CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 14, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #24,496 of 25,851
Jun 14, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #24,497 of 25,851
I just got into it with this guy Mikey OCD who is pushing Playback designs DACs and bashing Chord, while Playback Designs does look nice there is no reason for this bashing behavior. I also find it hard to believe that a DAC that uses 1-bit sigma Delta with apodizing filters is really as good as this guy says. This thing is not even multibit, there is a ton of information on how bad this is. I responded this way because he bashes Chord in his video. 😂
1000083470.png
Where's his video?

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #24,502 of 25,851
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #24,506 of 25,851
Another to consider is the PLiXiR Elite BDC. Sean Jacob’s will probably be one of the best money can buy. The PLiXiR and Farad more comparable in price.
Any external PSU can only provide better voltage stabilisation at Dave's PCB input giving a performance 'boost'.
This is due to buffercaps they all deploy.

Once you apply that to Dave's final regulator stage.. youll hear what Dave truly is capable of.

I compared costly solutions to it.. and im not wanting them.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #24,507 of 25,851
Any external PSU can only provide better voltage stabilisation at Dave's PCB input giving a performance 'boost'.
This is due to buffercaps they all deploy.

Once you apply that to Dave's final regulator stage.. youll hear what Dave truly is capable of.

I compared costly solutions to it.. and im not wanting them.
So the question is, how to deploy some buffercaps in a reasonably costly way? Is there any available solution? And if there is any, is it for people without any soldering skills like me?

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #24,508 of 25,851
So the question is, how to deploy some buffercaps in a reasonably costly way? Is there any available solution? And if there is any, is it for people without any soldering skills like me?
The howto is in my signature..
But unfortunately soldering is required

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #24,509 of 25,851

Most people won't have the skills to or desire to try to have that work commissioned. It seems to me then, that the Farad is the best bang for the buck option for the average person to try out. The insights are helpful however, as it suggests that there may not be much benefit to spending considerably more on the Sean Jacobs options. Although I have not tried any, and from the impressions those that have tried any of the options have seemed equally impressed.

Jul 8, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #24,510 of 25,851
The howto is in my signature..
But unfortunately soldering is required
Thanks! Is it the Supercharging Dave's amp? I thought this was only for the headphone out. Am I mistaken? I will look at it again. But it isn't easy to find someone around with good soldering skills who can do it quickly for me :frowning2:

Most people won't have the skills to or desire to try to have that work commissioned. It seems to me then, that the Farad is the best bang for the buck option for the average person to try out. The insights are helpful however, as it suggests that there may not be much benefit to spending considerably more on the Sean Jacobs options. Although I have not tried any, and from the impressions those that have tried any of the options have seemed equally impressed.
Thanks! I see that the Farad is 2760€ (excl.VAT) at min. This is relatively costly without hearing the effects first. Instead of investing this sum, I would rather wait for the next interactions of Chord stuff - M Scaler 2 and Dave 2 / Ultima (or whatever the names will be).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back