CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 17, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #14,746 of 25,883
I'm very happy with the JPS Labs "The Kaptovator Lite " , water like flow in the music compare to the default...

2020-06-17 16.41.17.jpg

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #14,747 of 25,883
Hi, I've been playing PCM with my Dave and it handles all the way up to 768KHz just fine.

Today, I switched to DSD Plus and tried to play a DSD512 file from Audirvana on a Mac-USB connection. No matter what I try it always seems to play it 358.2 KHz.

Since it is not displaying the output as DSD, I suppose it is converting to PCM? In Audirvana I have it set to DoP 1.0, also tried 1.1.

Does anyone know what is going on and how to get Dave to play DSD512 correctly?

Edit: I think I found the problem. Is OS X not capable of DSD512? I used Audirvana's upsampling feature to take a redbook file to DSD256 and Dave played that without a problem. Audirvana shows that Dave only supports DSD256. is that a limitation on Mac's side? How do we play DSD512 on the Dave?

I think OSX isn't capable of DSD512.

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #14,748 of 25,883
I think OSX isn't capable of DSD512.

That's what I'm finding out. Unbelievable. I read it had something to do with the way CoreAudio handles the headers that requires double the bandwidth so it tops out half of the max DSD rate of the DAC (so DSD256). I'm not sure if this right as I'm bypassing Coreaudio using Audirvana in Direct Mode Integer 1, but then again maybe it's always active at some level. It's frustrating to be throttled by the OS in using Dave to full potential.

On the power cord. I have the Synergistic Research Atmosphere X line coming in. I'm pretty excited, but at the same time guarding my expectations. Strong convictions swing so wildly on this that I'm really not quite sure what's going to happen. I thought the value of headphone cables and digital cables drew some heated opinions, but power cables is just insane.

It is understandable though. Due to their need for longer and heavier conductors the material cost for power cables is through the roof. When you see figures reaching into the thousands and thousands for the same stupid cord you have tons of tossed into a box somewhere, it does raise the eyebrows.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #14,749 of 25,883
That's what I'm finding out. Unbelievable. I read it had something to do with the way CoreAudio handles the headers that requires double the bandwidth so it tops out half of the max DSD rate of the DAC (so DSD256). I'm not sure if this right as I'm bypassing Coreaudio using Audirvana in Direct Mode Integer 1, but then again maybe it's always active at some level. It's frustrating to be throttled by the OS in using Dave to full potential.

On the power cord. I have the Synergistic Research Atmosphere X line coming in. I'm pretty excited, but at the same time guarding my expectations. Strong convictions swing so wildly on this that I'm really not quite sure what's going to happen. I thought the value of headphone cables and digital cables drew some heated opinions, but power cables is just insane.

It is understandable though. Due to their need for longer and heavier conductors the material cost for power cables is through the roof. When you see figures reaching into the thousands and thousands for the same stupid cord you have tons of tossed into a box somewhere, it does raise the eyebrows.

Keep an eye on how much you are considering spending on power cables in a system because a replacement power supply for the Dave might not be much more (or even less?) and it takes the Dave sound to sublime levels of subtlety and bass. :slight_smile:

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #14,750 of 25,883
Keep an eye on how much you are considering spending on power cables in a system because a replacement power supply for the Dave might not be much more (or even less?) and it takes the Dave sound to sublime levels of subtlety and bass. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I will. I've heard this before, but haven't explored it, because it involves modding the unit and voids the warranty right? However, at this point, I'm well beyond the veil.

Can you point me to where I can find more information about what this involves? Also, is there a power supply model that has gained wide acceptance?

Edit: I see Sean Jacobs is the one to look at. The DC4 is very spendy. The DC3, however, surprisingly affordable. Will it also work with the Dave?

I can see the replacement can be done by an end user. This is really intriguing.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #14,751 of 25,883
Thank you. I will. I've heard this before, but haven't explored it, because it involves modding the unit and voids the warranty right? However, at this point, I'm well beyond the veil.

Can you point me to where I can find more information about what this involves? Also, is there a power supply model that has gained wide acceptance?

Edit: I see Sean Jacobs is the one to look at. The DC4 is very spendy. The DC3, however, surprisingly affordable. Will it also work with the Dave? How much is involved in fitting it to the Dave? I'm quite comfortable soldering and working on PCBs and electronic gear.

I have the Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC4 but I previously had the DC3 and that is also good. The swop over takes about 10 minutes and there is no soldering. All it takes is an allen key to take the top off the Dave. It is fully reversible with no traces of it ever having being done after being reversed. I did quite a few experiments for Sean with different power supplies to both the digital and analogue boards within the Dave and both pay remarkable dividends from using the power supplies made by Sean. He does after all design the power supplies in the Innuos Statement so he knows a thing or two about power supplies for digital equipment. I was stunned when I heard the difference.

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #14,753 of 25,883
Hey guys, i've been considering a Dave lately to replace my TA-ZH1es with my Z1r's. I've auditioned it and loved it but initial impressions were Dave is immune to source /dirty power.From what i've read here, now the consensus has apparently become...not quite so immune and you also need 1.5k cables with the M-scaler and a bucket of ferrites in order for it to sound good :)).And a power supply replacement apparently,even though Rob said the psu " tested like a battery ".
So which is it?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #14,757 of 25,883
Yes,i know that's the audiophile party line.Tested most of this myself,found it marginal at best (except mains filtering) .But people here have been arguing with Rob about it for years apparently :)).And while it was entertaining to read,i was curious about a consensus.Since Rob claimed any audible differences are most likely added distortion.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #14,758 of 25,883
Hey guys, i've been considering a Dave lately to replace my TA-ZH1es with my Z1r's. I've auditioned it and loved it but initial impressions were Dave is immune to source /dirty power.From what i've read here, now the consensus has apparently become...not quite so immune and you also need 1.5k cables with the M-scaler and a bucket of ferrites in order for it to sound good :)).And a power supply replacement apparently,even though Rob said the psu " tested like a battery ".
So which is it?

Yes,i know that's the audiophile party line.Tested most of this myself,found it marginal at best (except mains filtering) .But people here have been arguing with Rob about it for years apparently :)).And while it was entertaining to read,i was curious about a consensus.Since Rob claimed any audible differences are most likely added distortion.

You know Headfi should just add a feature where whenever you type the word: endgame, it autocorrects to "endgame."

I just recently got a Dave to simplify. It's a compact top tier DAC+headphone amp all in one. I thought it was the end. I really did.

It was just the start... as usual. Now, boxes and cables are populating themselves around my Dave like bunnies.

Just a few quick clarifications. The Mscaler is obvious improvement right? Also, the heavily ferrited Wave BNC cables get no argument from Rob Watts as he uses them himself.

When he talks about adding distortion I'm convinced he must be right when talking about, e.g., external headphone amplifiers. However, I'm quickly coming to the opposite conclusion about the power supply, and I'm presently looking into the upgrade myself.

To be sure the Dave in stock form is wonderful. However, I'm so sorry to have to say this, but it's so wonderful it contains potential far beyond simple options for getting a signal in and out of it.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #14,759 of 25,883
You know Headfi should just add a feature where whenever you type the word: endgame, it autocorrects to "endgame."

I just recently got a Dave to simplify. It's a compact top tier DAC+headphone amp all in one. I thought it was the end. I really did.

It was just the start... as usual. Now, boxes and cables are populating themselves around my Dave like bunnies.

Just a few quick clarifications. The Mscaler is obvious improvement right? Also, the heavily ferrited Wave BNC cables get no argument from Rob Watts as he uses them himself.

When he talks about adding distortion I'm convinced he must be right when talking about, e.g., external headphone amplifiers. However, I'm quickly coming to the opposite conclusion about the power supply, and I'm presently looking into the upgrade myself.

To be sure the Dave in stock form is wonderful. However, I'm so sorry to have to say this, but it's so wonderful it contains potential far beyond simple options for getting a signal in and out of it.
Are you using any mains filters/regenerators? and what kind of system are you using it in?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #14,760 of 25,883
Are you using any mains filters/regenerators? and what kind of system are you using it in?

Nope. That's exactly at issue for me. Do I go mains conditioning + upgraded power cable or retrofit the power supply. I was set on the first route. However, I'm looking at the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Level 3, which I have inbound for a demo. Triode User broke in let me know that if I'm considering this amount of cost that I really should look into upgrading the power supply instead. Talking with him, Austinpop over at audiophile style, and Sean Jacobs himself is persuading me that the power supply will do the most good–by far.

I've also ordered an Opto-DX to go into the Dave which I'm going to use in conjunction with my IsoRegen. Everything is being power by battery or linear power supply. Going out of the Dave, I'm strictly headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back