CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #16,307 of 25,896
Is any one using their Dave as a pre into a Nelson Pass F4 or Aleph J/J2?

I've been thinking about building one or the other of these Nelson Pass Amps for a couple of years. The Aleph J seems a safe option.

But very curious as how the Dave might get on with driving the F4.

Cheers

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #16,308 of 25,896
Don't worry it's on my roadmap. I've already listened to Dave with M Scaler at my friends place - oh yeas it was something.
btw. before Dave I had MTT2

Just to add a data point, I have also found the M Scaler as a significant improvement of my DAVE. I have read some other fellow users report back the HMS making DAVE sound leaner / brighter, but in my system and to my ears it has been totally the opposite, with a more relaxed (forcing hard myself not to use the 'analog' cliché), smoother, easy flowing sound.

Vocals and midrange in general have become more real and less brittle / mechanical (all in very relative terms of course, as the DAVE alone is far from being mechanical / brittle in isolation), and timbre / tonality is more fleshed out.

The magic of the HMS to me was how that kind of more naturalistic performance could be achieved toghether with a more detailed and insightful sound presentation, which is sometimes related to 'clinical' sounding gear.

Again YMMV, this is just my 2C.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #16,309 of 25,896
One of the things I love about the DAVE is how "un-digital" it sounds...not clinical without a hint of brightness...the M Scaler adds some of that back in, I prefer the DAVE without one.
Get an Opto-DX. The Dave is even more "un-digital" with the Blu II and Opto DX than on its own. I have no bad harsh recordings anymore. All recordings sound great.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #16,310 of 25,896
Just to add a data point, I have also found the M Scaler as a significant improvement of my DAVE. I have read some other fellow users report back the HMS making DAVE sound leaner / brighter, but in my system and to my ears it has been totally the opposite, with a more relaxed (forcing hard myself not to use the 'analog' cliché), smoother, easy flowing sound.

Vocals and midrange in general have become more real and less brittle / mechanical (all in very relative terms of course, as the DAVE alone is far from being mechanical / brittle in isolation), and timbre / tonality is more fleshed out.

The magic of the HMS to me was how that kind of more naturalistic performance could be achieved toghether with a more detailed and insightful sound presentation, which is sometimes related to 'clinical' sounding gear.

Again YMMV, this is just my 2C.
Exactly my experiences too with the M Scaler both with headphones and Speakers. I also have two full Chord Choral Speaker Systems the DAVE and M Scaler are used in with top quality interconnects (including the Wave Storm BNC digital interconnects) so the system synergy is 100% as well.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #16,311 of 25,896
Exactly my experiences too with the M Scaler both with headphones and Speakers. I also have two full Chord Choral Speaker Systems the DAVE and M Scaler are used in with top quality interconnects (including the Wave Storm BNC digital interconnects) so the system synergy is 100% as well.

Agree. Upscaling should make the Dave sound fuller and smoother as well as more detailed. I think any increased brightness and digital glare are artifacts of noise. The various noise mitigation strategies on this thread should give you the improvements without noticeable detractions.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #16,312 of 25,896
Agree. Upscaling should make the Dave sound fuller and smoother as well as more detailed. I think any increased brightness and digital glare are artifacts of noise. The various noise mitigation strategies on this thread should give you the improvements without noticeable detractions.

+1

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #16,313 of 25,896
Caught into the madness of the Black Friday obsessive compulsive purchases, I downloaded from HD Tracks a 192/24 version of Macy Gray's "Stripped", produced by Chesky within their Binaural+ project.
In case you want to put a nice background while enjoying todays message exchange, I'd recommend this one.
I'm reaaalllly enjoying it.

One of my fav’s, it was recorded in an old church in newyork if I recall.

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #16,314 of 25,896
FC627E2B-F99B-4F20-AF55-12E912305060.png
See here, euphony, the gentlemans audio server software.
see here how it allows configuration of song position update.
an open mind is your friend in this expanding body of knowledge and experimentation.
For those who hold bluster too close, only second rate audio reproduction awaits.

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #16,315 of 25,896
FC627E2B-F99B-4F20-AF55-12E912305060.png
See here, euphony, the gentlemans audio server software.
see here how it allows configuration of song position update.
an open mind is your friend in this expanding body of knowledge and experimentation.
For those who hold bluster too close, only second rate audio reproduction awaits.
The word “potentially” is carrying a lot of weight in that screenshot.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #16,317 of 25,896
The word “potentially” is carrying a lot of weight in that screenshot.
Yes indeed.
Similarly if an architect claims 'if we use this alloy, then potentially the bridge will not fall down', should people accept that claim as proof that the bridge design is safe?
:relaxed:
I shall have to be careful, otherwise I shall be called closed-minded.

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #16,319 of 25,896
You are closed minded, you’ve been. Demonstrating that. It’s what happens to men as they get old.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #16,320 of 25,896
You are closed minded, you’ve been. Demonstrating that. It’s what happens to men as they get old.
I might be closed minded, and I am certainly old. You might be gullible and credulous. But in fact I have demonstrated a very open mind to the possibilities you raise. I am am open-minded enough to believe that incredibly small and short bits of network traffic can impact the sound of your hifi. That’s why I asked you whether you can hear a degradation every second when the elapsed time on your control point is updated for example. If you can, how long does it last? The question is are you open-minded enough to consider the possibility that there is no degradation whatsoever?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back