CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 7, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #25,877 of 25,919
I occasionally sit down for a nice music session and think oh oh there is something wrong here. After checking all knobs, dials and switches are correct…..I realise it’s ME!
Exactly, there are many variables that contribute to your enjoyment of the system. There is sleep, your mood, and if you're stressed or not, and a few others. This hobby is not straight forward as many would like us to believe, it's not just the system, a big part of it is how well you're doing as well. There is also the fact that our brains adapt to the new sound quality, then it all becomes "boring" as it is now the new framework, take a break from your system for two weeks, or a month and then go back and listen, if you're well rested and unstressed it will sound wonderful, especially if you're listening to crappy systems in the meantime, like those at most audio dealers. Enjoy.

May 7, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #25,878 of 25,919
boring? I can't stop

May 7, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #25,881 of 25,919
Stay away from “audiophile” recordings or those familiar ones that make your system sound good for a while,
Instead play through your collection with stuff that makes you feel good … and unearth some forgotten gems while you’re there .. 😉
Bauhaus, Sisters of mercy,...terrible recordings but it's a signature of a time, it must be that way to trigger the exact forgotten feelings of the past, so I sure concur on that part.

But for recent music I'm more demanding though, a mediocre song that is very well mastered is still therapeutic imho, this latter is what I can't stop giving a priority.
Like here, same good ole New Wave energy, a mere recent production all together, better dymamics, I love that.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #25,883 of 25,919
Has anyone compared DAVE to Aqua Formula or APL DSD SR dacs? I am considering these two dacs with their respective streamers and was wondering if I’d loose out on DAVEs transients, airiness and transparency. Probably. Hmm.

May 8, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #25,884 of 25,919
That there is a :fire: topic around these parts.

If I understand correctly, @chelseafc thinks Mojo2 is better than Dave if it has MScaler and key tweaks…
Since I sold my MS/DAVE combo about 6 weeks ago, I have not been missing it a bit.

My current setup:
PGGB on NAS -> Optical Ethernet Switch -> EtherREGEN -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> SRC-DX -> OPTO-DX -> M2 (DBNC input).

M2 is powered by a supercap power supply (internal battery disconnected).
No connection to the mains.

SRC-DX and OPTO-DX is also powered by the supercaps.

Compared to the MS/DAVE, this setup is better in every way, but some people might find it less warm, or even dry.
My tastes are evolving towards a more transparent (albeit less forgiving) sound, so it is a welcome change for me.

PS. To state the obvious, M2 cannot compete with DAVE or MS/DAVE on its own, you need to bypass its internal upsampling and give it a pure 705/768 material to shine.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #25,885 of 25,919
Dave's future companion:

QMS.jpg

I put it in headgear Here
Visit the anticipation thread Here

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #25,887 of 25,919
May 10, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #25,888 of 25,919
I wonder how these compare to the Farad3 supplies (which I'm using)...?
Maarten @MvRBE10 answered:

The Farad 10's give a better coherent sound giving further ease and clearness around the individual instruments vs the type 3, he said you can contact him perhaps by email if you like

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back