CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #18,467 of 25,901
it has to beat HQPlayer hands down, otherwise it will be hard to justify all this trouble, not to mention $$$
Could you share the HQplayer settings you're using? or does anyone else have the settings that are supposed to mimic the M-scaler?
Also, i assume Optical would be bandwidth limited in doing the full upsampling, so ideally USB or an SRC-DX would be required, right?
Edit: nvm found the settings, still curious about the connection

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #18,468 of 25,901
Let’s not forget Dave upscales internally it’s just not a 1million tap filter it’s only 64,000 taps 😉. So opto isolation, ferrited coax cables upgraded power supplies I think I’ll wait for a new Dave that uses a more powerful fpga (there would be room if the power supply was external) that has the computational power to execute a high tap filter onboard. With the upgraded power supply, optical tos connections (galvanically isolated) I’m happy (for now!) with the onboard 64,000 tap upscaler, KISS!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #18,469 of 25,901
Let’s not forget Dave upscales internally it’s just not a 1million tap filter it’s only 64,000 taps 😉. So opto isolation, ferrited coax cables upgraded power supplies I think I’ll wait for a new Dave that uses a more powerful fpga (there would be room if the power supply was external) that has the computational power to execute a high tap filter onboard. With the upgraded power supply, optical tos connections (galvanically isolated) I’m happy (for now!) with the onboard 64,000 tap upscaler, KISS!
Not sure what you mean exactly, I'm pretty sure that is bypassed when using the M-scaler. Rob has said before that an M-scaler in the same chassis is a bad idea, due to the noise it generates. So that's not coming in Dave 2, but a new M-scaler is. Keeping them separate seems to be the long term plan.

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #18,470 of 25,901
Not sure what you mean exactly, I'm pretty sure that is bypassed when using the M-scaler. Rob has said before that an M-scaler in the same chassis is a bad idea, due to the noise it generates. So that's not coming in Dave 2, but a new M-scaler is. Keeping them separate seems to be the long term plan.
What I mean is I’m happy with Daves 64,000 tap onboard upscaler I’m content without an mscaler and all the added accessories neaded to optimize the interface.
Rob is talking about adding a second fpga to Daves design (a bad idea) I’m talking about a state of the art fpga that on its own has the computational power for a higher tap filter (a good idea)

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #18,471 of 25,901
What I mean is I’m happy with Daves 64,000 tap onboard upscaler I’m content without an mscaler and all the added accessories neaded to optimize the interface.
Rob is talking about adding a second fpga to Daves design (a bad idea) I’m talking about a state of the art fpga that on its own has the computational power for a higher tap filter (a good idea)
I'm pretty sure Rob was talking about what you're talking about. It replace an Intel Atom processor with an Core I9 and you will get more computational power but also more noise ,power draw, heat, etc etc.
I'm content at the moment as well, but would love a one box solution, and i hate how they keep piling up.

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #18,472 of 25,901
I'm pretty sure Rob was talking about what you're talking about. It replace an Intel Atom processor with an Core I9 and you will get more computational power but also more noise ,power draw, heat, etc etc.
I'm content at the moment as well, but would love a one box solution, and i hate how they keep piling up.
Perhaps Rob would chime in?
Some times the faster processor running at a slower speed makes less noise.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #18,473 of 25,901
Dave has 164k taps not 64k

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #18,475 of 25,901
Could you share the HQplayer settings you're using? or does anyone else have the settings that are supposed to mimic the M-scaler?
Also, i assume Optical would be bandwidth limited in doing the full upsampling, so ideally USB or an SRC-DX would be required, right?
Edit: nvm found the settings, still curious about the connection
I use USB input on DAVE, optically isolated from the HQPayer through opticalRendu.
Ordered SRC-DX to see if dual BNC input sounds better as has been suggested.
Is it worth trying Toslink?
Any suggestion on a USB-Toslink converter, does its quality even matter?

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #18,476 of 25,901
I use USB input on DAVE, optically isolated from the HQPayer through opticalRendu.
Ordered SRC-DX to see if dual BNC input sounds better as has been suggested.
Is it worth trying Toslink?
Any suggestion on a USB-Toslink converter, does its quality even matter?
I’m currently playing with a Denifraps Gaia.
N10 usb out into Gaia tos optical out into Dave, interesting that with the N10 set to dsd to pcm conversion maximum rate that I could sent to Dave was 88KHz but out of the Gaia Dave accepts 176KHz

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #18,477 of 25,901
My experience is different.
I have a 77” TV hanging on the wall 2 feet behind the DAVE and for the life of me I cannot tell the difference between TV on and TV off.
I have no idea how does RFI sound, maybe it is a blessing.
Would readily accept that my hearing is not what it is used to be, but I can easily tell the difference between HQPlayer on and off into DAVE.
I can also hear if the power amp plugged into the wall or into Niagara 3000 (worse).

Back to my original dilemma, if indeed M Scaler and DAVE are only 50% as good out of the box, I would be willing to contemplate tweaks.
But is am in serious doubt it is the case.
I am totally cool with people creating an aftermarket industry for all sorts of gadgets they you must have.
You just need to take the promises with a grain of salt.
I also have a TV in the same room as my Mscaler.
But I never listen to music with the TV connected to the mains. I always disconnect my TV when not in use. which can be for weeks sometimes, too much real crap broadcast on Swedish Television imho.
And with the Mscaler connected I often get such bad, really very bad, TV reception , that when I want to watch TV I just have to disconnect my Mscaler.

My experience with ferrited BNC cables in combination with my Qutest/Mscaler is that both Wave ,Stream and Storm are a VERY clear SQ and noise floor improvement over the cheap stock BNCs.

But there might also be a slight case of my ferrited BNC cables "softening" the upper treble ever so slightly ,with some of my masterfiles where I know how both the live sound in the hall and micfeed and masterfile playback sounded with the equipment used to record the music played.

By the way, playback at actual classical music recording sessions that I have been to is NEVER via expensive aftermarket Streamers, but directly via standard PC or Mac and the ADC/DAC used to capture the data.

My most favourable impression in spite of the hazzle involved with PGGB with my still very few PGGB testtracks and via usb and 32 /705 upscaled files directly into my Qutest with one of my direct ref masterfiles was that, yes now the very low level pp percussions shimmer in Mahler´s 5th is both a bit more audible and a wee bit more accurately placed in space the mix and more realistic again both via headphones and especially via my big electrostatics speakers.
Weird little differences and things one can only hear if one has direct experience of the real thing.
You will not hear it with your favourite recording of Miles Davies´s Kind of Blue or other HI FI shop demo stuff unless you were there and still remember how it sounded live.

But in my system there could be other "synergethic" things at work that I do not grasp.

I can also bring back some of that percussion shimmer by changing from one RCA to another cable than my ref cable.But then at the loss of some fullness and warmth that was also a clear ingredient at the actuall cooking session.

But at least I have a quite good reference point to go by and that helps.
Then again, for me at the end of the day, it is all about enjoying MUSIC!

And until I get to hear Rob´s next "Mscaler X" I am very happy with my Mscaler. CERTAINLY NOT perfect but very convenient and it lets me enjoy digitally recorded music much more than before getting my Mscaler.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #18,478 of 25,901
@chelseafc Do you have any suggestion on getting it to work on a windows pc? i see there is a new version released a couple of days ago that "supports" Qobuz however i've been trying for hours now and it just bugs out and Qobuz disappears if i close the app. Not sure if i'm doing something wrong but the UI is terrible.

1639230565465.png

1639230595476.png

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #18,479 of 25,901
@chelseafc Do you have any suggestion on getting it to work on a windows pc? i see there is a new version released a couple of days ago that "supports" Qobuz however i've been trying for hours now and it just bugs out and Qobuz disappears if i close the app. Not sure if i'm doing something wrong but the UI is terrible.

1639230565465.png

1639230595476.png
What exactly does not work for you?
You are showing the client's window, have you setup your desktop application?

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #18,480 of 25,901
What exactly does not work for you?
You are showing the client's window, have you setup your desktop application?
I did, but the connection to qobuz option does not appear in the client anymore. It worked once, after i closed it, it won't pop up. So i can't actually play anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back