CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 12, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #22,053 of 25,834
@Farad3 Gang

Currently I hear great improvements adding the LPS to the Dave. I’m using the headphone out. Now I just bought an external amp, Ferrum Stack. So, wondering if I should go Dave in Pre AMP mode or DAC mode to get the most benefit from the LPS … any ideas?

@801evan I know. Source. Been working on that. I wanted to try out an external amp.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #22,054 of 25,834
@Farad3 Gang

Currently I hear great improvements adding the LPS to the Dave. I’m using the headphone out. Now I just bought an external amp, Ferrum Stack. So, wondering if I should go Dave in Pre AMP mode or DAC mode to get the most benefit from the LPS … any ideas?

@801evan I know. Source. Been working on that. I wanted to try out an external amp.
I think it is probably more a question of the quality of the two volume controls rather than power supplies.

The only difference between DAC mode and preamp mode on the DAVE is that in DAC mode the volume control is set to -3dB. The circuitry used is both cases is identical.

I think also that if you want to use the DAVE volume control you should set the Ferrum volume control to max, thereby effectively short-circuiting it.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #22,055 of 25,834
I think it is probably more a question of the quality of the two volume controls rather than power supplies.

The only difference between DAC mode and preamp mode on the DAVE is that in DAC mode the volume control is set to -3dB. The circuitry used is both cases is identical.

I think also that if you want to use the DAVE volume control you should set the Ferrum volume control to max, thereby effectively short-circuiting it.
Ok thanks for the tips.

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #22,056 of 25,834
I used xduoo x10t V1 optical out to m scaler and used my phone usb out via uapp with ifi idefender and 3 isilencer in series. I fed idefender with 4xAA batteries to replace usb power line of mobile phone. My usb cable is oyaide neo A class with 7 ferrite clips. Even cable for feedings 4xAA battery power to idefender have many ferrites. This may seem overkill but the results are unbelievable. this usb route even beat optical out of xduoo x10t. There is complete lack of grain and background is blacker than black. M scaler to tt2 is furutech custom coaxial digital bnc cable with 7 to 8 ferrites. Both tt2 and m scaler are fed by 12v 27ah lead acid batteries. Lead acid batteries don't have any circuit or regulator so you get the cleanest power. Tt2 is fed to benchmark ahb2, both tt2 and ahb2 in low gain . Speakers are wharfedale evo 4.2. no wonder the set up is one of the cleanest sounding one can have.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #22,057 of 25,834
Both tt2 and m scaler are fed by 12v 27ah lead acid batteries.
Exactly what i would do too.

How long playtime do you get on a full charge?

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #22,060 of 25,834
Around 15 to 20 hours
How does HMS & TT2 behave when you reach minimum voltage treshold, do they toggle on/off?

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #22,063 of 25,834
Connecting my Fiio M17 DAP to the DAVE via USB in to SRC-DX then Wave Storm to DAVE. Wow! I presume its because the M17 is Battery Operated and is also Upscaling to the DAVE via well shielded Wave Storm Cable. This is fantastic and I'm sure the Farad Super 3 Power Supply is making a huge difference as well. Well happy with my set up now. 🎧

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #22,064 of 25,834
So is RCA the more transparent option vs XLR out of the Dave? Going to connect to the Ferrum Oor. I think I saw that Rob mentions RCA but not sure why. @adrianm likes the RCA with Ferrum Oor fyi.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #22,065 of 25,834
So is RCA the more transparent option vs XLR out of the Dave? Going to connect to the Ferrum Oor. I think I saw that Rob mentions RCA but not sure why. @adrianm likes the RCA with Ferrum Oor fyi.
Yes RCA is more transparent than XLR on chord DACS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back