CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 22, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #11,296 of 25,883
M Scalers? In your mobile rig? There is hope!!

Yeah but look at his definition of his mobile rig "my whole mobile rig - chargers, M scalers, Dave, and lap-top PSU's.".
He missed only the kitchen sink from that list of kit. :grinning:

May 22, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #11,297 of 25,883
Maybe some power cords are grounded some not? It's only anodized surfaces that tingle, such as Dave's chassis. Fully conductive surfaces are fine. I only get the issue in some hotels in Japan or USA, when earthing is not available. And it's the leakage current from my whole mobile rig - chargers, M scalers, Dave, and lap-top PSU's.
I have checked the earthing with a tester and it’s ok, so the problem can’t be coming from unavailable earthing.
Considering your pay grade I think I’m better off consulting a simple electrician, I don’t want to receive a 6 figures bill for these advices! Lol :grin:

May 22, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #11,298 of 25,883
Yeah but look at his definition of his mobile rig "my whole mobile rig - chargers, M scalers, Dave, and lap-top PSU's.".
He missed only the kitchen sink from that list of kit. :grinning:

Not only did he miss the kitchen sink, but he also missed the Blu2. Game over I’d say, M Scalers exist. Just a matter of time before they are street ready. Let’s hope for restrained casework.

May 22, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #11,299 of 25,883
Nice. Which actives?

I assume you use the digital volume control of your playback software?

They are AVI speakers. AVI have been doing actives since 2007 but the DM10s I have were introduced a couple of years back. It comes with analog inputs + an inbuilt preamp with remote controlled volume. Anyone visiting Edinburgh welcome to audition.

May 22, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #11,301 of 25,883
Zenith Statement vs Zenith SE — night and day:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/munich-high-end-2018-part-one/?utm_campaign=65e9d7b6b3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_09_19&utm_medium=email&page=2&utm_source=Default+Hi-Fi++List&utm_term=0_ff6dfd0295-65e9d7b6b3-162412873

Time to ditch your old server and get a new one, to be replaced in 1 to 2 years. There could be a lively second hand market.

It will be interesting to see how far the upgrade path for the SE will take it towards the Statement and at what cost. I think any of us who invest in digital equipment know the name of the game and how fast stuff gets superseded. At least Innuos are giving full upgrade paths for much of its other kit which I think is very laudable.

May 23, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #11,303 of 25,883
For me, it will be interesting to hear whether the USB upgrade option for the SE can surpass what the SOtM tX-USBultra powered by a Paul Hynes SR4 is currently doing for my SE.

@STR-1: By the way, many thanks for your earlier positive comments on Paul Hynes' SR4, which I also use now to power my tX-USBultra. Great PSU for a great USB reclocker! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #11,305 of 25,883
No fatigue here, can listen all day to my sCLK EX/master clocked server feeding DAVE via USB. I am very sensitive to any digital noise. Have spades of detail within a wide stage. Can't wait to hear what a M-Scaler brings to the table, which will be my next big upgrade. You can save money by building your own optimized server.

How would a master clock work with the DAC?
Like say I buy this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-000M-Ul...Clock-Generator-HIFI-/281937108477?rmvSB=true

So I would just connect a BNC cable from it to the Dave & power it on? Or would I connect it to a DDC rather than the Dave if that's my source?
Would it be that simple as plug & play or would some other configuring be involved?

And this would give an (subjective) improvement in sound quality?

May 25, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #11,306 of 25,883
Like say I buy this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-000M-Ul...Clock-Generator-HIFI-/281937108477?rmvSB=true

So I would just connect a BNC cable from it to the Dave & power it on? Or would I connect it to a DDC rather than the Dave if that's my source?
Would it be that simple as plug & play or would some other configuring be involved?

If you bought that you would completely waste your money. There is no clock input on the DAVE. Rob Watts knows a thing or two about designing no compromise DACs and I think you need to trust him to have used the best clock possible. If you dig through his posts on here you will find his comments on clocks - those which might seem better to someone who hasn't actually got a clue aren't necessarily better. If your DDC has a clock input it is imaginable that an external clock might improve it under some circumstances, though again I believe Rob has gone to great trouble to make the DAVE insensitive to preposterous amounts of jitter.

May 25, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #11,307 of 25,883
Like say I buy this

Don't confuse a master clock with system clocking with internal DAC clocking. In short, no, there is no master clock input on DAVE, nor is one necessary. The clocking we are upgrading resides in the system outside DAVE. In theory and from our listening, clocks have an accumulative effect on a data stream and can effect the output of a DAC regardless of reclocking further down the stream or even within DAVE. In other words, every clock effecting the stream needs to be accounted for and perfected. Do no harm. Same can be said of power.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #11,308 of 25,883
Don't confuse a master clock with system clocking with internal DAC clocking. In short, no, there is no master clock input on DAVE, nor is one necessary. The clocking we are upgrading resides in the system outside DAVE. In theory and from our listening, clocks have an accumulative effect on a data stream and can effect the output of a DAC regardless of reclocking further down the stream or even within DAVE. In other words, every clock effectiving the stream need to be accounted for and perfected. Do no harm. Same can be said of power.
Do you have any experience with using externally clocked sources with Dave?

May 25, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #11,310 of 25,883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back