CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #21,841 of 25,834
SJ vs Farad Super 3 not really a fair/great contest though is it. I was relating to Single Farad Super 3 vs muliple Farad Super 3.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #21,842 of 25,834
😱😱 Wow! You must live out in the 'sticks' somewhere then... you need one of those giant Elon Musk Battery 'Walls' installed!!
Yes indeed. Out In the Sticks is exactly where we are on a small old farm in between villages in the Vale of Belvoir just north of Melton Mowbray. Being so close to the power company transformer does have issues in that our mains voltage is around 250V most of the day and often goes up to 253V. I got the regenerators initially to be able to control the mains voltage because my 845 triode amplifiers always ran a bit too ‘hot’ due to the voltage. I even had one redplate and go into runaway. Luckily I spotted what was happening and pulled the plug from the wall just in time.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #21,843 of 25,834
SJ vs Farad Super 3 not really a fair/great contest though is it. I was relating to Single Farad Super 3 vs muliple Farad Super 3.
Sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #21,844 of 25,834
Yes indeed. Out In the Sticks is exactly where we are on a small old farm in between villages in the Vale of Belvoir just north of Melton Mowbray. Being so close to the power company transformer does have issues in that our mains voltage is around 250V most of the day and often goes up to 253V. I got the regenerators initially to be able to control the mains voltage because my 845 triode amplifiers always ran a bit too ‘hot’ due to the voltage. I even had one redplate and go into runaway. Luckily I spotted what was happening and pulled the plug from the wall just in time.
If your voltage is 250, does that increase your power bill lol?

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #21,845 of 25,834
If your voltage is 250, does that increase your power bill lol?
The sly dogs! Yes it might. You need eyes in the back of your head these days!

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #21,847 of 25,834
Does remind me a bit about a post from maybe a decade ago, from a poster who lived near a hydro-electricity project, that provided plenty of eco-friendly electricity, but also provided mains electricity with inconvenient electrical frequencies/distortion. All of these type of issues are addressable, and Triode I think you are one of the better informed stakeholders, so hopefully you can influence the way forward.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #21,848 of 25,834
I have two noob questions: is there a consensus on the best reasonably priced power supply for DAVE? And does it always involve opening DAVE for installation?

If its to combat Net RF.. you can also power Dave with 140v DC off batteries.. you wont need to open it then.

I had another idea lately that i might try once.. what if one uses 4 commercial 40v solar panels in series with led arrays attached.. placed in the basement, shed or attic wired to a standard power socket near the audiogear.

No charging needed then.. and completely isolated from net RF

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #21,849 of 25,834
That's handy to know, my skill level is slightly beyond wiring a plug so there'll be no stopping me. But as I have a PS Audio Powerplant regenerator would it be overkill?
FWIW, using a P12 here and the benefits with DAVE power supply upgrade (Farad, in my case) are very positive.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #21,850 of 25,834
Don’t own a single Chord product. Had no plans to acquire until ASR started puttin’ out da vidz. Now methinks it’s time to order up a DAC … mail order with a brief detour thru the Seattle area. A lab tech called Amir wants to unbox therapy first. Uhnnnnn! Oh I need some extra TP for that messy squeeze. Uggghhhhhhhhnnnnn!

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #21,852 of 25,834
Don’t own a single Chord product. Had no plans to acquire until ASR started puttin’ out da vidz. Now methinks it’s time to order up a DAC … mail order with a brief detour thru the Seattle area. A lab tech called Amir wants to unbox therapy first. Uhnnnnn! Oh I need some extra TP for that messy squeeze. Uggghhhhhhhhnnnnn!
I know on ASR personal insults and name callings are business of the day!
But if it is wrong over there, does it mean Head-fi has to emulate?
So, please, do not stoop to the level of name-calling and ridicule.
Let's not get personal. Even (specially) when they do!

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #21,853 of 25,834
Uhnnnnn! Oh I need some extra TP for that messy squeeze. Uggghhhhhhhhnnnnn!
I've never read/heard this sound before "Uggghhhhhhhhnnnnn". Are you ok?

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #21,854 of 25,834
Wow so even with Farad the regenerator helps? I have a ZeroSurge unit between the wall and the LPS ...

FWIW, using a P12 here and the benefits with DAVE power supply upgrade (Farad, in my case) are very positive.

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #21,855 of 25,834
Wow so even with Farad the regenerator helps? I have a ZeroSurge unit between the wall and the LPS ...
Don’t forget that any persons comments regarding the effect of power conditioning or regenerators are entirely personal to them and their mains supply. I am lucky and have pretty low noise mains with no factory or offices nearby and only a handful of other houses on the power company transformer. The only effect I have noticed with a regenerator (P10) is a degrading of the sound quality. So whilst for some they may help, for others they can have a negative impact. Try before you buy is the best/only motto here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back