CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #16,441 of 25,870
I look at it like computer parts. Nvidia didn’t intend to have me remove the fans and put a waterblock on their gpus, but doing so makes the graphics card that much better.

I’m hoping the same things happens when I replace the DAVE’s power supply

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #16,442 of 25,870
Been lurking here a while and thought I would chime in on a couple of things if it helps anyone.... I know this is mainly a headphone site and many of you use your Dave in that way. I have a Mscaler>TT2>Cayin HA300 for headphones. I use my Dave for my main speaker setup. I think this is often underestimated. The Dave can be a real giant killer with the right speakers and equipment.

I own the Sean Jacobs DC4 and if any of you are on the fence about this product, all I can say is that it absolutely blew my mind. ( I have since ordered a second one for my Mscaler as well. Can't wait!) My journey towards the DC4 began with power cables. My system is pretty resolving, highlighting small changes. I experienced a very, very noticeable difference between a stock, so-so and shunyata alpha cable into my Dave. Then I upgraded to the Shunyata sigma and that was noticeable even to my wife. That got me thinking that this device is really sensitive to power and the DC4 might be worth a try.... Wow! is all I can say. All due respect to Robb Watts for all the joy he has brought my life. Deep bows, brother, but you need to listen to the DC4! It is mind-numbingly smooth and beautiful and opens the Dave up in every possible direction. The Dave now honestly competes with way, way more expensive DACs friends brought over. The Mscaler>Wavestorm cables>Dave w/ DC4 power is IMHO better in some areas than the dCS Vivaldi, though not as good as the MSB I borrowed (hehe).... Anyway, just one dude's opinion. If you can afford the upgrade, you won't be disappointed. Also, I am a dolt when it comes to electronics and even I could manage the job of converting it--pretty easy...

My main set up, in case you are wondering:

Innuos Statement>
Mscaler>
Dave>
AVM Ovation MA 8.3 monos>
KEF Reference 5

DC4 & PS Audio P10 power plant
All Shunyata sigma cabling (except for the Wavestorm)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #16,444 of 25,870
And while we are still on the topic of the DC4, the Synergistic Research Orange fuse is a worthwhile upgrade for the DC4 and well worth the price of admission
It never ends, doesn't it? :slight_smile:

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #16,446 of 25,870
Not necessarily. Designers also have to stay within a budget when designing their components. You can't build a Dave for $10k when the power supply alone will cost $4k.

I tend to disagree. When developer has proper knowledge about own designs he can address further possible improvements in manual or add some features to the original design to enable customers for such extensions. Take a look at Mytek Brooklyn range for example. Manufacturer clearly states that you can use different PSU for further improvements in product manual and adds additional plug for it.

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #16,447 of 25,870
Thanks for your informative post. Any thoughts on the 2-output DC4?
I was hoping I could power both DAVE and M Scaler.

Just to be clear, DAVE requires a power supply with 3 DC outputs (5v, 15v and -15v), which is why you need the 3-regulator-board DC4, which considerably adds to the cost.
The DC4 package for DAVE envelopes these 3 outputs into a single cable with multi-pinned plug for convenience.

The HMS only needs a single 15v output supply because it already has a DC input socket with a stock external SMPS that does the AC->DC conversion.

So a power supply to power both DAVE and HMS would need to have 4 regulator boards, which is pushing it at the best of times, and is anyway not recommended for DAVE+HMS as onlychild has mentioned.

Quite possibly, the DC power supply inside the HMS also splits the incoming 15v into different sub-voltages, but I suspect it would be harder, and with diminishing returns, to try to break into that, which only the maddest, craziest audiophile would ever contemplate doing :).

Just to remind everyone that the stock power supplies in DAVE and HMS do their job very well. The tweaks we are talking about would apply to just about any other high end component, but some components respond more successfully to certain upgrades.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #16,448 of 25,870
Just to be clear, DAVE requires a power supply with 3 DC outputs (5v, 19v and -19v), which is why you need the 3-regulator-board DC4, which considerably adds to the cost.
The DC4 package for DAVE envelopes these 3 outputs into a single cable with multi-pinned plug for convenience.

The HMS only needs a single 15v output supply because it already has a DC input socket with a stock external SMPS that does the AC->DC conversion.

So a power supply to power both DAVE and HMS would need to have 4 regulator boards, which is pushing it at the best of times, and is anyway not recommended for DAVE+HMS as onlychild has mentioned.

Quite possibly, the DC power supply inside the HMS also splits the incoming 15v into different sub-voltages, but I suspect it would be harder, and with diminishing returns, to try to break into that, which only the maddest, craziest audiophile would ever contemplate doing :).

Just to remind everyone that the stock power supplies in DAVE and HMS do their job very well. The tweaks we are talking about would apply to just about any other high end component, but some components respond more successfully to certain upgrades.
Is the voltage to Dave should be 5 15V -15 V? I remember Sean told me this is the voltage he used.

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #16,450 of 25,870
I understand the desire to leave the Dave alone, as I felt the same way, but hearing is believing. The DC4 is no small improvement that you need golden ears to hear, nor is it just some kind of distortion. It takes everything you love about the Dave and amplifies it.... I highly doubt Sean gets any negative feedback.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #16,451 of 25,870
I understand the desire to leave the Dave alone, as I felt the same way, but hearing is believing. The DC4 is no small improvement that you need golden ears to hear, nor is it just some kind of distortion. It takes everything you love about the Dave and amplifies it.... I highly doubt Sean gets any negative feedback.
There is some things that cant be measured right? Why does so many dacs or amps sound so much better with linear power supplies if Smps measure so good?

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #16,452 of 25,870
Yesterday was the first time watching movies with my lovely new Dave. Started Fargo Season two on Netflix again... The mscaler was ready to deliver 1 million taps (Nvidia Shield does offer the option to send audio up to one second in advance)...I was so amazed by the clarity, differences in timbre and depth that at some point I startet clapping like I was 5 years old and watching a lion jump through a hoop😂
Was thinking Dave is just a little bit more transparent than Hugo 2, what a fool I was🤯

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #16,453 of 25,870
Generally I refrain from mods that change the internal circuitry like power supply design. Gifted designers like Rob Watts know what they are doing. The probability that some third party design could improve the sound is a bit remote. It’s like the various mods offered on Sony SACD players or Oppo Blu Ray players. These companies have very gifted designers in their employ who have decades of experience at what they do. I’m not saying that an external power supply to the Dave doesn’t change the sound. It certainly might. But it’s not the sound that Chord intended in the original design. For example, if you took one of Chord’s switch mode power amplifiers and replaced the power supply. You have a different unit and not one that the designers intended you to hear. The switch mode is integral to the Chord sound. A linear power supply might have an entirely different sound. You might very well prefer the linear supply, but that’s not what Chord designed. At this point, the design is no longer a Chord, just like a modded Sony SACD player is no longer what the designers intended.

I understand the sentiment, but I'd have to strongly disagree with the premise. Of course the manufacturers and designers have tons of expertise and often put out great products, but they do so with a specific budget, level of effort and profit margin in mind for sustainability purposes. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But certainly, many, if not most products could stand to be improved.

I do relate however, as I don't like being bothered with mods either.. especially when they go against warranties of already expensive products. However, there's just too much overwhelming evidence and posts that suggest the power supply upgrade in question actually makes a solid difference.
-------

Aside from the above, two questions for the group. Is it absolutely necessary to open up the Dave to use the DC4 (sounds like it is)? Is it quite easy to order and get your hands on one? May not ever go down that path but it does sound interesting..

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #16,454 of 25,870
It never ends, doesn't it? :slight_smile:
The other question is if it makes sense to invest thousands in modifying digital tech that will soon be obsolete or replaced by a newer version?

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #16,455 of 25,870
The other question is if it makes sense to invest thousands in modifying digital tech that will soon be obsolete or replaced by a newer version?
That’s a fair point. :thinking:

But, the future is in the future. Now is now :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back