CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #11,672 of 25,867
It's not so much that the smps feeding the mscaler will not be good, but that a smps will kick back noise into the mains and degrade sound in components on the same circuit. Solution, dedicate a circuit to mscaler or use a quality LPS on the same circuit with other components.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #11,673 of 25,867
Just use a portable battery. I plan to buy 2 for the scaler. So i'm never out of juice.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #11,674 of 25,867
You can have manual video mode (off 1M taps 0.63 S delay, white 2/3M taps 0.1S delay) or auto (48kHz input - cyan - is assumed to be video and all other sample rates is assumed to be not video - yellow

For me, the autosensing assumption of 48kHz being video is not helpful. I have a dab radio for when the broadband gets flakey (which it often does here in our remote village) and I will not be helped by autoswitching to 2/3M taps when 48kHz is detected. You might say that it can be manually switched to 1M taps but that is a pain. I suppose I will have to bow to the greater good if video is deemed to be an important feature for the market but I just wanted to put in my 2p worth if I have correctly understood the input and autosensing arrangement.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #11,675 of 25,867
For me, the autosensing assumption of 48kHz being video is not helpful. I have a dab radio for when the broadband gets flakey (which it often does here in our remote village) and I will not be helped by autoswitching to 2/3M taps when 48kHz is detected. You might say that it can be manually switched to 1M taps but that is a pain. I suppose I will have to bow to the greater good if video is deemed to be an important feature for the market but I just wanted to put in my 2p worth if I have correctly understood the input and autosensing arrangement.

I think, but I am not sure, that I have also seen some Qobuz albums stream at 48kHz, Will keep my eyes open.

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #11,676 of 25,867
Yes, Qobuz has 48kHz albums, and Hyperion - a classical record label - has a fair few 48kHz albums too, typically older recordings. So you can’t assume 48kHz = video. But does the 48kHz = video autosensing only apply to toslink inputs? If so, it’s not an issue for those who use USB.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #11,677 of 25,867
I subscribe to the Qobus Sublime+ streaming in order to get up to 192kHz streaming so I may also fall foul of the Qobuz 48kHz albums. @Rob Watts can the user disable the 48kHz input autoswitching to video 2/3M taps as opposed relying on having to manually switching to 1M taps if a 48kHz input is detected ?

Also, if 1M taps is manually selected for 48mHz, does the manual selection apply until the user selects autosensing of 48kHz or does HMS ever revert of its own accord to autosensing of 48kHz?

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #11,678 of 25,867
Just checked my own rips, and I have but a single 48kHz cd - The Allegri Miserere/Palestrina Missa Papae Marcelli by the Tallis Scholars which I think I must have downloaded from GImell some years ago. It is 24bit/48kHz. A very fine, well known recording.

But Qobuz has plenty - a quick snoop just at Mozart Don Giovanni showed at least one 24bit/48kHz recording by Jeremie Rhorer. My hunch is that opera is more likely to be at 24bit/48kHz because the soundtrack originates from a video based recording.

So, I would most definitely want to be in absolute control over whether the M Scaler flips into video mode or not.

Oh just found another on Qobuz, without hardly trying, Mozart Flute and Harp Concerti/Hartung is 24bit/48kHZ.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #11,679 of 25,867
Yes, Qobuz has 48kHz albums, and Hyperion - a classical record label - has a fair few 48kHz albums too, typically older recordings. So you can’t assume 48kHz = video. But does the 48kHz = video autosensing only apply to toslink inputs? If so, it’s not an issue for those who use USB.

48khz was the sampling frequency for DAT which is why some older recordings use it. There are however, many recent recordings which also use it, quite a few on ECM, and I think it might be the default for DVD as many DVDs I’ve ripped use it. For some engineers, bit depth is more important and some use 44.1 or 48 (the basic frequencies of which all others are multiples) with 24 bit depth. The Dave and Blu2 don’t have a problem with these, so presumably HMS won’t either.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #11,680 of 25,867
48khz was the sampling frequency for DAT which is why some older recordings use it. There are however, many recent recordings which also use it, quite a few on ECM, and I think it might be the default for DVD as many DVDs I’ve ripped use it. For some engineers, bit depth is more important and some use 44.1 or 48 (the basic frequencies of which all others are multiples) with 24 bit depth. The Dave and Blu2 don’t have a problem with these, so presumably HMS won’t either.

Sure, the issue was whether the auto sensing of the HMS will automatically lower the tap length because it thinks they are "Video".

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #11,682 of 25,867
And does it make sense to label the button “VIDEO” when there isn’t a video input or output on the HMS? It is a lower latency setting, what would be the most succinct way of expressing that?

Perhaps to state the obvious, I assume that’s the button which makes the changes for video, and otherwise 48khz is treated the same way as all other sampling frequencies. I think one of the toggle switches on the Blu2 can perform a similar function although it wasn’t documented in the original manual.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #11,683 of 25,867
I don't think there's an issue with auto sensing, according to this post of Robs it sounds like you can have manual video mode or auto video mode:

You can have manual video mode (off 1M taps 0.63 S delay, white 2/3M taps 0.1S delay) or auto (48kHz input - cyan - is assumed to be video and all other sample rates is assumed to be not video - yellow)

So no worries.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #11,684 of 25,867
Perhaps to state the obvious, I assume that’s the button which makes the changes for video, and otherwise 48khz is treated the same way as all other sampling frequencies. I think one of the toggle switches on the Blu2 can perform a similar function although it wasn’t documented in the original manual.

No, I think the point we are concerned about is that if HMS senses 48kHz it automatically changes to the 'Video' setting of 2/3M taps. If you you don't want the Video setting, the way I understand it you then have to manually set it to the full 1M taps. I am presuming that if the input then changes to say 44.1 then the next time 48 is sensed it will again set to 2/3M taps. This change might easily happen several times over a streaming session of different material. Hence the request for clarification of how the auto sensing can be controlled and how and when it resets when it has been manually overridden.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #11,685 of 25,867
I don't think there's an issue with auto sensing, according to this post of Robs it sounds like you can have manual video mode or auto video mode:
So no worries.

I thought I had seen something that said one couldn't turn off the autosensing /auto changing but that it could be manually set back to 1m taps setting. If HMS can effectively have the autosensing/auto change turned off then all is well - is this the manual video mode in the Rob Watts quote?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back