CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #16,471 of 25,850
Thanks for the info! I’m not too concerned with how big the setup is. I have a Woo Audio wa33 elite headphone amp with JPS wiring. I am very happy with the sound, but I’m always looking for improvements. I guess it’s that audiophile addiction kicking in...hahaha

I think an upgraded dac could further improve my setup. Have you tried the dCS Rossini with the master clock? How does it compare to the DAVE with the DC4?
Just tried the Vivaldi and it was better in some areas and not others, but the Vivaldi is above the Rossini, so....

I had a Woo Audio WA22 for a few years. A friend wanted it and I didn't need the preamp function anymore so I sold it to him. Then I went back and forth between the Cayin HA300 and the Woo WA5-LE.... In the end, I chose the Cayin for the magic it sprinkles on my Utopias in particular.... Took me two years to find the perfect tubes for the WA22. Just getting started with the HA300... rolled two sets of drivers and neither were right.... The journey moves on....

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #16,472 of 25,850
hello folks,
I am recently interested in getting a DAVE. I was wondering if anybody here has tried to use the XLR outputs at the backside of DAVE to drive headphones just like a lot of people have been doing with the TT2 ?

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #16,473 of 25,850
hello folks,
I am recently interested in getting a DAVE. I was wondering if anybody here has tried to use the XLR outputs at the backside of DAVE to drive headphones just like a lot of people have been doing with the TT2 ?
Not possible, XLR outputs have way to little current available, and also output impedance (not sure about that) of XLR is much higher than HP jack and rca outputs.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/post-12355143

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #16,474 of 25,850
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #16,475 of 25,850
But they could be used to feed a powered subwoofer (line level) even if at the same time the RCA is used to power high sensitivity speakers. Is that correct?
Yes I think so.
But keep in mind that xlrs have higher voltage output than rca so you have to counterbalance volume input on the subwoofers so the bass wouldn't be overwhelming.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #16,476 of 25,850
Yes I think so.
But keep in mind that xlrs have higher voltage output than rca so you have to counterbalance volume input on the subwoofers so the bass wouldn't be overwhelming.
Some subs (especially for mixing studios) have XLR inputs so I guess that's not going to be an issue, e.g. Yamaha HS8S or JBL LSR310S.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #16,477 of 25,850
Has anyone tried to listen to iems with the chord dave ? Were there any detectable hisses ? I currently have the hugo 2 and the amount of hiss I heard is staggering

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #16,480 of 25,850
Has anyone tried to listen to iems with the chord dave ? Were there any detectable hisses ? I currently have the hugo 2 and the amount of hiss I heard is staggering
Not with the Etymōtic ER4SR which I have since sold. I also briefly tested my 64 Audio A18s with my DAVE + Blu Mk II and had no issues.

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #16,481 of 25,850
Not with the Etymōtic ER4SR which I have since sold. I also briefly tested my 64 Audio A18s with my DAVE + Blu Mk II and had no issues.
Thank you ! The fact that the DAVE has no hiss for 18s which has 9 ohms impedance is impressive !

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #16,483 of 25,850
Hello everyone! I had Hugo2+2go for portable use and recently bought Dave to build stationary setup. For now I have my pc connected to Dave with audioquest diamond usb.I plan to buy mscaler in future and some aurender model to connect mscaler with usb and then dual bnc in Dave. But in meantime should I buy 2uy, pair it with 2go and connect it to Dave via bnc cable or just leave as it is? Thank you!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #16,484 of 25,850
Hello everyone! I had Hugo2+2go for portable use and recently bought Dave to build stationary setup. For now I have my pc connected to Dave with audioquest diamond usb.I plan to buy mscaler in future and some aurender model to connect mscaler with usb and then dual bnc in Dave. But in meantime should I buy 2uy, pair it with 2go and connect it to Dave via bnc cable or just leave as it is? Thank you!
Save the money for the Hugo M Scaler.

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #16,485 of 25,850
Back on the topic of my new Omega CAMs connected to the RCA out of the Dave, with volume @-15dB I'm getting peaks of 75dB SPL in my nearfield setup (4ft between speakers and listening position).
I never needed to increase volume above -10dB to get plenty of satisfaction.
At night time, wife and kids sleeping, a light breeze of jazz @-25dB volume makes for a perfect soul massage...
Truly fantastic experience with this combo and I'm about to experiment my first room treatment in a few days.
I hope this project will keep my wallet closed for a few months at least :zipper_mouth:

EDIT
Other comments regarding this experience, a bit OT sorry but had to share with someone: moving from headphones to speakers I rediscovered the emotion of feeling the soundstage depth and the "physicality" of feeling the bass in your chest. Sorry, I can't find other words to describe it, I hope it makes sense.

Great to hear your up and running direct to the Omegas.

Certainly wish at least one or two of the professional reviewers would make the effort to review Dave and TT2 used directly to power speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back