CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 3, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #22,337 of 25,868
I've always used and enjoyed Dave exclusively on headphones, but over the past 6 months have built a 2-channel system that is getting the vast majority of my listening time.

Martin Logan Expression 13A via Pass Labs Int 60.

I spent a lot of time on my Dave front end while focusing on headphones. I got a Lumin U1 streamer in front of it with a Chord M-Scaler leveraging both Opto Dx fiber and Wave ferrites. All powered by a PS Audio powerplant,

Now the ML/Pass has been a revelation, ESPECIALLY with the Dave front end. It's sublime - and has allowed me to much better understand it's strengths as a DAC. I have the Dave front end for music, and an RME AD-2 DAC to take the optical from the TV for sound to the entertainment system. The RME is really good, don't get me wrong - but when compared to the Dave, even on similarly recordings, Dave is just so much smoother, colorful and lifelike. Admittedly audiophile cliche's - but that doesn't mean it isn't true.
You have a great set up there, Pass amplification and Martin Logan pair really well. The Logan's are very special and the 13A in particular is in my opinion excellent and my favourite in the Masterpiece range

After having the ML Classic 9's for some time and been very happy with them, despite having to pair them with a couple of REL subs to compensate for my perceived slight lack of bass extension, I recently decided to upgrade to the Martin Logan 13A, however in the meantime I got to hear a pair of PMC Fact 12 transmission line floor standers, despite being relatively diminutive, I was blown away by them. This little speaker turned my attention to some of the larger PMC monitors.

I'm currently hoping to listen to the PMC MB2 SE, if there's the incremental improvement I expect over the PMC Fact 12, then I will have a very difficult decision, Martin Logan Expression 13A or the PMC MB2 Se. Of course I'm sure the wonderful Dave will sound great through either the Martin Logan or PMC speakers, I apologise for going off topic, but you know what it's like when you're contemplating a component upgrade.

T

I call it magic dac sauce.

What's your magic dac sauce?

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #22,339 of 25,868
You have a great set up there, Pass amplification and Martin Logan pair really well. The Logan's are very special and the 13A in particular is in my opinion excellent and my favourite in the Masterpiece range

After having the ML Classic 9's for some time and been very happy with them, despite having to pair them with a couple of REL subs to compensate for my perceived slight lack of bass extension, I recently decided to upgrade to the Martin Logan 13A, however in the meantime I got to hear a pair of PMC Fact 12 transmission line floor standers, despite being relatively diminutive, I was blown away by them. This little speaker turned my attention to some of the larger PMC monitors.

I'm currently hoping to listen to the PMC MB2 SE, if there's the incremental improvement I expect over the PMC Fact 12, then I will have a very difficult decision, Martin Logan Expression 13A or the PMC MB2 Se. Of course I'm sure the wonderful Dave will sound great through either the Martin Logan or PMC speakers, I apologise for going off topic, but you know what it's like when you're contemplating a component upgrade.

T

I never heard the PMCs - but it's all about what you like. I listened to a bunch of speakers in different setups before I got the Logan's, and it was love at first listen. Demo both and trust your ears - ideally one after the other (though that's obviously not required) and trust your ears :) Good luck!

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #22,340 of 25,868
Uh, when choices have to be made it's always "sweetly frustrating". In my case, in 6 months I decided and invested in the components I now use. The Blumenhofer FS2 MK2 were the most expensive and unknown components to me, I trusted my instincts and the fact that they are efficient (94db) and mid-high horns. Luckily I still enjoy them today ...... they were the speakers who thrilled me the most. Then, one day in May He arrived. Dave (called the chameleon) Even after months I happen to listen to pieces that leave me amazed and sometimes, maybe I'm stupid, but I get moved with tears in my eyes.

Sorry, here we are in HF .....

I want to thank you, it was very interesting to learn from all of you. And I'm just starting out .......

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #22,341 of 25,868
Certainly many of you will remember the first few hours after unboxing and plugging in Dave.

Attachments

• 4F1FA9A1-E11C-4575-B31A-382EF5FDACC1.jpg
    4F1FA9A1-E11C-4575-B31A-382EF5FDACC1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #22,343 of 25,868
... Even after months I happen to listen to pieces that leave me amazed and sometimes, maybe I'm stupid, but I get moved with tears in my eyes.

Sorry, here we are in HF .....

I want to thank you, it was very interesting to learn from all of you. And I'm just starting out .......
Don't be sorry and you are not stupid.

That emotional connection to music is what it is all about.

It is great that you have a system that releases that awesome potential in music.

Welcome to the club! 🤗

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #22,344 of 25,868
Certainly many of you will remember the first few hours after unboxing and plugging in Dave.

I havent got that experience.. bought Dave 2nd hand ..in return payed half the price🙂

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #22,345 of 25,868
I run my DAVE directly into Genelec 8331A/7360A so pretty much exactly what you mention. Using GLM and near field listening at about 1.5 m it is ridiculously good. If the D’s do exist it would be a great option.
Why do you do this? The Genelec’s analogue input is digitised so even a perfect input is still going to hit their ADC, always best to feed them digital and use the Genelec volume control.

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #22,346 of 25,868
"It is bested easily by DACs at $150."

I'm sorry...what?

I get that ASR is extremely objectivist to the point of nauseating but this claim towards DAVE of all things? Come on now, Amir...

There's a limit to how absurd one can shove their so-called objective opinion down a person's throat...

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #22,347 of 25,868
"It is bested easily by DACs at $150."

I'm sorry...what?

I get that ASR is extremely objectivist to the point of nauseating but this claim towards DAVE of all things? Come on now, Amir...

There's a limit to how absurd one can shove their so-called objective opinion down a person's throat...
It is interesting how this YouTube video just came out to address this issue:

I did find the video title quite misleading though.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #22,348 of 25,868
It is misleading and his arguments are disingenuous. Two points Darko misses are the growing emphasis on measurements and excellent low cost audiophile products emerging from China. I see it more as an issue of the new generation of buyers becoming less “tolerant” of high-cost products that don’t preform well.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #22,349 of 25,868
@Rin1990 It's pseudo science, give it no mind. Basically, set up a narrative, in this case, championing low THD/SINAD numbers using limited test conditions where the device is in a static state, and judge everything based on those results only.

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #22,350 of 25,868
@Rin1990 It's pseudo science, give it no mind. Basically, set up a narrative, in this case, championing low THD/SINAD numbers using limited test conditions where the device is in a static state, and judge everything based on those results only.

I mean I honestly don't have issue to those who test their stuff like that (they can do whatever they want, really) but what I do have an issue is they think that is the most accurate way to buy and get the so called best sound money can buy without grossly overspending.

I will say this though, I have heard the lovechild combo of D90SE / A90D for a while and honestly, while I love the uncolored and transparent monster of a sound it give, I cannot say it can beat DAVE objectively.

There are things I am not exactly a fan of for DAVE but I will never say that it can be beaten by a mere $150 DAC or worse, an apple dongle.

Seriously...whoever came up with that dongle statement needs to have psychiatric treatment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back