CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 13, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #14,732 of 25,857
Synergistic Atmosphere UEF Level 3 in the 'Best 27' AB article is characterized as neutral, crystaline, resolving, holographic, solid, dynamic, effortless, glossy, alive, transparent and detailed. What headphones are you using?

Edit: They have a new one on AudiogoN for 1695 and you can tune it with those 'modules' in case you need to go a desired direction after the fact.

LCDi4. I saw the UEF Level 3 on Audiogon. But, I would like to send under 1K.

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #14,733 of 25,857
I went back and read Jay's reviews of the SR Atmosphere Level 3, and it does tick all the boxes I'm looking for actually.

One thing in all of this has me a bit confused thought. Power cables like the SR reviewed are high current cables, intended for use with amplifiers that draw a lot of power. I keep coming across these kind of power cables. Occasionally, there are cables specified for digital applications like the old SR Tesla Hologram D.

Do I need to be looking for a power cable specifically for digital devices? Can I use the ones intended for more power hungry applications? However, if I got something like the SR Atmosphere High Current, am I just paying for design I don't need for the modest power requirements of the DAVE?

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #14,734 of 25,857
LCDi4. I saw the UEF Level 3 on Audiogon. But, I would like to send under 1K.
They have a Shunyata Research Python Helix Alpha on AG for well under 1k.

Here is some info on the Shunyata Research Python Helix Alpha:

"There is transient agility, with the leading edge of each note materializing without blurring or undue snap, and tonal honesty, neither an obvious light nor dark character. The music simply is, resisting attempts to explain it. In contrast, the older non-Helix Anaconda sounded slightly less energetic, a touch veiled."

"The Python Helix offered a consistently clearer, more vivid view of the music -- one that's more about the music and less about the sound. Putting this another way, the Python Helix has less of a signature than the older Anaconda, sounding more transparent and simply better."

I have the above cable connected to my Lumin U1 and the Shunyata Research Alpha Digital connected to my Dave. The total price used for both cables used was $945.00. There was a total tonal change and any hint of glare was gone. The soundstage was deeper/wider and the low level detail floats in a sea of blackness.

Here is some info on the SR Alpha Digital:

"Shunyata has unleashed their biggest advance in power-cord technology with the Zitron Alpha Digital cables. They are specifically designed for digital components. Shunyata founder Caelin Gabriel designed the Alpha Digital to reduce the noise floor on all types of digital electronics, whether digital audio or video. It renders unmistakable improvement on digital players, DACs, Class-D amps, Blu-ray players, audio and video servers, and all other digital and video gear. The first and only power cable to act as a power-line conditioner on its own, the Alpha Digital Power Cord will simply leave you with your jaw on the floor. All these claims have been proven, and all doubters have been banished. Try one for yourself. This is a serious game changer... guaranteed!

The Alpha Digital power cord was developed directly by Caelin Gabriel to target and measurably reduce the extreme high-frequency noise generated by all types of digital electronics, whether in audio or video applications. The noise reducing property of the Alpha Digital is so significant that this can be objectively measured using a Power Analyzer. More importantly, even a brief evaluation will yield an unmistakable, dramatic improvement in sound or image quality.

In the old days, power cords designed specifically for digital used ferrous metals or heavy shielding that did more to "tune" the sound than improve it. These outdated treatments had obvious colorations such as dynamic compression and a dulling, or darkening of sound. The Alpha Digital power cord delivers a dramatic reduction in measured noise without any side-effect, leading to clearer visual images and better sound in every conceivable digital application, including new Class-D amplifiers.

Technology
The functional core of the Alpha Digital is Gabriel's re-working of the circuit, which has already demonstrated measurable improvement in square-wave response tests. This manipulation within the Alpha Digital lead to an immediate reduction in high-frequency noise, making this the first and only power cord that is essentially an independent power conditioner, without the associated box, added cost and connections. Of course, all of Shunyata's other treatments remain in play, from the CDA 101 Alpha-Cryogenic copper to Shunyata's own CopperConn connectors."

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #14,735 of 25,857
The reviews of the Shunyata Sigma NR say there is not a lot of extension or energy on both ends of the spectrum, it doesn’t quite shine or pop and it's grey, cloudy, dull, soft, thick, smooth.

Not in my setup as I described through the Denali power distributor. The negative characteristics you mention above would suit the old model Sigma (non NR) cable by itself not in use with Shunyata distributors. Of course I am in a 240v 50hz power area, maybe 120v 60Hz power produces those negative flavours but certainly the NR on my Dave through the Denali is exceptionally good, transparent, fast and dynamic on both ends of the audible spectrum.

I can only call it as it performs in my system. I wouldn't give it up as the DAVE really shines on this combination in my system.

Regards
GG

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #14,736 of 25,857
Thank you for the information on Shunyata. Learning about all these cables has been fascinating. By way of orientation, I've decided on Synergistic Research as for a "house sound."

Now it's a matter of closing in on which model and how much I want to spend. I'm looking into the used market and I think I can find one under a 1K that will work out nicely.

I've found out that that I can generally use cables designed for high current amplification on a DAC just fine. It seems that I would only have an issue if I was trying to use a cable designed specifically for digital sources (not many) for a demanding amplifier.

If anyone has leads on a good used Syn Res. cable under a 1K, please let me know.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #14,737 of 25,857
Not in my setup as I described through the Denali power distributor. The negative characteristics you mention above would suit the old model Sigma (non NR) cable by itself not in use with Shunyata distributors. Of course I am in a 240v 50hz power area, maybe 120v 60Hz power produces those negative flavours but certainly the NR on my Dave through the Denali is exceptionally good, transparent, fast and dynamic on both ends of the audible spectrum.

I can only call it as it performs in my system. I wouldn't give it up as the DAVE really shines on this combination in my system.

Regards
GG
I quoted this article and it was the NR.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/22/

If it works for you then great!

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #14,738 of 25,857
Just a follow-up on my earlier postings about the Purifi power amplifier which I'll obtain shortly. I'm aware that DAVE is optimized for SE but I wonder if it would be beneficial to use XLR OUT/IN with bypass on the amplifier (Bypass: in this case the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB).

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #14,739 of 25,857
Just a follow-up on my earlier postings about the Purifi power amplifier which I'll obtain shortly. I'm aware that DAVE is optimized for SE but I wonder if it would be beneficial to use XLR OUT/IN with bypass on the amplifier (Bypass: in this case the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB).
I use XLR to my amplifier for a number of reasons.
1) I didn’t know DAVE performs better with RCA when I bought the Nordost XLR cables
2) I also connect DAVE to my subwoofer using RCA and the sub volume is already set very low to integrate with the amp. Switching RCA and XLR would probably force me to crank the sub volume even lower and make it harder to integrate.
3) The XLR is still very transparent so the sonic difference is not as great as you’d think
4) I think my Chord Etude is still supposed to perform better with XLR than RCA (as are many amps)
So my take is that if you truly have a choice, you can just compare XLR and RCA but if there are reasons why you’d prefer to use XLR with DAVE, I would just go with XLR.

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #14,740 of 25,857
I use XLR to my amplifier for a number of reasons.
1) I didn’t know DAVE performs better with RCA when I bought the Nordost XLR cables
2) I also connect DAVE to my subwoofer using RCA and the sub volume is already set very low to integrate with the amp. Switching RCA and XLR would probably force me to crank the sub volume even lower and make it harder to integrate.
3) The XLR is still very transparent so the sonic difference is not as great as you’d think
4) I think my Chord Etude is still supposed to perform better with XLR than RCA (as are many amps)
So my take is that if you truly have a choice, you can just compare XLR and RCA but if there are reasons why you’d prefer to use XLR with DAVE, I would just go with XLR.

Thank you very much again for your input, Ecwl. I was thinking about this as maybe (probably) the OPA in the Purifi amplifier will be inferior to the one (XLR) in DAVE.
Neutrik sells some XLR/RCA adapters (can give these a try).

Below some more Purifi amp specs:
1592223130605.png

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #14,741 of 25,857
Probably a very stupid question but can you connect an RCA-RCA terminated interconnect using SE outputs on DAVE and on the amp end use a XLR adapter to go to balanced input?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #14,744 of 25,857
Thank you for your input guys (so I assume that only a specifically wired RCA->XLR will work and adding 1 neutrik xlr adapter to an RCA-RCA cable is not the same thing).

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #14,745 of 25,857
Hi, I've been playing PCM with my Dave and it handles all the way up to 768KHz just fine.

Today, I switched to DSD Plus and tried to play a DSD512 file from Audirvana on a Mac-USB connection. No matter what I try it always seems to play it 358.2 KHz.

Since it is not displaying the output as DSD, I suppose it is converting to PCM? In Audirvana I have it set to DoP 1.0, also tried 1.1.

Does anyone know what is going on and how to get Dave to play DSD512 correctly?

Edit: I think I found the problem. Is OS X not capable of DSD512? I used Audirvana's upsampling feature to take a redbook file to DSD256 and Dave played that without a problem. Audirvana shows that Dave only supports DSD256. is that a limitation on Mac's side? How do we play DSD512 on the Dave?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back