CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #25,576 of 25,863
The TT2 is a great DAC!
I had my TT2 for a year or two and was very happy.
I wondered if the DAVE (and cost) would be worth the upgrade and it was. I wanted a more reveling DAC and some don't.
I went from the Qutest to TT2 to DAVE. All were good and every step up was worth it.
The DAVE was what I was looking for but some prefer less detail and a warmer presentation.
Add M Scaler to DAVE for warmer and more musical presentation.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #25,577 of 25,863
I could easily get lost in a word salad over the improvements. The simplest way I can think of is to say that basically everything – across the board – is lifted and bettered on DAVE. Clarity, separation (by god!), dynamics...the bass is so clear and thick and punchy. Instruments like piano sing, vocals take you inside the vocal booth during recording...I could go on.

I don't hear a drop of this thinness that many have mentioned. Within seconds of the first track I listened to (Airbag by Radiohead, my favourite album, and I know every track inside out and sideways) I knew it was a completely different experience.

For context, I would liken it to going from a well-mastered Bluray to a 4K UHD. That's reductive, but I don't have the language to describe what I'm hearing.

To put it even simpler: music sounds richer, more dynamic and beautiful. And the crossfeed function is an another level compared to TT2. Max crossfeed on a busy orchestral suite is *chef's kiss*.

I listen purely on headphones, btw.

I want to try a Holo May at some point, and like it, I feel like everyone should get a chance to at least experience DAVE, even if you decide it's not for you. It's one of those pools you really have to jump in to at some stage, just so you can finally know.

For further context, music made me cry today. It hasn't done that for a long while. Make of that what you will :)
Wow, thanks! I really appreciate it :beerchug:

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #25,579 of 25,863
What are the main differences you hear?
You don’t find it thinner and more sterile sounding compared to TT2?

I have read that people find the TT2 to sound fuller and more forgiving.
I own the Mscaler and TT2 myself and am curious. I use it with speakers though.
I went from the Hugo 2 to TT2 to DAVE to modded DAVE. The biggest improvement was bass texture, in my opinion. The TT2 has a better headphone out than the stock DAVE, but with the modded PSU DAVE, there’s no difference and the sound quality is better. The modded psu mDAVE is better than the TT2 in almost every way. I’ve toyed around with getting a new high end dac, but the modded mDAVE really has few flaws. It might be a bit sterile though for some.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #25,580 of 25,863
I went from the Hugo 2 to TT2 to DAVE to modded DAVE. The biggest improvement was bass texture, in my opinion. The TT2 has a better headphone out than the stock DAVE, but with the modded PSU DAVE, there’s no difference and the sound quality is better. The modded psu mDAVE is better than the TT2 in almost every way. I’ve toyed around with getting a new high end dac, but the modded mDAVE really has few flaws. It might be a bit sterile though for some.
Like @Ciggavelli, I bought a DC4-ARC6 and was pleasantly surprised with the far from subtle improvement of an already good DAVE.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #25,583 of 25,863
Don't, I had both and prefer the TT-2 with M Scaler, while the DAVE is slightly more revealing, the TT-2 in my opinion is more musical, especially with the M Scaler.
Can't agree with this, I'm afraid. And it's about way more than just revealing. It's across the board improvements and it's not subtle.

The TT2 is still excellent gear and there's no need to look over shoulders if you like how it sounds. But for me, solo Dave especially with cross feed functions take it into another realm entirely.

Also @GuiltyRocker is listening on speakers and I only listen on headphones, so this isn't straightforward.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #25,585 of 25,863
Can't agree with this, I'm afraid. And it's about way more than just revealing. It's across the board improvements and it's not subtle.

The TT2 is still excellent gear and there's no need to look over shoulders if you like how it sounds. But for me, solo Dave especially with cross feed functions take it into another realm entirely.

Also @GuiltyRocker is listening on speakers and I only listen on headphones, so this isn't straightforward.
Well I only listen with speakers (I do not own any headphones) and I have had TT2 and Dave side by side in my system for a few weeks before selling the TT2. For me the two immediately noticeable differences are that the Dave has a lovely subtle and utterly transparent top end compared the TT2 and also the Dave bass is really tight and firm compared to the TT2 (I find the TT2 bass to be too soft and a bit muddled compared to the Dave).

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #25,587 of 25,863

I am listening to speakers and totally cool you disagree, the DAVE is a more visceral DAC, TT-2 is more laid back. To me in combination with the M Scaler it is more musical.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #25,588 of 25,863
How would you compare MS/mojo2 to MS/DAVE?
Some claim the upscaled Mojo2 is better, I have hard time believing it.
From hear-remembering, MS+Dave more holographic, bigger stage.
But I'll make a side by side comparison.

I wouldn't NEED more than MS+Mojo2, sometimes I think MS+Dave is too good, too much with that class A amp after it. Ridiculous absurd pooring of quality and it keeps pooring, but then again I also love that ear-gasm by times for sure. Like, dude am I really hearing this? (Meze Elite)

I love electronic music and when a good recording hits the max Chord gear, I near burst laughing whats happening, especially the bass, that bass! In-sane. Not just quantity, but very precisely controled.
Can it go even deeper? Yep, with the original Meze Empyrean, the ultimate bass monster, your bones rattle! Too dark a headphone for guitar and voice, but for hefty electro and raw rock, oh boy. I understand if people also want something mere relaxed.

It's unfair to compare Mojo output section with Dave's output section in terms of power, that little mojo batt can't pump the same way. So both should be compared with same amp after it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #25,589 of 25,863
From hear-remembering, MS+Dave more holographic, bigger stage.
But I'll make a side by side comparison.

I wouldn't NEED more than MS+Mojo2, sometimes I think MS+Dave is too good, too much with that class A amp after it. Ridiculous absurd pooring of quality and it keeps pooring, but then again I also love that ear-gasm by times for sure. Like, dude am I really hearing this? (Meze Elite)

I love electronic music and when a good recording hits the max Chord gear, I near burst laughing whats happening, especially the bass, that bass! In-sane. Not just quantity, but very precisely controled.
Can it go even deeper? Yep, with the original Meze Empyrean, the ultimate bass monster, your bones rattle! Too dark a headphone for guitar and voice, but for hefty electro and raw rock, oh boy. I understand if people also want something mere relaxed.

It's unfair to compare Mojo output section with Dave's output section in terms of power, that little mojo batt can't pump the same way. So both should be compared with same amp after it.
That is interesting.
If not for DAVE's headphone driving capabilities (I am using it in a full system), would you say MS+Mojo2 could give MS+DAVE run for its money?

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #25,590 of 25,863
not a chance,2 different universes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back