CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 9, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #20,146 of 25,850
at least one DAVE was returned to Chord for repairs
...if you note the damage was to a connector, that I would believe. Some of the cables are heavy and should be supported or otherwise managed.

That said, in my reading, you are implying there was "electronic" damage, to use that term. Can you reveal what damage was caused to this single Dave? Thanks for your tremendous help reducing potential damage to the beloved Dave!

May 9, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #20,147 of 25,850
Wondering how many Watts the SE headphone out for the Dave is vs TT2 in high gain mode? For the TT2 its 7.3 W RMS 8Ω. How about the Dave? Thanks.

*P.S. - feel free to PM if you have a good Chord Dealer as well. Appreciate it.

May 9, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #20,148 of 25,850
Wondering how many Watts the SE headphone out for the Dave is vs TT2 in high gain mode? For the TT2 its 7.3 W RMS 8Ω. How about the Dave? Thanks.

*P.S. - feel free to PM if you have a good Chord Dealer as well. Appreciate it.
Here you have.
Dave.png

May 9, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #20,149 of 25,850
As for damaging Dave with ferrited cables. Never heard of anything like that. I'm using Wave Storms for quite some time without any problems at all.

The only thing that I could think of it's their weight. And that can potentially damage connector if you are not careful enough.

May 9, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #20,150 of 25,850
Here you have.
I see. So at 8 ohms TT2 is providing 7.3 W vs Dave's 2.1 W? Wow, surprised how much less Watts the Dave provides. Less than 3.5x power than TT2?

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #20,151 of 25,850
...if you note the damage was to a connector, that I would believe. Some of the cables are heavy and should be supported or otherwise managed.

That said, in my reading, you are implying there was "electronic" damage, to use that term. Can you reveal what damage was caused to this single Dave? Thanks for your tremendous help reducing potential damage to the beloved Dave!
According to Chord, they also found the center pins of the DAVE BNC connectors have been damaged by the cables. In my instance, the defective cables caused the electrical issues I previously described and they were removed before potentially damaging my unit as well. The problems were most severe at 705.6kHz setting likely because the cables likely aren’t made to meet the 75Ω standard or had other gross errors in the assembly. The issue was present in both cables regardless of the configuration. We can be certain the cables were faulty because the issue was resolved by using different brand name cables that were properly constructed. You can certainly contact Chord for the same information I received from them.

Note: On May 11, 2022 Triode User made a clap-back edit to his post below trying to address the address the issue of center pin damage. I want to point out that I have always used the correct Pro-Signal BNC cables supplied by Chord with my DAVE. The issue with the cables in question persisted no matter which direction they were orientated or BNC inputs/outputs used. I also tested with a pair of Chord Company cables and there was no issue with them or the Pro-Signal cables. We can definitively conclude the cables in question were faulty. ###

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #20,152 of 25,850
He is claiming they are not constructed correctly…
Ah, ok. I misunderstood. Although I would still like to know what exactly was wrong there. There are only two options: either one of the conductors did not have contact (should not damage the DAC) or there was a short circuit between the signal conductor and the screen (I don’t know if the DAC has input protection or not).

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #20,153 of 25,850
Is the Choral Stand for looks and if one wants to get Etude etc?

Is the rumor that Chord will eventually release a Digital Amp so keep the transparency intact?

May 9, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #20,154 of 25,850
Ah, ok. I misunderstood. Although I would still like to know what exactly was wrong there. There are only two options: either one of the conductors did not have contact (should not damage the DAC) or there was a short circuit between the signal conductor and the screen (I don’t know if the DAC has input protection or not).
I'm not sure if even shorting cable with spdif signal is going to damage something as the voltage for spdif is low (0,2-0,6v and current about 8mA) - but I might be wrong on that.

May 9, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #20,155 of 25,850
Is the Choral Stand for looks and if one wants to get Etude etc?

Is the rumor that Chord will eventually release a Digital Amp so keep the transparency intact?
The Choral Enable Stands are entirely cosmetic and they are not advertised with any benefits for vibration/isolation. The odd angled design of the stands raises the rear inputs/outputs and can place even more force on the connectors if heavy cables are not supported.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #20,157 of 25,850
Nobody ever said that ferrites are intended to make "a better square wave". Ferrites were intended to supress interference generated by FPGAs. And Rob told a hundred times in this and other topics how RF interference affects the operation of the DAC.
RF interference affects the operation of "the" DAC. I think is important to note that the "the" should be "a" DAC or "any" DAC. RF interference affects most DACs, not only Chord DACs. The advantage of Chord DACs is that optical inputs can be used to eliminate RF noise as Chord DACs are inherently immune to jitter. RF noise can come from many sources, not just FPGAs

May 9, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #20,158 of 25,850
RF interference affects the operation of "the" DAC. I think is important to note that the "the" should be "a" DAC or "any" DAC. RF interference affects most DACs, not only Chord DACs. The advantage of Chord DACs is that optical inputs can be used to eliminate RF noise as Chord DACs are inherently immune to jitter. RF noise can come from many sources, not just FPGAs
I don't see how adding common mode inductance to a cable helps with cleaning RF inside any dac. RF on the cable shielding will be grounded at the input. Adding high level of inductance to a cable will make rounded corner square waves (like they are even square to begin with).

I think better built BNC cable is way more effective than putting bunch of ferrites on a mediocre cable.

May 9, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #20,160 of 25,850
The Choral Enable Stands are entirely cosmetic and they are not advertised with any benefits for vibration/isolation. The odd angled design of the stands raises the rear inputs/outputs and can place even more force on the connectors if heavy cables are not supported.
I disagree. I find it does [rovide vibration isolation. How could it not? It has good feet and pads for the dac which no hangs off the rack. My A/B showed benefits YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back