CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #10,306 of 25,842
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #10,307 of 25,842
It has certainly been discussed already but may I ask a summary of which is considered the best input for the Dave. (If it makes any difference)?
I am late to the party and would need to read hundred of posts to get a fair idea...
Optical.

Now search the thread for "optical" to find out why. Hint: get the search results sorted with newest first and put Rob Watts as the poster.

These are the two posts you want to pay attention to:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-648#post-13969760

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-649#post-13970809

Rob hasn't said if he learnt anything on this subject from the visit he mentions.

Now playing: Gabrielle Aplin - Alive

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #10,309 of 25,842
I know I am beating a dead horse on this one but if DAVE is galvanically isolated and the USB issues in terms of better or worse SQ stem from RF noise either from the USB signal coming in via the USB cable or from the AC power cord, is there a way to measure this RF interference with some external device?

As Rob points out when asked: So what are the best USB cables?

“Firstly, be careful. A lot of audiophile USB cables actually increase RF noise and make it sound brighter, and superficially impressive - but this is just distortion brightening things up. Go for USB cables that have ferrites in the cable is a good idea.”

So for those who claim that putting 20 + clamp on ferrite cores on the USB cable can reduce RF to the extent that a cheap USB cable can sound as good as a $700 cable, why not just measure this RF and reduce with adding the ferrites if there is a way to measure this beyond simply listening subjectively?

Rob was also asked if better AC cables make a difference?

“In the 1980's, people started talking about mains cables making a difference to the sound quality - and I didn't believe it either - particularly as my pre-amp had 300 dB of PSU rejection in the power supply. But I did a listening test, and yes I could hear a difference. Frankly I still could not believe the evidence of my own ears, so did a blind listening test with my girl friend. She reported exactly the same observation - mains cables did make a difference to SQ.

To cut a long story short, I proved the problem was down to RF noise. RF noise inter-modulates with the wanted audio signal within the analogue electronics, and if the RF noise is random, then the distortion is random too and you get a increase in noise floor with signal. This increase in noise floor is noise floor modulation, and the brain is very sensitive to it...”

So once again why not just add enough ferrite cores on the power cable to get rid of all measurable RF noise?? How can this be measured objectively??

Finally when asked if
DAVE benefits from mechanical isolation (Stillpoints, etc)? The answer was “Yes all products do”

So what relatively inexpensive options are there for DAVE for mechanical isolation? I assume this isn’t required for just headphone use but when DAVE output is to efficient speakers like Alnicos or an amp?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #10,310 of 25,842
So for those who claim that putting 20 + clamp on ferrite cores on the USB cable can reduce RF to the extent that a cheap USB cable can sound as good as a $700 cable, why not just measure this RF and reduce with adding the ferrites if there is a way to measure this beyond simply listening subjectively?
I think you probably need some expensive lab equipment to measure this.

It's easier to just put the ferrites on the cable. If you dislike the effect or there is no effect, then you've wasted less than £20...

So once again why not just add enough ferrite cores on the power cable to get rid of all measurable RF noise?? How can this be measured objectively??
I have 40 ferrites on my mains cable. I suppose they cost about £30. I got bored trying to detect a benefit a few months ago as I couldn't find a difference. Maybe I'll have another go. I don't have a way to measure this, except by listening.

Now playing: Hal Hartley - Amateur soundtrack

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #10,311 of 25,842
I think you probably need some expensive lab equipment to measure this.

It's easier to just put the ferrites on the cable. If you dislike the effect or there is no effect, then you've wasted less than £20...

I have 40 ferrites on my mains cable. I suppose they cost about £30. I got bored trying to detect a benefit a few months ago as I couldn't find a difference. Maybe I'll have another go. I don't have a way to measure this, except by listening.

Now playing: Hal Hartley - Amateur soundtrack
I've been hearing a lot about these ferrites, especially on Chord DAC threads. What do these "ferrites" look like. I haven't found a definite example of them on Google. All I know is that they are a Iron (III) Oxide compound mixed with Ceramic.

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #10,312 of 25,842
I've been hearing a lot about these ferrites, especially on Chord DAC threads. What do these "ferrites" look like. I haven't found a definite example of them on Google. All I know is that they are a Iron (III) Oxide compound mixed with Ceramic.

A non-controversial question for a change! Here's the Wurth 2.5GHz that's one of the ones mentioned about (well, one of the 2... Worth comes in 2 sizes depending on cable diameter).

Cable goes through the middle and you close it. If you do buy Wurth and want to be able to remove it, don't forget to buy the removal "key" (2nd image)

74271633S_sml.jpg
74271_sml.JPG

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #10,313 of 25,842
I found some degree of benefit using the QED Reference USB 0.3m from the Network Player t9 the DAC (not a Dave though!).
It has a ferrite jacket wrapping the whole length, a bit stiff but seems effective at list in my setup.

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #10,314 of 25,842
Optical.

Now search the thread for "optical" to find out why. Hint: get the search results sorted with newest first and put Rob Watts as the poster.

These are the two posts you want to pay attention to:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-648#post-13969760

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-649#post-13970809

Rob hasn't said if he learnt anything on this subject from the visit he mentions.

Now playing: Gabrielle Aplin - Alive

Maybe we should @ Rob and ask him if he still gives the edge to optical?

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #10,315 of 25,842
This should help:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/does-chord-dave-system-need-a-dcc.809287/#post-13799263
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/does-chord-dave-system-need-a-dcc.809287/#post-13799263
Now playing: Koda - Staying

Mar 12, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #10,316 of 25,842
Recently purchased a DAVE with the hopes of getting a Blu2 at some point in the future. I also changed out my source completely in prep for DAVE arriving. I am running an uptone modded mac mini, synology NAS and full SoTM trifecta with clocking mod. However, in trying to set all of this up after the DAVE arrived, I have had some real technical snags getting the roon server (running on mini mac) to see my NAS. I am also have trouble getting sms200 to work with mini mac. Mini mac is brand new and I am ready to throw it out the window <lol>. Anyways, if anyone who is far more technical than I and has a similar setup, I would really appreciate your help and would be happy to pay for your time. I am in Toronto BTW in case there is someone local. Please PM me... thx

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #10,318 of 25,842
Thanks @rayl and @Jawed ! Sadly Jawed the link to the 10 ferrite core packs do not ship to the U.S. Though the USB Cable does. Will definitely look more into this. Seems like a good way to get rid of RF noise and other interferences at a cheap cost.

If you're interested in to-specification ones with data sheets (like the Wurths), you can get them from DigiKey or other electronic parts distributors in the U.S. If you want to try a grab bag for a cheaper price, you can order from various sellers on Amazon.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #10,320 of 25,842
I live in Canada and there are multiple options for Wurth ferrites.

As per recommendation from R.Watts, I used Wurth 74271633 (100Mhz-2.5Ghz) and Wurth 74271131 (1Mhz-1Ghz), both sized to fit well around my USB cable. Dont forget to order the key so you can remove and mix and match for best effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back