CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 19, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #11,266 of 25,832
You know that current clamp you're using is basically a large ferrite? It converts magnetic field into current, which can be measured. The ferrites you add suppresses the magnetic field, or rather creates opposite fields in a/c circuits that effectively neutralizes it (noise). You can't stack ferrites on top of others to measure what is happening within the first ferrites without extreme electromagnetic induction compensation calculations... Basically rocket science which the clamp isn't designed for.

Leakage current stock pwr cord into mains .54 mA
Leakage current after ps audio power plant and Pangea pwr cord .16 mA
Leakage current Pangea pwr cord and topnisus ferrites .05 mA
For whatever it’s worth!

May 19, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #11,267 of 25,832
Well said, I'm just catching up so my posts are outdated... Correct, the ferrites will make it impossible for the current clamp to measure true leakage current. The other two measurements are good information though, and your idea to measure a part of the cable without ferrites is good. This clamp will measure overall current, being that it covers all of the wires, line, neutral and ground. Having a current registered means the line current is not equal to return or neutral and ground. This is what leakage current is. The current going in is finding another path to return that is not on the same power cable or circuit. It is going through another component in the system that means a big source of noise. In a perfect world, every component would have the same return current as supply current on the same supply cable, PS, and not force current through another component (leakage current) to find a return path.

I work in the avionics industry and leakage current can be a critical requirement from some customers and regulations. 30 micro Amps of leakage current when we're talking about supplying hundreds of amps in 3 phase is sometimes a task to keep under. It really highlights power and return problems.

Fascinating! I don't understand what's going on here.

My concern is that the meter may be sensing AC, and in doing so might be looking for a current at a particular frequency. And the ferrites are filtering at that frequency and so the reading may be a "lie".

Also, I'm wondering if by placing the meter around the ferrite that the ferrite is affecting the reading. Is there a bit of bare cable after the final ferrite and before the plug to use instead?

Now playing: The Staves, yMusic - Hopeless

May 19, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #11,268 of 25,832
You know that current clamp you're using is basically a large ferrite? It converts magnetic field into current, which can be measured. The ferrites you add suppresses the magnetic field, or rather creates opposite fields in a/c circuits that effectively neutralizes it (noise). You can't stack ferrites on top of others to measure what is happening within the first ferrites without extreme electromagnetic induction compensation calculations... Basically rocket science which the clamp isn't designed for.
But it is verifying that little to no interference goes beyond the ferrite making it a more effective shield (atleast at the low frequencies it tests but one can extrapolate improved higher frequency effectiveness)? So I'm going to place a ferrite on any cable or power cord where they cross each other and on Daves power cord where I hear a difference. I did test the same cord over the ferrite and over the bare cord. Over the bare cord that had been ferrited same readings as a non ferrited cord.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #11,269 of 25,832
But it is verifying that little to no interference goes beyond the ferrite making it a more effective shield (atleast at the low frequencies it tests but one can extrapolate improved higher frequency effectiveness)? So I'm going to place a ferrite on any cable or power cord where they cross each other and on Daves power cord where I hear a difference. I did test the same cord over the ferrite and over the bare cord. Over the bare cord that had been ferrited same readings as a non ferrited cord.

I don't doubt it's filtering the noise from the shield of the cable. But the measurement can't be accurate unless you can measure a bare spot away from the ferrites. Would be interesting to see that measurement.

May 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #11,270 of 25,832
But it is verifying that little to no interference goes beyond the ferrite making it a more effective shield (atleast at the low frequencies it tests but one can extrapolate improved higher frequency effectiveness)? So I'm going to place a ferrite on any cable or power cord where they cross each other and on Daves power cord where I hear a difference.
I don't doubt it's filtering the noise from the shield of the cable. But the measurement can't be accurate unless you can measure a bare spot away from the ferrites. Would be interesting to see that measurement.
yes that is what I measured and was the same reading as a bare cord

May 20, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #11,271 of 25,832
Latest developments in my quest to enjoy the Dave at its best:
- I moved the Roon Server (Mac mini with UpTone mod) out of the hifi cabinet and plugged it in in a different place of the living room, leaving the Dave as the only piece of rig if I exclude the laptop.
- After experimenting with ferrite cores on the stock power cord I decided to use my Ice Age Audio Silver-Silver cord.
- Battery operated MacBook Pro connected to Dave via a rock solid Sys.Concept Toslink cable

Finally, I switched off the air conditioning and the damn' dimmable living room light and switched to a battery operated $25 lamp (the best $25 invested in the last decade).

I've never been immersed in the music as in this very moment!

Ah, did I mention I also bought a pair of Utopia...? :L3000:

IMG_0147.JPG

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #11,272 of 25,832
- I moved the Roon Server (Mac mini with UpTone mod) out of the hifi cabinet and plugged it in in a different place of the living room, leaving the Dave as the only piece of rig if I exclude the laptop.
- After experimenting with ferrite cores on the stock power cord I decided to use my Ice Age Audio Silver-Silver cord.
- Battery operated MacBook Pro connected to Dave via a rock solid Sys.Concept Toslink cable

Finally, I switched off the air conditioning and the damn' dimmable living room light and switched to a battery operated $25 lamp (the best $25 invested in the last decade).

I approve of this post.

May 21, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #11,273 of 25,832
Interesting/different take on active speakers by Andrew Jones.

Feed these via Rob's DAC's analogue outputs and the analogue signal stays analogue.

I've loved all of the Andrew Jones speakers I've ever heard - could be a nice pairing with Rob's DAC's, until Rob of course makes his fully active speakers.

Nice! As Rob says, no ground/ leakage current loops, no RF worries!

So not a single ferrite needed.

And by using a USB audio source, you have the nice expensive clock that sits right next to the FPGA controlling the timing.

No surprise it’s sounding better than ever for you.

May 21, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #11,275 of 25,832
And by using a USB audio source, you have the nice expensive clock that sits right next to the FPGA controlling the timing.
Actually, the source is optical. But I guess that the ruling clock is the same.

May 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #11,277 of 25,832
Ah yes, I missed the optical part the first time.

And since making the other changes, you re-tried USB from the Macbook (running on battery) direct to Dave, and still prefer TOSlink?

Just out of interest.
I haven't tried, no.
I was just enjoying the music...
Besides, the optical connection works perfectly up to 192kHz PCM and DSD64. That's more than enough for me.

May 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #11,278 of 25,832
Hi! I said before that i prefered usb on battery.but after again optimized the laptop. And power lps to one mains and dave to another. And some acustic feet under laptop and dave? I prefered iso.lps? Maybe i should just buy a streamer? But it sounds good now. But i wonder if the laptop makes some noise still.i am a little puzzled by Rob yes......?

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #11,279 of 25,832
On a different note while rolling a few power cables on the Dave I noticed a strange effect.
With some of them when touching the metal chassis of the DAC I could feel like micro currents flowing through my hands.
It happened to me in the past when I was using a dimmable bedside table lamp.
I don't have this with the Ice Age Silver I am using but I have it with the Ice Age Copper and the stock cable.
Any ideas what it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back