CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #25,366 of 26,005
Just to clarify - the initial prototypes of Dave had slightly worse harmonic distortion than the dCS Vivaldi - which was the lowest harmonic distortion DAC in 2015 - and I wanted to improve on that simply from a measurement perspective. And when I had cracked the distortion problem, that led to better sound quality performance too.

But categorically there never was a design goal to beat the sound quality and the musical performance of the Vivaldi, nor for that matter any other DAC, as compared against the real benchmark of live un-amplified sound they are all inadequate. And they are all inadequate for solid technical reasons, such as transient timing reconstruction, small signal amplitude accuracy and noise floor modulation. Indeed, I can't think of any technical quality from any other DACs at any price (be it chip or custom designed) that I respect or admire. As I said, my only target to beat (or rather to match) is the sound of live un-amplified music and that is my only comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #25,367 of 26,005

Haha… Fair enough. Respect. Thanks for finding the video.

It’s always interesting how words are interpreted. I heard he wants to beat a competitor in one technical aspect. You heard he wants to beat a competitor and use the competitor as a benchmark.

But I concede, you heard what you heard and Rob Watts said what he said as we can see in the video.

We just interpret the comment differently. Regardless, the video is super interesting because it reveals the thought process and work process of the designer.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #25,368 of 26,005
Haha… Fair enough. Respect. Thanks for finding the video.

It’s always interesting how words are interpreted. I heard he wants to beat a competitor in one technical aspect. You heard he wants to beat a competitor and use the competitor as a benchmark.

But I concede, you heard what you heard and Rob Watts said what he said as we can see in the video.

We just interpret the comment differently. Regardless, the video is super interesting because it reveals the thought process and work process of the designer.
Yes, interpretation is always a risk for any designer who gives interviews/presentations.
Many designers will be told by their employers to say nothing, and make no public statements.
We should be thankful that Rob gives public presentations, even though the differing interpretations can trigger debate on the Chord threads.

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #25,373 of 26,005
IMG_6291.jpeg

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #25,376 of 26,005
To my understanding this is more aimed at pro audio doing live recordings and functions not us. Of course, we’ll take advantage of it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back