CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 3, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #5,551 of 25,909
Yes it is.
wink_face.gif

I know that some find the DAVE design polarizing, especially with the stand, but I find it to complete the total aesthetic.

I agree, I really like it with the stand. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #5,552 of 25,909
Yes it is. :wink_face:

I know that some find the DAVE design polarizing, especially with the stand, but I find it to complete the total aesthetic.

Yeah, I dig it with the stand. It's like some War of the Worlds type sh!t.

Ain't gonna buy one, though. :wink:

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #5,553 of 25,909
The stand costs so much money and it doesn't affect the sound. I think I rather buy something else for that kind of money :p

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #5,554 of 25,909
I agree with those that have said the cradle is expensive but it is not superfluous if you have vibration below it (which will probably be something like 80% of cases.) There is simply no way the little blobs of rubber on the back of Dave could possibly perform to the level of the cradle in terms of suppression of vibrations.

I paid for the cradle despite the price level. I think it is both beneficial and aesthetically pleasing.....but then again I am fastidious about the detrimental affects of vibration on hifi performance.

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #5,555 of 25,909
I agree with those that have said the cradle is expensive but it is not superfluous if you have vibration below it (which will probably be something like 80% of cases.) There is simply no way the little blobs of rubber on the back of Dave could possibly perform to the level of the cradle in terms of suppression of vibrations.

I paid for the cradle despite the price level. I think it is both beneficial and aesthetically pleasing.....but then again I am fastidious about the detrimental affects of vibration on hifi performance.

How much impact does vibrations have on sound quality? If there is a significant impact on sound quality, then maybe I'll consider it.

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #5,557 of 25,909
How much impact does vibrations have on sound quality? If there is a significant impact on sound quality, then maybe I'll consider it.

Rob Watts has posted several times on this subject - he states that the components inside the DAVE are microphonic, and respond well to using the stand to reduce vibration.

This came as a shock to me - after spending months reading that DAVE on its own was musical perfection, it seems that one is expected to spend thousands on anti vibration platforms, power supply conditioners, signal lead purifiers etc, in order to improve perfection even further.

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #5,558 of 25,909
It's a big subject ubs28 but simply speaking vibration introduces a lack of choherance/focus, (which is logical really) and a higher noise floor. It can also effect musicality. I say 'can' because it is not always the case and I have experienced both negative and positive affects on musicality in different situations. You have to go by your ears on musicality. I have my own theories on it which amounts to it being intrinsically linked to micro dynamics and tuning of a system imo and is worthy of a 10000 word paper tbh. :) The first two points are absolutes though imo.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #5,559 of 25,909
On a different note I was listening to Devon Sproule album - 'I love you go easy, easy' I have found when listening to studio recorded vocals via Dave that I am more aware of the influence of microphones and compressors on eq and dynamics. Many sound like electronic presentations of the vocal to me. Dave doesn't hide the fact that each vocal needed to go through electronics and the choices of producers and engineers shape that sound. I have always found that for the most part Devon Sproule recordings avoid the influence of mic and compressor. I would love to know what mic the producer uses for her voice.

Anyway, what I also notice is that whilst the vocal sound is clean as a whistle the focus of it is less real. It is wider than real life. I imagine this to be as a result of the ADCs they used. It got me to thinking that a Davina in and Dave out setup should provide a very tight and focussed image given the superior resolution. I am looking forward to hearing what Davina can do I must say.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #5,560 of 25,909
Originally Posted by Jawed 

Does anyone have a picture of DAVE's new remote control? Google has nothing. But I did come across this beautiful thing:

Originally Posted by Sunya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A remote like this would fit better the Chord aesthetic, all aluminium body and buttons.

I'm afraid this will be a bit of a disappointment for the both of you, but here is a picture of the remote control which came with my new DAVE just about a week ago:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6sZRnAa7uLibWRVYmJ6V1dHVHBWaVBGSmRYbTZSZEFVNjdV

Sorry I have to use a link for this, but I do not have sufficient rights to post pictures on this forum yet.

Peter.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,561 of 25,909

I'm afraid this will be a bit of a disappointment for the both of you, but here is a picture of the remote control which came with my new DAVE just about a week ago:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6sZRnAa7uLibWRVYmJ6V1dHVHBWaVBGSmRYbTZSZEFVNjdV

Sorry I have to use a link for this, but I do not have sufficient rights to post pictures on this forum yet.

Peter.

That's hideous. Who on earth designs the remotes and why don't they have a chat to those that design the chassis? 

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #5,562 of 25,909

Rob Watts has posted several times on this subject - he states that the components inside the DAVE are microphonic, and respond well to using the stand to reduce vibration.

This came as a shock to me - after spending months reading that DAVE on its own was musical perfection, it seems that one is expected to spend thousands on anti vibration platforms, power supply conditioners, signal lead purifiers etc, in order to improve perfection even further.

Thousands is a bit execrated. I placed my DAVE on a Vibrapod/Vibracone combo and this really made some difference in control, soundstage, bass etc. I also placed two AudioQuest Jitterbugs on the USB bus of my MAC-Mini. Rob Watts talks about this in a post on page 230 of this forum-thread. The Jitterbugs also contributed to a slightly better soundstage and control.

Mind you, all are slight improvements because the DAVE will sound awesome placed on a cardboard box as well. But I considered an investment of about $ 120,- a bargain for slightly better sound quality.

Peter.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #5,564 of 25,909
Just read the Hifi+ review of Dave. Often these mainstream reviewers hedge their bets a little but this couldn't be more emphatic. I like that he uses the word 'we' throughout the review and states that it is the best even at 10x the price. The regular use of the word 'we' seems to suggest his colleagues think the same.

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #5,565 of 25,909
My DAVE was shipped with the old remote, which I find to be functional but bulky. Would prefer a smaller simpler remote to make it easier to find the relevant buttons. I have too many remotes and would prefer to cut down. I like what Grace Designs has done with the m920, programming its IR codes such that it will work with an Apple TV 3 remote, which I personally think is the best looking Apple TV remote and is well built and cheap to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back