CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #16,247 of 25,843
TT2/hms was quite forgiving of standard quality recordings. Dave isn't. Dave only really shines when the recording is of a high quality natural sound and uncompressed. As i continue to adjust to the sound of dave i find myself questioning some of my tidal/qobuz favourite albums in roon. It's turning into quite an adventure and not just a question of plug and play as i thought it would be with dave. With high quality recordings dave is doing great things i didn't hear with mTT2. I think that explains things in the clearest way possible. I wonder how much of the mixed feedback is in fact to do with the quality of recordings and not what adding the mscaler does or doesn't do. For me it is crystal clear the mscaler immediately improved H2 and TT2 and so it follows it must do the same with dave.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #16,248 of 25,843
Hi All,
For hard to drive headphones i.e. Susvara, Abyss 1266's etc., has anybody tried or own a high powered Headphone Amp that takes little to nothing away from the characteristics of the DAVE i.e. it's transparency etc. ?

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #16,249 of 25,843
Hi All,
For hard to drive headphones i.e. Susvara, Abyss 1266's etc., has anybody tried or own a high powered Headphone Amp that takes little to nothing away from the characteristics of the DAVE i.e. it's transparency etc. ?

Hello there, I can certainly say it is possible to add an amplifier that will not take away the characteristics of DAVE. I haven’t quite gone down the road of high power, as I don’t own particularly hard to drive headphones. But what I have done is gone down the road of a fairly high end tube amplifier and IMO it hasn’t taken anything away from DAVE.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #16,250 of 25,843
Hi All,

Hi, I had the same dilemma over the last couple of years, and spent (read: enjoyed) much time by trying companion amplifiers to the DAVE to drive the AB-1266 at its best with minimal loss of that magical transparency the DAVE direct drive delivers.

I had some success with the XI Audio Formula S + Powerman combo (see here), but still used to go back and forth between DAVE and the amp depending on genres, recordings, mood, etc., then ultimately moved to my current Riviera AIC-10 amplifier (see here).

In between, among the several amplifiers I tried, I found the most transparent ones were the Simaudio Moon 600i and the NAGRA Classic INT, both being 100W+ speaker amplifiers.

Among high power headphone amps, the most transparent I tried were the VIVA Egoista (yes, a tube amp), which I liked very much, and the Headamp GSX-Mk2, which I found a touch lean / bright for my tastes and in my chain.

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #16,251 of 25,843
Hello there, I can certainly say it is possible to add an amplifier that will not take away the characteristics of DAVE. I haven’t quite gone down the road of high power, as I don’t own particularly hard to drive headphones. But what I have done is gone down the road of a fairly high end tube amplifier and IMO it hasn’t taken anything away from DAVE.
Hi JTbbb, Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
Which "fairly high end tube amplifier" are you using ?

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #16,252 of 25,843
Hi, I had the same dilemma over the last couple of years, and spent (read: enjoyed) much time by trying companion amplifiers to the DAVE to drive the AB-1266 at its best with minimal loss of that magical transparency the DAVE direct drive delivers.

I had some success with the XI Audio Formula S + Powerman combo (see here), but still used to go back and forth between DAVE and the amp depending on genres, recordings, mood, etc., then ultimately moved to my current Riviera AIC-10 amplifier (see here).

In between, among the several amplifiers I tried, I found the most transparent ones were the Simaudio Moon 600i and the NAGRA Classic INT, both being 100W+ speaker amplifiers.

Among high power headphone amps, the most transparent I tried were the VIVA Egoista (yes, a tube amp), which I liked very much, and the Headamp GSX-Mk2, which I found a touch lean / bright for my tastes and in my chain.
Hi simorag for your comprehensive reply. Very much appreciated.

I have been looking at the following Headphone Amps to drive the Abyss 1266 and HiFiman Susvara ;
1) Trafomatic Audio Primavera
2) Woo Audio WA33
3) XI Audio Formula S + Powerman combo
4) Trafomatic Audio Head 2

I was also looking in detail at both the Viva Audio Egoista 845 and 2a3 Headphone Amps and was seriously considering a second hand 845 currently advertised on Head-Fi.org. However from watching one of the Abyss Youtube videos over weekend gone, they stated that they had heard horror stories about people's 1266's frying from a malfunction of the 845 as there is no safety mechanism for the 845 to stop any high power surges going ti the headphones and that the 845 is basically a speak amp turned into a Headphone Amp.

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #16,253 of 25,843
Hi JTbbb, Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
Which "fairly high end tube amplifier" are you using ?

I‘ve got the Feliks Euforia AE, whether it could drive the headphones you are considering I don’t know. But one thing that is open to you if you end up with a tube amplifier, is the ability to change the tone, and more, of your amp by tube rolling. But be warned! This is a very addictive rabbit hole to go down.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #16,254 of 25,843
I‘ve got the Feliks Euforia AE, whether it could drive the headphones you are considering I don’t know. But one thing that is open to you if you end up with a tube amplifier, is the ability to change the tone, and more, of your amp by tube rolling. But be warned! This is a very addictive rabbit hole to go down.
Thank you for your reply JTbbb. Much appreciated. I was looking at this Amp but not sure if it could run the Abyss 1266 or HiFiman Susvara to their full potential and if it would colour the transparency from DAVE.
Yes I have owned, the Wood Audio WA3, WA22 and Headamp BHSE in the distant past, so know a little about tube rolling dangers ! lol :darthsmile:

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #16,255 of 25,843
Hi simorag for your comprehensive reply. Very much appreciated.

I have been looking at the following Headphone Amps to drive the Abyss 1266 and HiFiman Susvara ;
1) Trafomatic Audio Primavera
2) Woo Audio WA33
3) XI Audio Formula S + Powerman combo
4) Trafomatic Audio Head 2

I was also looking in detail at both the Viva Audio Egoista 845 and 2a3 Headphone Amps and was seriously considering a second hand 845 currently advertised on Head-Fi.org. However from watching one of the Abyss Youtube videos over weekend gone, they stated that they had heard horror stories about people's 1266's frying from a malfunction of the 845 as there is no safety mechanism for the 845 to stop any high power surges going ti the headphones and that the 845 is basically a speak amp turned into a Headphone Amp.
I saw the same video. Another Italian headphone amp to consider in this tier is the Riviera AIC-10.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #16,256 of 25,843
I saw the same video. Another Italian headphone amp to consider in this tier is the Riviera AIC-10.
Thank you Mikey99 for your reply. Much appreciated. I will look into the Riviera AIC-10 too.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #16,258 of 25,843
Niimbus US4+, but I only checked with Susvara, this was really good synergy.
Thank you saudio7 for your reply and feedback. Much appreciated.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #16,259 of 25,843
TT2/hms was quite forgiving of standard quality recordings. Dave isn't. Dave only really shines when the recording is of a high quality natural sound and uncompressed. As i continue to adjust to the sound of dave i find myself questioning some of my tidal/qobuz favourite albums in roon. It's turning into quite an adventure and not just a question of plug and play as i thought it would be with dave. With high quality recordings dave is doing great things i didn't hear with mTT2. I think that explains things in the clearest way possible. I wonder how much of the mixed feedback is in fact to do with the quality of recordings and not what adding the mscaler does or doesn't do. For me it is crystal clear the mscaler immediately improved H2 and TT2 and so it follows it must do the same with dave.

Apologies if I am misquoting him but I seem to remember @Rob Watts saying that TT2/HMS is the more musical whilst DAVE is the more transparent of the two.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #16,260 of 25,843
Thank you for your reply JTbbb. Much appreciated. I was looking at this Amp but not sure if it could run the Abyss 1266 or HiFiman Susvara to their full potential and if it would colour the transparency from DAVE.
Yes I have owned, the Wood Audio WA3, WA22 and Headamp BHSE in the distant past, so know a little about tube rolling dangers ! lol :darthsmile:
I went from a Woo Audio WA22 to a WA5LE mainly for the upgrade in sound but also for the option if I do pick up the Susvara I'll have an amp. that can drive them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back