI on the short length of cable after the Jitterbug.

(Initially I used to put Jitterbug on my PC port. It worked fine. However now I do what I suggested. Run a cable to Jitterbug. Then a short cable from Jitterbug to DAC. I have searched and I can buy 15cm cables for running from Jitterbug to DAC.)

You will however hear many opinions that Jitterbug does nothing or nothing substantial. However I bought one and was immediately shocked by how much RFI it blocked going in to my Mojo. (This was a long time ago.) The input to the Hugo 2 is said by Rob Watts to be filtered for RFI and noise, anyway. I personally can't hear any difference between USB in and optical in.

To validate option about the Jitterbug. I was so impressed I never even bothered to remove the Jitterbug to do any A-B testing. It took glare and brightness straight off the sound. (Noise from my PC would have been travelling the USB cable. Then getting into the DAC via USB power lines. Noise gets into the analogue parts of the DAC and causes brightness.) Also noted was that the Mojo sounded smaller in sound stage. … I almost thought, no I don't want this, but it was only a second's thought. I knew that the Jitterbug was right though, and decided just leave it and get used to it. (I also knew the Jitterbug was right because it technically can't damage the sound.) Never looked back.

To reinforce my opinion, and justify me not even bothering to A-B test the Jitterbug. I saw Rob Watts post about what he thought about the Jitterbug. (I am sure xX Relic Xx quoted Rob's post for me.) Rob said exactly as I did. Jitterbug removed glare, brightness. He made more points, but the general idea, is it makes the DAC warmer, fuller, and less fatiguing.

Another suggestion of course is buy another new cable. That's not what you want to hear probably; but folk were recently singing praises for the USB Supra 2.0

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #17,242 of 22,465
Okay i get that, but isn't 740MW @32 a little on the low side? for instance i doubt an HE-6 would get enough juice to be amped to high volume levels?

No, it is not low. Do you have an HE-6? It is a special case and just because an amplifier is not perfect for it does not mean it is not good enough in 99% of users and headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #17,244 of 22,465
Quick question and apologies if this has been covered but I could find it in the thread

I’m looking for suggestions as to the best way manage unruly fat usb cables with the horrible little usb micro port. I have a tellurium q black diamond usb cable which like many high end cables doesn’t come in anything other than usb A -B connectors, so I’m forced to use the AudioQuest adapter which although it doesn’t seem to have an adverse effect on the sound, it does not make a very positive connection with the Hugo, especially when your cable’s like an anaconda. The stress this puts on the port and connector is quite full on, so I’m interested to hear if anyone’s come up with any solutions they’re happy with. Thx:)

This is why i would prefer desktop amp & dac. Hugo 2 is missing the option to connect with high end usb cables without adapters

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #17,245 of 22,465
Yes i do, which is why i was curious if the Hugo 2 could drive them adequately.

TT2 is what you want for the HE-6: driven from the XLR in balanced mode. However, the more I listen, I feel like 1) speakers are the way to go from TT2 and 2) ther are better headphones. For example, Focal Elex will give more detail and HD6xx will give as good a non-fatiguing listening session. My HE-6 are heavily modified (grill, bass lens, Dekoni hybrid pads), but I find myself listen to headphones less in general, and the HE-6 less specifically. Also, not schilling for Drop, but those two phones offe incredible value. YMMV.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #17,247 of 22,465
yes with 2 bnc cables and an audioquest adaptor. and 2 bnc to rca adaptors. search thread. or buy ready made cable from moon audio.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #17,249 of 22,465
i have and many others and the results are excellent. better than a solo TT2 imho i.e. TT2 no mscaler.

IMG_20180924_205423007.jpeg IMG_20180924_211426389.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back