CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #25,396 of 26,077
Interesting. Do you feel like you’re accepting some trade offs? Small stage, weaker dynamics in exchange for better separation, detail and resolution?
No, no compromise. I push the volume up to high levels without distortion or harshness.

Since the system is completely isolated from the electricity grid, I have very low EMI/RFI.

The sound is very warm but at the same time precise. Good dynamics and sound stage.

Using crossfeed 3.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #25,397 of 26,077
No, no compromise. I push the volume up to high levels without distortion or harshness.

Since the system is completely isolated from the electricity grid, I have very low EMI/RFI.

The sound is very warm but at the same time precise. Good dynamics and sound stage.

Using crossfeed 3.
That’s great. Sounds like a wonderful setup. How did you do the battery power supplies?

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #25,398 of 26,077
That’s great. Sounds like a wonderful setup. How did you do the battery power supplies?
If you go to my previous posts you can see all the construction phases.

I started with the Lumin streamer by disconnecting the internal power supply and with the M Scaler, and then finished with the creation for DAVE.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #25,399 of 26,077
If you go to my previous posts you can see all the construction phases.

I started with the Lumin streamer by disconnecting the internal power supply and with the M Scaler, and then finished with the creation for DAVE.
Nice thanks

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #25,400 of 26,077
I’m also using a zen stream. How do you connect it to Dave (or to mscaler)? BNC or USB? What cable do you use?
It’s the innuous zen mk 3 sorry connected to mscaler via usb, then via opto dx to Dave.

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #25,403 of 26,077
Yes, with great satisfaction. I'm not interested in adding an external amplifier.
it works but the abyss is much better adding an external amp....at least for me

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #25,404 of 26,077
Most definitely, unless you are using a LPS, but still, a (good) external amp is better

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #25,407 of 26,077
It’s hardly surprising that this thread gets bombed by Trolls. Some of the comments are the equivalent of putting bread out on the drive then wondering why the car is covered in Bird Shot! 😁
I get how some of us get overly enthusiastic in this thread.

But think of how some of our friends would sometimes brag about stuff that they own being the best (car, watch, phone, whatever). How often do we actually challenge them and go no, something else is much better? More importantly, if you happen to be having this conversation at a restaurant or coffee shop, how often do strangers come over to argue with your friend that their favorite product sucks.

To say that we deserve Trolls in this thread really feels like blaming the victim here. It is the Trolls who are breaking decorum.

That said, having re-read things others and I have written, I do think sometimes we overreacted to others’ criticisms when they weren’t trying to be trolls. But then, once again, think of that enthusiastic buddy of yours, when he starts overreacting after you started criticizing the product he loves, is it his fault or yours? He was just sharing with you the newest joy in his life.

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #25,408 of 26,077
I get how some of us get overly enthusiastic in this thread.

But think of how some of our friends would sometimes brag about stuff that they own being the best (car, watch, phone, whatever). How often do we actually challenge them and go no, something else is much better? More importantly, if you happen to be having this conversation at a restaurant or coffee shop, how often do strangers come over to argue with your friend that their favorite product sucks.

To say that we deserve Trolls in this thread really feels like blaming the victim here. It is the Trolls who are breaking decorum.

That said, having re-read things others and I have written, I do think sometimes we overreacted to others’ criticisms when they weren’t trying to be trolls. But then, once again, think of that enthusiastic buddy of yours, when he starts overreacting after you started criticizing the product he loves, is it his fault or yours? He was just sharing with you the newest joy in his life.
I think there is an important distinction between enthusiastic buddies, and enthusiatic youtube influencers, who don't care whether what they post is true, but rather how many clicks it will generate on their site (and consequently how much they earn).

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #25,409 of 26,077
Most definitely, unless you are using a LPS, but still, a (good) external amp is better
Just to clarify and avoid creating misunderstandings: the answers to the questions I am asked are in relation to my listening preferences.

So for me, in my system, with my power supply, the Abyss sounds perfect.

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #25,410 of 26,077
Will there be eq in the new scaler or the new dac (or both)?
The new Scaler, if I understood correctly in an old post by Rob, should have a similar or more complex equalizer than the one used for Mojo2.

So without compromising sound quality.

Instead I think the Ultima reference DAC should also have a headphone amplifier included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back