CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 6, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #4,966 of 25,860
Do you have the 2009 remaster? The Eleanor Rigby vocal is extraordinary imo

Yeah, I've have so many Beatles duplicates, including the 24 bit that came with the flash drive: vinyl rips, reel-to-reel rips, boots & outtakes, the 1987 discography, the 2009 discography, all from CD and vinyl. In other words, scores of Beatles! Haha. Mono. Stereo. Fake stereo. Folddown mixes. The list goes on.

But, like I said, I have a bottleneck in my system, because I don't have a linear power supply for my microRendu, so everything that I've been listening to has more of a sharpish signature. There's that. I'm still very much experimenting with my DAVE.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,967 of 25,860
Yeah, I've have so many Beatles duplicates, including the 24 bit that came with the flash drive: vinyl rips, reel-to-reel rips, boots & outtakes, the 1987 discography, the 2009 discography, all from CD and vinyl. In other words, scores of Beatles! Haha. Mono. Stereo. Fake stereo. Folddown mixes. The list goes on.

But, like I said, I have a bottleneck in my system, because I don't have a linear power supply for my microRendu, so everything that I've been listening to has more of a sharpish signature. There's that. I'm still very much experimenting with my DAVE.

Have you tried the other inputs to the DAVE to see if it makes a difference? (optical and coaxial)

Are you using headphones or connecting it to a power amp into speakers?

I recently got a mains power filter to supply my integrated amp, etc and I believe it helps clean up any brightness and harshness in my speaker system.  

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #4,968 of 25,860
Have you tried the other inputs to the DAVE to see if it makes a difference? (optical and coaxial)

Are you using headphones or connecting it to a power amp into speakers?

I recently got a mains power filter to supply my integrated amp, etc and I believe it helps clean up any brightness and harshness in my speaker system.  

Headphones only, and I haven't tried any other inputs.

While I have a great AC regenerator, I don't have a proper power conditioner (if needed) and I'm still looking at power cords. So, there's a bit of work going on.

I don't think the DAVE is harsh; it seems more like when I first upgraded from my plain ol' television set to my first 1080p TV. I thought that buying the TV was enough. I had no idea that I needed an HDMI cables, nor that I had to pay extra from my cable company for HD broadcast.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,969 of 25,860
I already have an ADC I used to archive my vinyl for listening on the move on my Walkman, however it does not output to the DAVE, it appears it needs the computer to register its USB output.

I want to listen in realtime, would the Behringer allow me to connect directly to the DAVE and listen in realtime?

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #4,970 of 25,860
The OP found Dave to sound harsh in his system. He definetely found it to be super revealing but thought it lacked some musicality. This seems to be the complete opposite of what most of the Dave owners who posted on these forums felt. He later said that Dave was uncolored and he prefered a more colored sounding dac.

Could it be that something in his chain is injecting RF noise into Dave, this causing a harder, brighter, yet still super resolving sound?

Yeah, I'm not sure. Could be. Or it could just be that the guy likes what he's used before he got the DAVE. As you've read, he obviously recognizes this as a possibility. Nothing wrong with that.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #4,971 of 25,860
Oct 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #4,972 of 25,860

I'm not sure that's necessarily true about all the SHM-CDs.  I have a few dozen and most of them are more compressed (and louder) than the non SHM-CDs.  They claim that the only thing different is the plastic used, but I think some may actually mastered differently.  I'm not sure if this applies to The Beatles on SHM-CD though, as I have no experience with them.

Remasters can be different. But if you get the SAME master for CD and SHM-CD, they have to sound the same.

SHM-CD is only snake oil.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #4,973 of 25,860

Remasters can be different. But if you get the SAME master for CD and SHM-CD, they have to sound the same.

You missed my point.  Some SHM-CDs are packaged to appear as if they are exact the same master as the regular CD with the only difference being that different plastic is used - but they are actually different masters.  As such it can be challenging to do an apples-to-apples comparison to determine whether the differences one hears can be attributed to the SHM process.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4,974 of 25,860
  You missed my point.  Some SHM-CDs are packaged to appear as if they are exact the same master as the regular CD with the only difference being that different plastic is used - but they are actually different masters.  As such it can be challenging to do an apples-to-apples comparison to determine whether the differences one hears can be attributed to the SHM process.

Yes, you are right. In this case only using some software to check the spectogram, DR etc.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #4,975 of 25,860
The 24 bit versions that were sold on a flash drive are an improvement over the CD versions.  Abbey Road in 24 bit sounds stunning actually.  

I find it difficult to enjoy to the CD versions - though I'm sure that they'd be more enjoyable if I owned a DAVE.

I'm fortunate to have early UK vinyl mono pressings of many of the Beatles albums. It sounds to me as though the original mono tapes lost some magic over the many years.  

But the flash drive versions are still only 24-44.1 im sure that the 16-44.1 arent unlistenable :/

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #4,978 of 25,860
But the flash drive versions are still only 24-44.1 im sure that the 16-44.1 arent unlistenable :/

Have you compared them?

Interestingly enough, in the past when friends have asked to hear high res, I often use "Hey Jude" as an example.  Even unskilled listeners are able to point out the improvements from the 24 bit version.  Ironic as arguably it's not truly "high res", but that extra word length sure does help.

I've also done this comparison for friends and family members who haven't even heard of high res.  Interesting to see their reactions.

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #4,979 of 25,860
I have had the DAVE here for awhile, and I feel it is time to share my thoughts.... Yes, that means it was put up against the Totaldac System Twelve, 4 box masterpiece from Vincent. This is on my 2ch speaker system.

The DAVE clearly prefers to be used with the USB input. No question, this is the best and only way to use it IMO.... Very killer USB input that does not care near as much about the source as some (all?) other DAC's do. They still matter, but not to near the degree I have experienced with other DAC's. DAVE is also a PCM DAC through and through. DSD is good too, but PCM slays on this machine.

Sonically, it offers up a very driven lean mean ballsy presentation. Totally "plugged in". Nice energy and dynamics, very dimensional albeit a bit shallower soundstage than I was expecting. Yes, I know this goes against all said about its depth capabilities, but that was my finding in my system. However though, the soundstage is deeper than any other DAC I have tried with exception to the Totaldac Twelve and Totaldac Monobloc. Artists are absolutely "in the room" with you. It is very very fast, and delineates very well, keeping artists nice and separated. It is rich, but it could use a bit more richness IMO. Overall, very neutral sounding and very clean and clear. It does a very nice job of eliminating artifacts and or blur, keeping images nicely focused and grounded with no silly problems like "head swell". Very low noise floor allowing images to appear in correct space. It favors tonal density to ambient and air. Sound is on the wetter side, meaning it does not sound overly dry. Nice big images, full of life, and very dynamic. Explosive even, so get ready. Bass is big, slamming, and focused, so no shortage of current delivery here. Highs are brilliant and natural with no aggressive edge. Midrange is quite glorious, nice bloom, full of energy, plenty of detail, smooth, and free of artifacts.

It also does something I found kind of interesting.... Some of my recordings that were not so well previously, sounded better through the DAVE, where others sounded worse, and even overly sibilant at times. These are different file resolutions for the most part, so maybe the filtering for said resolution vs. another is better with one than another? I don't know, but I found this interesting.

Good recordings sound wonderful and completely unharmed doing nothing but justice, of course, and worse recordings were a bit of a mixed bag, so take that for what its worth  :wink:

Digital sources used were the Totaldac Server over USB, a MacBook Pro with Amarra or Audirvana Plus optimized and ran on battery. Best overall was the Totaldac offering up a more focused, dynamic, and deeper presentation with the best clarity and lowest noise floor.

Overall, a true beast that beats anything I have tried near its price and beyond. Value off the charts! I love the looks of the DAC. Don't hide the pretty screws, lay them all out there to see, and this makes for a very nice contrasting sexy look. Who doesn't like pretty screws?  :wink:   I don't know why manufacturers are on this kick to hide them nowadays....

Comparison;
The Totaldac Twelve is the more romantic, more intimate and more transparent sounding performer. Although the dynamics are world class, not as explosive as the DAVE. Personal preference is a consideration here. With the Twelve, artists are in the room, full bodied, full scale, and with a deeper soundstage so you are better able to see the far reaches and go as deep as you want to go. Not laid back, just more dimension front to back. Dynamic contrasting is more obvious with the Twelve, meaning soft sounds to loud sounds are more scaled. High frequencies are about equal for both, symbols are correct sounding, but the Totaldac does a nice job of doing both tonal density and ambient retrieval at the same time. Artists have allot of energy and are very present without sacrificing air. Backup singers are spooky sounding and clear as a bell for both. The Twelve is wetter, richer, more intimate, and more "unplugged" sounding. Twelve has a lower perceived noise floor with more black between the artists with more air around and even behind the artists making them come to life with a round full body. More holographic I suppose is the right term. Not overly etched, just full bodied. Totaldac could care less about DSD or PCM. It has no preference here, and both are equally engaging recording dependent of course. This is the only DAC I have tried that does not favor one over the other. The magic is the midrange with Twelve no doubt about it. It has that magic and is never dry sounding. Dryness in the midrange is one of my biggest issues with most digital in comparison to analog, and I believe this to be the main cause of emotional detachment. Twelve is also free of artifacts and presents itself with supreme clarity. Bass does not have the slam of the DAVE. It is a more tuneful bass with the Twelve. Sort of like comparing horn bass to direct radiator bass. It fills the room, is very focused and deep, but it does not hit super hard.

Where the DAVE is absolutely impressive and commands attention, the Twelve is more intimate and extremely emotional sounding to me, and it does this without sacrificing resolution/transparency. With the Twelve, Classical music is represented near flawlessly and huge with massive depth and very obvious layering front to back. DAVE brings everything closer but does so without being aggressive, and still has a nice depth portrayal that most digital does not get even close to. Twelve does this better than anything I have heard, and actually rivals my vinyl rig in this regard.

The DAVE is just slightly faster sounding better keeping up with drum rolls FE... DAVE also has the edge with forward delineation, meaning a duo or trio of singers that are close together and forward for instance, is better than any digital I have heard at keeping them separate and never smearing together. This is VERY cool and important. I will also mention again, the USB input of the DAVE. It is stupid good, and eliminates the needs for reclockers and all those tweaky devices that try to make it better, and quite frankly should not have to exist. Most of these devices just present trade-offs instead of globally improving anything IME, but I can see the need for some DAC's to have these for some help. Big kudos to Chord for getting this part absolutely right, and further adding to its value points.

So there you have it. My take on a couple monsters. The DAVE is quite an achievement in bringing world class digital to a price point that more buyers can reach for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back