CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #6,796 of 25,857

Yes, a good amount of play with the corner controls.
The podiums are supplied with a spanner to allow levelling, perhaps the levelling should be done before the speakers are put on the plinths? I tried levelling after adding the speakers but it didn't really work for me. I got wooden 'rollers' to roll my speakers onto the plinths, with the help of a friend.
I have two wooden suspended floors in my room, the one that came with the house and another I laid over the top of it. initially to get a good contact for my speakers I cut out two large sections out of the floor slightly larger than my speakers and went down to the concrete and then cut small holes in the cut outs to allow for the spikes to get down to the concrete. Consequently my cut outs weren't quite level with the main floor and a couple of the podiums corners straddled the main floor and the cut outs so I got some semi soft material to put on the cut outs, (the lower section), to bring it up to the main section to level the floor for the podium. Works pretty well and I didn't hear any problems once I got the podiums set up correctly.
There are a couple of sets on eBay, size 2 and size 3 available, from the same company I got mine, so got them at a good discount. I can't remember what speakers you are using?

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #6,797 of 25,857
Yes, a good amount of play with the corner controls.
The podiums are supplied with a spanner to allow levelling, perhaps the levelling should be done before the speakers are put on the plinths? I tried levelling after adding the speakers but it didn't really work for me. I got wooden 'rollers' to roll my speakers onto the plinths, with the help of a friend.
I have two wooden suspended floors in my room, the one that came with the house and another I laid over the top of it. initially to get a good contact for my speakers I cut out two large sections out of the floor slightly larger than my speakers and went down to the concrete and then cut small holes in the cut outs to allow for the spikes to get down to the concrete. Consequently my cut outs weren't quite level with the main floor and a couple of the podiums corners straddled the main floor and the cut outs so I got some semi soft material to put on the cut outs, (the lower section), to bring it up to the main section to level the floor for the podium. Works pretty well and I didn't hear any problems once I got the podiums set up correctly.
There are a couple of sets on eBay, size 2 and size 3 available, from the same company I got mine, so got them at a good discount. I can't remember what speakers you are using?

Haha I like your diligence chordguy. The things we do for perfection!

I am using Piega Coax 90.2 so if I take off the bottom additional spike plate they have a fairly small footprint about 26cm x 30cm

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #6,798 of 25,857

​You could probably get away with the size 2 podium then but I would go to Townshend to confirm the podium size requirements with regard to and speaker weight and dimensions and podium spring weight required.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #6,799 of 25,857
Cheers chordguy. They are quite weighty and very strong each having been hewn from a single block of Aluminium

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #6,801 of 25,857
  Two BNC cable coming out of Blu, only one going into DAVE?

There's another pair of BNC inputs right beside the AES/EBU input (at the left of it in the picture); apparently that's where the Blu 2 is connected.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #6,802 of 25,857

There's another pair of BNC inputs right beside the AES/EBU input (at the left of it in the picture); apparently that's where the Blu 2 is connected.

Thanks JaZZ, I was too lazy to check my DAVE which is sitting right by me 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #6,803 of 25,857
  Two BNC cable coming out of Blu, only one going into DAVE?

If you look carefully, there are 3 BNCs exiting Blu and all three are connected to DAVE.  What Rob has done is he's connected Blu Mk2's single SPDIF/BNC output to DAVE's SPDIF/BNC input to allow for A/B comparisons.  This allowed the opportunity to hear the difference between 500,000 vs 1 million TAPS.  

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #6,804 of 25,857
Have you participated at such a comparison, Roy?

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #6,805 of 25,857
  Have you participated at such a comparison, Roy?

Yes, Marcel.  I made it to CES last weekend and I got to hear it for myself.  No M-scaler vs 500k TAPS vs 1 million TAPS and the differences were easily heard.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/6555#post_13150786

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #6,806 of 25,857

Sorry but I just could not resist quoting andyv´s view of CD over at Computer Audiophile.
It pretty much sums up my view of that medium as well with or without remote control.

"and as for

" Chord's John Franks talked about how important physical CDs are to people and that the Blu mk II was really to bring out the best in CD playback. He went on to say people should have CDs, collect them, pass them down to children etc... And, that it's his belief that the "downloading generation" is missing the tangible quality and that people like cd collections. CD is important to John and he made if very clear. "

he should really listen to his children! CD is a legacy medium. It is finished. Over. Done and dusted. History. The past. Gone. You can pass playlists down to your kids - or even better, ask your kids for their playlists! I hated my CD collection, stupid plastic cases, minuscule print in tiny booklets, impossible to browse. Good riddance! I'm as likely to buy this as I am to buy a wind up gramophone."
Ps I hope andyv doesn´t mind my quoting him here. I could not have put it better myself.

Each to their own, i find having a CD collection extremely satisfying, same with LPs. I also like framing artwork.

The excitement of getting a new record in the mail, the physicality, reading the through the book as you listen. All of that gone when its a digital download. How mundane it must feel to be music lover that only "owns" digital downloads or uses online streaming.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #6,809 of 25,857

Each to their own, i find having a CD collection extremely satisfying, same with LPs. I also like framing artwork.

The excitement of getting a new record in the mail, the physicality, reading the through the book as you listen. All of that gone when its a digital download. How mundane it must feel to be music lover that only "owns" digital downloads or uses online streaming.

I do in fact have some ten shelf-metres of LPs in my listening room back home. And although I do have a couple of undred SACDs and DVDs too I much prefer the artwork size on an LP cover over both SACDs and DVDs.
I fully understand your enjoying physical discs as such. Apart from the tiny size of CDs it is mainly their generally unsatisfactory SQ i don´t like about them.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #6,810 of 25,857
I do in fact have some ten shelf-metres of LPs in my listening room back home. And although I do have a couple of undred SACDs and DVDs too I much prefer the artwork size on an LP cover over both SACDs and DVDs.
I fully understand your enjoying physical discs as such. Apart from the tiny size of CDs it is mainly their generally unsatisfactory SQ i don´t like about them.

I always used to think CD only sounds ok and vinyl was king but once you get a well mastered CD and a very, very good DAC digital is superior imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back