CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 9, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #16,501 of 25,909
personally I highly doubt that anyone sophisticated enough to be contemplating buying a DAC of the quality of the Dave would actually believe that the color of the Dave will influence its sound...kind of like suggesting a white car performs better than a black car
search through the chord related threads, and you will find posts from individuals who thought such posts were serious. Confusing one potential Chord enthusiast, is one too many.

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #16,502 of 25,909
I have a Dave and Mscaler with factory BNC cables.

Which upgrade should I do next?

Opto DX or Wave Storm BNC cables?

Opto DX:
https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/dx-optical-isolation-kit

Wave storm:
https://www.wavehighfidelity.com/storm-1/wave-storm-bnc-cable
Opto Dx imho. It can completely remove rfi. It also allows separation of digital and analogue components. See the Audiowise website and some of my other posts for details. Dave and the Blu2 are incredibly natural sounding in my system, with absolutely no digital signature at all.

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #16,503 of 25,909
Opto Dx imho. It can completely remove rfi. It also allows separation of digital and analogue components. See the Audiowise website and some of my other posts for details. Dave and the Blu2 are incredibly natural sounding in my system, with absolutely no digital signature at all.
The theory behind Opto Dx is interesting and plausible.
The most surprising element, is that so few owners post about trying Opto Dx.

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #16,504 of 25,909
Thanks for the reply, did you still have to spend a lot on BNC cables? Or does the Opto DX reduce the need for heavy/shielded cables?

Jan 9, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #16,505 of 25,909
The theory behind Opto Dx is interesting and plausible.
The most surprising element, is that so few owners post about trying Opto Dx.
Interesting, I hadn’t heard of this unit. I bought the Waveform BNC cables. They are expensive and somewhat unwieldy, but they do make a tangible improvement between my Blu Mk2 and Dave. I haven’t played with optical connections in the last 20 years or so, ever since they fell out of favor in the early days of digital. I think the initial receivers were limited to 96khz and while the isolation was a nice bonus, the cables themselves were somewhat flimsy and not very high quality. There was a review in Stereophile once where John Atkinson said moving the optical cable around caused dropouts. I assume the technology has been improved. The double BNC connection from the Blu to the Dave is at 768khz, so the optical cables you use might make a big difference as to how well this works. Then there’s the issue of introducing yet another conversion layer from BNC to optical and back. I can see how this might be useful over long distances, but for a meter or two distance, it seems like overkill. But then at this exalted level, perhaps everything feels like overkill.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #16,506 of 25,909
Thanks for the reply, did you still have to spend a lot on BNC cables? Or does the Opto DX reduce the need for heavy/shielded cables?
I originally had 2 x 1.2 m Oyaide DB510 cables with clip on ferrites between the Dave and Blu2. I removed the ferrites when I got the Opto-DX and used the DB510 cables on the Opto-DX receiver, with the supplied Audiowise BNC cables on the Opto-DX transmitter. I have since replaced them with 2 more 1.2 m Oyaide BB510 cables. This improved sound quality further. The supplied BNC cables must have poor screening. The DB510 are triple screened and good value, considering the quality.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #16,507 of 25,909
I have a Dave and Mscaler with factory BNC cables.

Which upgrade should I do next?

Opto DX or Wave Storm BNC cables?

Opto DX:
https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/dx-optical-isolation-kit

Wave storm:
https://www.wavehighfidelity.com/storm-1/wave-storm-bnc-cable
While I suspect these are both great options, I'm very happy with Opto-DX and agree with @audio_1 that it resolves the RFI issues: brightness gone, darker background and noticeable mid/upper bass improvements (esp. bassoons & cellos). Opto-DX enhaces the magic, analog-like M Scaler effect on Redbook audio—I'm so addicted to the wonderfully detailed attacks of harpsichords, well-mic'ed piano recordings, and snare drums. There's no going back.

I went for a 3m optical interconnect that allows me to physically separate the M Scaler and DAVE. I've played around with PowerAdd batteries, but ultimately went with a pair of Uptone LPS-1.2s to power the two boxes.

Cheers,
muski

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #16,508 of 25,909
I originally had 2 x 1.2 m Oyaide DB510 cables with clip on ferrites between the Dave and Blu2. I removed the ferrites when I got the Opto-DX and used the DB510 cables on the Opto-DX receiver, with the supplied Audiowise BNC cables on the Opto-DX transmitter. I have since replaced them with 2 more 1.2 m Oyaide BB510 cables. This improved sound quality further. The supplied BNC cables must have poor screening. The DB510 are triple screened and good value, considering the quality.
Nice. I am a big fan of Oyaide. Just wish I could get 30cm ones.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #16,509 of 25,909
And while on the topic of Opto-DX, I'm all in on things optical these days. On Black Friday I upgraded to the sonicTransporter i9 optical and opticalRendu package.Very compelling: the blackest of backgrounds and wonderful detail. A big step up from my Roon NUC + ultraRendu. (I'm certainly intrigued by the Innuos Statement, but this package was about 1/4 the cost).

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #16,510 of 25,909
is there any such thing as a battery powered optical roon endpoint for dave? if not any good affordable optical sources apart from the chromecast which i did not like the sound of.

Jan 10, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #16,511 of 25,909
is there any such thing as a battery powered optical roon endpoint for dave? if not any good affordable optical sources apart from the chromecast which i did not like the sound of.
You can try raspberry pi 4 with hifiberry digi+ pro.
Installing ropieee or vitos it can be used as a roon endpoint.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #16,512 of 25,909
how does mojo vs dave compare for you? also how is optical quality direct from an imac/mac if anyone can comment. thanks

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #16,513 of 25,909
Dave vs Mojo really there is nothing to compare. Two different units for different use cases. Alas if some disaster happened I would be happy using only mojo it's that good :)

While I don't have mac, my pc has optical output.
It was definitely step up in sound quality when comparing it's usb output into Dave.
But feeding Dave with optical from digi+ pro is another step up but not as significant as going from pc usb to optical pc.
In my case it was like that:
- usb from pc was really fatiguing
- usb from battery powered raspberry pi was much better not fatiguing
- optical from digi pro+ is the smoothest darkest, not fatiguing at all. Some people may call this compressed or lacking dynamics, but reading all the information that Rob is giving about noise floor modulation I'm sure in my case that's the way to go

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #16,514 of 25,909
I’m using a rpi3 with Justboom optical hat into my TT2. It could be powered by a battery bank but the stock supply is good. It can be wifi or ethernet and Ropieee is a good software especially for roon.

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #16,515 of 25,909
also how is optical quality direct from an imac/mac if anyone can comment. thanks
You’ve asked this many times before. Apple no longer includes an integrated 3.5mm headphone and optical output in the iMac. Older and vintage versions of the iMac used a low quality Cirrus Logic audio codec/controller for S/PDIF. Also bear and mind those iMac models only supported up to 192 kHz sample rate for audio playback via TOSLINK. There are many better options available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back