CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #11,597 of 25,896
The only debatable point is your absolute conviction as to where the differences are coming from (jitter).

In the end you have to use what you enjoy the most. :)
+100
I did many tests before choosing my preferred setup.
I have tried a $3k SOtM chain on USB, I removed it, I tried both with and without a ton of carefully selected ferrite chokes...
I added and removed a $750 audiophile network switch.
All of the above was (to my ears) inferior to a simple iPad streaming via USB to the Dave.
And again all the above sounded inferior to my MacBook Pro via optical to Dave, with the iPad being very very close to the optical solution.

That's how I got my answer.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #11,598 of 25,896
Ah, I forgot the best part:
Dark in the room.
Dave, Utopias, Colleen's "Gemoetria Del Universo".
A glass of Lagavulin 16 with 1 single ice cube.

I feel as a king sitting on his throne...

IMG_0312.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #11,600 of 25,896
So is the seeming conclusion (from a technical and creator point) optical > USB? Only ask because if it's the other way around I'm considering buying an Audioquest Coffee.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #11,601 of 25,896
With that being said, optical seems to be the suggestion currently.

You just need to try both. Plenty of online or brick-and-mortar shops will let you borrow a cable.

I compared USB to optical and slightly prefer USB. It wasn't a huge difference for me.

But my USB path is fairly well sorted out. Paul Peng audiophile USB card, Audioquest jitterbug, Cardas USB cable...all from a PC that I built from top of the line components.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #11,602 of 25,896
You just need to try both. Plenty of online or brick-and-mortar shops will let you borrow a cable.

I compared USB to optical and slightly prefer USB. It wasn't a huge difference for me.

But my USB path is fairly well sorted out. Paul Peng audiophile USB card, Audioquest jitterbug, Cardas USB cable...all from a PC that I built from top of the line components.

The last time I compared I didn't favor either in any way.

That being said, optical seems to be claimed as the weapon of choice for Dave along with being a goof way to transfer as long as you don't need anything fancy like DSD.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,603 of 25,896
Alright, since we're talking about comparing USB on the DAVE, I have experiences of my own to share:

Today, I connected my 10 year old "once-considered-gaming-enthusiast" PC with a 12,5m optical cable to my Chord DAVE, as I wanted to compare it to my existing USB chain with a 12m Supra USB cable. The cables are that long due to the PC sitting in an office adjacent to the listening room. The USB chain remained connected to the Chord DAVE during the optical listening test, as it would be a hassle to take it out for each comparison, so you may consider the optical chain slightly handicapped in that regard.

The optical chain is:
PC -> 12,5m optical cable -> Chord DAVE

The USB chain is:
PC -> 12m Supra USB cable -> ISO REGEN (powered by LPS-1.2 connected via a male/male DC adapter) -> USPCB -> Chord DAVE

As I previously had confirmed that the PC -> Chord DAVE setup was capable of handling 192 KHz content using a much shorter 2m optical cable, I started listening to the optical chain using a 192 KHz recording from 2L, and it sounded absolutely great! I closed my eyes and let the music take me. Afterwards, I switched to the USB chain and while the same track still sounded very good, the microdynamics had been smoothed out a bit, causing a small drop of perceived clarity and reducing my emotional engagement with the music. Switching back to the optical chain restored that. The slight smoothing was now gone, leading to the orchestra and in particular the soloist violin being more clear, more dynamic, more engaging. I could close my eyes again.

I know my PC is very noisy as it is a watercooled monster with dual graphics cards, tons of fans, water pumps, etc. and the main reason I invested in the ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 combo in the first place. I would think the problem area is either the small DC adapter or the lack of ferrites on the very long Supra USB cable, which is probably an excellent RF "magnet" due to its length. Since I hardly have any recordings in higher resolution than 192 KHz, I could probably settle for the optical chain, but the perfectionist in me would hate to leave the job half done. not to mention having expensive USB gear sitting around unused.

Has anyone experienced or had any luck getting rid of a slight smoothing over of microdetails in their USB chain by either getting rid of RF using ferrites on the USB cable or improving the DC connection to their USB source, e.g. ISO REGEN, micro- or ultraRendu or similar?

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #11,605 of 25,896
Alright, since we're talking about comparing USB on the DAVE, I have experiences of my own to share:

Today, I connected my 10 year old "once-considered-gaming-enthusiast" PC with a 12,5m optical cable to my Chord DAVE, as I wanted to compare it to my existing USB chain with a 12m Supra USB cable. The cables are that long due to the PC sitting in an office adjacent to the listening room. The USB chain remained connected to the Chord DAVE during the optical listening test, as it would be a hassle to take it out for each comparison, so you may consider the optical chain slightly handicapped in that regard.

The optical chain is:
PC -> 12,5m optical cable -> Chord DAVE

The USB chain is:
PC -> 12m Supra USB cable -> ISO REGEN (powered by LPS-1.2 connected via a male/male DC adapter) -> USPCB -> Chord DAVE

As I previously had confirmed that the PC -> Chord DAVE setup was capable of handling 192 KHz content using a much shorter 2m optical cable, I started listening to the optical chain using a 192 KHz recording from 2L, and it sounded absolutely great! I closed my eyes and let the music take me. Afterwards, I switched to the USB chain and while the same track still sounded very good, the microdynamics had been smoothed out a bit, causing a small drop of perceived clarity and reducing my emotional engagement with the music. Switching back to the optical chain restored that. The slight smoothing was now gone, leading to the orchestra and in particular the soloist violin being more clear, more dynamic, more engaging. I could close my eyes again.

I know my PC is very noisy as it is a watercooled monster with dual graphics cards, tons of fans, water pumps, etc. and the main reason I invested in the ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 combo in the first place. I would think the problem area is either the small DC adapter or the lack of ferrites on the very long Supra USB cable, which is probably an excellent RF "magnet" due to its length. Since I hardly have any recordings in higher resolution than 192 KHz, I could probably settle for the optical chain, but the perfectionist in me would hate to leave the job half done. not to mention having expensive USB gear sitting around unused.

Has anyone experienced or had any luck getting rid of a slight smoothing over of microdetails in their USB chain by either getting rid of RF using ferrites on the USB cable or improving the DC connection to their USB source, e.g. ISO REGEN, micro- or ultraRendu or similar?

There are a number of possible explanations, including the length of USB cable — anything over 4 metres or so is not recommended — and the slight superiority of optical over USB with the Dave. In my experience, a slight smoothing over of sound is not an indication of RF, which tends to introduce edginess.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #11,606 of 25,896
There are a number of possible explanations, including the length of USB cable — anything over 4 metres or so is not recommended — and the slight superiority of optical over USB with the Dave. In my experience, a slight smoothing over of sound is not an indication of RF, which tends to introduce edginess.

I'm with Crgreen here, in my experience 'smoother' is not something which would be associated with RF or other crap overlaid on the signal. And this is where it is so difficult to discuss 'better' on in internet forum. For instance the RF that comes out of Blu2 could be mistaken for detail or life in the music or might even sound as if it is more 3D. Taking the crap out of the digital signal basically makes the music 'smoother' or at least less hard or with less digital glare. It takes a bit of listening and getting used to the new normal and then all the true detail comes through rather than the false detail due to RF.

I find that a sure test is to play the music as loud as you dare. With all the crap on the signal line you might find you very quickly want to turn the volume down. When it is gone the music no longer feels loud and in fact you may even turn it up higher.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #11,608 of 25,896
I'm with Crgreen here, in my experience 'smoother' is not something which would be associated with RF or other crap overlaid on the signal. And this is where it is so difficult to discuss 'better' on in internet forum. For instance the RF that comes out of Blu2 could be mistaken for detail or life in the music or might even sound as if it is more 3D. Taking the crap out of the digital signal basically makes the music 'smoother' or at least less hard or with less digital glare. It takes a bit of listening and getting used to the new normal and then all the true detail comes through rather than the false detail due to RF.

I find that a sure test is to play the music as loud as you dare. With all the crap on the signal line you very quickly want to turn the volume down. When it is gone the music no longer feels loud and in fact you may even turn it up higher.
C

I find that a sure test is to play the music as loud as you dare. With all the crap on the signal line you might find you very quickly want to turn the volume down. When it is gone the music no longer feels loud and in fact you may even turn it up higher.
Hi! Can you explain to people why you dont use pc or laptop? Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back