CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 6, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #24,451 of 26,005
this would mean that you always have a better sense of space with a good headphone than a good speaker
With speakers CF is not used.

What i see happening with headphones is two things: sounds close to the left mike being reflected and reaching the right mike is artificially sent back to the left earcup ..but with a phase shift breaking down on the original left mike sound.

Also together with the natural reflected sound a copy from the other channel is electronically mixed with it but not in exact phase.

I just dont like this ..unless theres no natural room mixing happening.. i would keep CF off.

May 6, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #24,452 of 26,005
hi all thinking of upgrading DAVE powersupply for my setup (whilst waiting for choral mscaler..........if ever appears) really interested in peoples experiences, (been looking at the FARAD one as unfortunately couldnt strech to the sean jacobs one). appreciate bearing about peoples experiences with them thx

May 6, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #24,453 of 26,005
hi all thinking of upgrading DAVE powersupply for my setup (whilst waiting for choral mscaler..........if ever appears) really interested in peoples experiences, (been looking at the FARAD one as unfortunately couldnt strech to the sean jacobs one). appreciate bearing about peoples experiences with them thx
Theres quite some impressions here to find already.

You cant go wrong on either of them being Sean Jacobs, Farad or capacitor modifying your Dave.

Imo its about stabilizing Dave's voltage what gives more authority and meat to the sound.. specially using headphones driven from Dave direct you will notice this.

May 7, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #24,454 of 26,005
With speakers CF is not used.
What I meant was, that with speakers you always have naturally occurring crossfeed as you have a mix of both channels reaching your ears and crossfeed on headphones just tries to replicate that (more or less accurate)

May 10, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #24,455 of 26,005
@project86
Since hf wont let me post a reaction >1000 characters to your Review .. i post it here:

Very nice writeup!!
Impressive list of comparisons indeed.

As a Dave owner i must agree with the drawback you noted although if not A-B compared to other references it would not be obvious.

Its after i read what you said about 'thinness' and by many others and comparing it with Chord's own TT2 internal amp drive i found this out too.

So as a DIY guy i did my own research and finally applied a €50 capacitor addon to Dave's amp section.
As you can see on the link in my signature.

And i found Dave got such wonderful fullness and timbre, i would call it realness while keeping its speed and resolution. It sound nowhere near its stock form. Its a must heard change.

As for DSD ..i do really like this format's property of fluidity and so able to keep the high frequency registers smooth.. even if a recording is harsch by itself, very appealing..

Dave is indeed not smoothing this up but let me hear now details inside harsch recorded trebbles and in the same time keeping warm and bodied instruments their identities.

And im not talking about adding a Mscaler yet, which can add, but also take qualities of different mastered material.

Anyway, thankyou for your quality review 😉 its added to my list of auditions

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #24,457 of 26,005
May 14, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #24,458 of 26,005
I sensed MQA was DOA and a false start for many manufacturers that spent millions to implement the technology. @Rob Watts and Chord made the right decision:
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2023/04/11/is-there-money-in-hifi-streaming-mqa-bankruptcy/
He certainly did, I immediately wasn't impressed when all my DSD files destroyed MQA versions, they weren't even close, so I knew it wasn't good then. My ears told me, their use of leaky minimum phase filters informed it wasn't good as well.

May 18, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #24,459 of 26,005
I must say that as I peruse the Munich High-End show, I find it amusing that people think the DAVE is expensive. Half these booths have cables that cost as much as the DAVE, each.

Got a chance to listen to the MSB Select and the top dCS. The MSB is extraordinary. It paints a deep and wide soundscape. Incredible for films and film scores. The sound goes way back and is, for lack of a better term, dense. The dCS is a bit more present but not as engaging imho. Neither has the DAVE's clarity and precision though. The DAVE alone sounds more digital than the MSB, but M-Dave is a step up in getting that analog-like engagement that the MSB shines at.

Also, the new Yamaha headphones are fantastic.

May 19, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #24,460 of 26,005
Omg😯 damn that improvement..
I knew there was even more SQ to get from Dave.. im on to new insight about Dave's power section bc of my testing with a Sj cap board making things worse in beginning..

I will post about it in my thread soon

May 19, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #24,462 of 26,005
May 19, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #24,463 of 26,005
Anyone know if the DAVE headphone amp could drive these ok?

https://hedd.audio/products/heddphone

DAVE-HEDDphone.png

Personally I preferred them in combination with an external amp, but that's just me. My normal listening level is around 80 dB/SPL, so there is/was plenty of headroom, on paper.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #24,464 of 26,005

Personally I preferred them in combination with an external amp, but that's just me. My normal listening level is around 80 dB/SPL, so there is/was plenty of headroom, on paper.
The thing is.. in terms of max voltage and current Dave's amp is more than capable to drive inefficient headphones to ear splitting volumes.

But its about dynamic energy and authority.. in stock form it lacks impact and sounds 'thin' with marvelous resolution and great timing precision i must add. But it misses the Oomph and power feeling that one gets compared to in combination with some of the best amps out there.

Dave's amp section is briliant made.. very capable due to simple design with few components. But it has one flaw.. its extremely sensitive to modulating voltage caused by its own drawn audio related currents.

I noticed huge changes in its sound character when i made changes on the regulator setup.
Getting both worse and enormously improved.
Im making a drawing to explain the steps i took to come to my findings..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back