CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #25,636 of 25,873
transparency is over rated, just sayin
LOL! I actually mostly agree with you. That's why I make ample use of the tone & soundstage adjustment knobs on the Zahl. But I absolutely can't stand leaving resolving ability and imaging from the Dave on the table when an amp can't carry that through.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #25,637 of 25,873
tone and soundstage knobs? well you lost me there. but my observation on amps stands. but imo and ymmv.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #25,638 of 25,873
tone and soundstage knobs? well you lost me there. but my observation on amps stands. but imo and ymmv.
It has analogue bass and treble adjustments, and a neat analogue adjustment that expands or contracts the soundstage (sort of similar to a crossfeed effect, but definitely distinct):

PXL_20240305_210208075.PORTRAIT.jpg

Here, I have a small bass boost, no treble adjustment, and have the soundstage cranked to max. I love the effect when using the Dave (I don't use Dave's crossfeed, and rely on the Zahl adjustment instead).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #25,639 of 25,873
Filters, bass boost isn’t the distortion I meant but if it works for you. One can achieve all that straight up. but I’m not trolling the Dave thread, I’ll just leave it with my observation. But there’s many paths and each yield utility.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #25,640 of 25,873
With all your comparisons, do you have a recommendation for a totally (as best as possible) transparent headphone amp that will preserve the sound of the Dave headphone amp but drive low sensitivity headphones better?

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I've been impressed with the transparency of the Zahl HM1 direct from Dave to drive HPs like the TC, Valkyria, and SR1a (through its interface box).

I don't think transparency loss would be an issue with any high quality amp known for transparency, Zahl included. CFA3 is another. Even with the WA33, a tube amp known to have a more SS like transparency, there was no considerable or even detectable loss of transparency in my many, many rounds of testing with the Utopia, L3000 and a few others. With amps that add more color, there is clearly a difference, as is the case with my Primaluna EVO 400 behind it.

Now what does happen, is through the Dave alone, there is a lack of timbre/thinness and less authoritative bass (not to a huge degree w/either), and with high quality amping this improves. Sometimes this leaner sound is perceived to be more transparent, as improved timbre and bass can take away from some people's perception of "transparency".

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #25,641 of 25,873
transparency is over rated, just sayin
Hiker816 said:
LOL! I actually mostly agree with you. That's why I make ample use of the tone & soundstage adjustment knobs on the Zahl. But I absolutely can't stand leaving resolving ability and imaging from the Dave on the table when an amp can't carry that through.

Hey fellas, I haven't been back here in a while, and I'm slowly catching up. It's nice to see how things have developed and are still the same. Like some of you, after many rounds of this debate, I just wanted to chime in.

Transparency is overrated in the sense that it just isn't everything. There are so many other parts to the sound: timbre, soundstage, dynamics etc. So a lot of it comes down to how high you personally rate transparency in that mix.

But, here's the thing, if transparency isn't at the top, or near the top of your list, then it's worth taking a step back and reconsidering the choice of DAC. If you want more dreamy full timbre and soundstage, R2R's like the Holo May, even Terminator, are worth a listen. If you're willing to trade transparency for weightier notes, maybe dynamics, then DCS offerings are worth a look.

Dave's thing is transparency, the breathtaking realism that comes from removing everything between you and the sound. That's why it's so hard to leave transparency "on the table" when you're building a system around it. I think it's true, if you have an uber transparent amp and pristine connectors, you're not giving up so much. But, the elegance of the design from DAC to pulse array to transducer is a thing of beauty. That's the thinking, good or bad, behind approaching it from the other end, and adding caps, improving power supplies, synergizing the right streamer, etc.

Honestly, I think even the real-world psychological level shouldn't be totally dismissed. You spend a lot of money to just sink into the music. And what you "leave on the table" nags at you. I know, I know, around here, everything nags at you. And if you don't nag yourself someone else will nag you for it. So, here's to nagging each other toward great sound.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #25,642 of 25,873
And what you "leave on the table" nags at you. I know, I know, around here, everything nags at you. And if you don't nag yourself someone else will nag you for it. So, here's to nagging each other toward great sound.
Thats exactly why i did my my cap method and not just went for the best amp i can find.

Its some of the transparency treat i leave on the table nagging at me.

I dare to say the simplicity of Dave's amp driving headphones direct, when feed rock solid voltage done by the right cap buffering, beats the best external amps out there. Just because theres nothing added to degrade anything.. no added circuit, no cables and contacts and no extra PSU of those amps adding noise through the mains.

It has all the transparency with the power and balls of the best amp. Combined its just pure mindblowing bliss :k701smile:

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #25,644 of 25,873
A beautiful album of strings, like music for an old black and white film, beautiful.

Truth in our time, Philip Glass.

F8B0C1F6-051F-4A11-A233-DD38DCC0A3D6.jpeg
I haven’t listened to Glass in a long time. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #25,649 of 25,873
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #25,650 of 25,873

Users who are viewing this thread

Back