CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 26, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #10,533 of 25,865
I'm VERY eager to audition HEKv2s/Abyss Phi's/LCD-4's and some of the other headphones that others have recommended (I have a standing open invitation to owners of same in SoCal to drop by for an evening of nice wine, great music, and mScaler :wink:

I wish I lived in SoCal to accept your invitation, I would be more than happy to bring my Abyss Phi and one of my best wine collection bottles (what about a 1990 Amarone dal Forno?) to your place and have great time together, and become a beholder of the mScaler miracles :)

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #10,534 of 25,865
I wish I lived in SoCal to accept your invitation, I would be more than happy to bring my Abyss Phi and one of my best wine collection bottles (what about a 1990 Amarone dal Forno?) to your place and have great time together, and become a beholder of the mScaler miracles :)

For that we’d fire up Enzo Pietropaoli’s “La Notte” album, which is particularly amazing with mScaler and wine :wink:

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #10,535 of 25,865
FWIW, with some of my headphones, I heard only a slight improvement, with others only a modest improvement. It was only with the Omegas that I heard that spectacular lift. Humbling to have kit that so clearly and mercilessly shines this bright a light on the weak links in your reproduction chain.
Ok, got it. But wouldn't you say that with the HEK I should have heard a lot more than I did, which is nothing?

Furthermore, I'm assuming that, even though Dave's headphone output is great, connecting BluDave to a high-end amp would bring about even more difference.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #10,536 of 25,865
The Grado PS2000e is very musical and profound with my DAVE. (So is the PS1000e if you can find one; a bit warmer and a bit less detailed, but still extremely musical and sort of on a par with the PS2000e if you like the more easygoing sound.)

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #10,537 of 25,865
The Grado PS2000e is very musical and profound with my DAVE. (So is the PS1000e if you can find one; a bit warmer and a bit less detailed, but still extremely musical and sort of on a par with the PS2000e if you like the more easygoing sound.)
Are you able to compare the PS2000e to the Utopia? I have the Utopia and have been very interested in the Grado after reading reviews.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #10,538 of 25,865
HEK is also very musical and profound with Dave. :)

I'm just sharing my experience of being underwhelmed when listening to BluDave. Later on I realized that there is an off switch on Blu2 so that must have been the train why it skinned just like Dave.

That or it was faulty, I see no other reasonable explanation.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #10,539 of 25,865
This question is mainly for Rob Watts but also for anyone else who might know the intricacies :

I am looking at dave + dave + hugo 2 as a potential solution for active 3 way dsp speakers and am wondering how the clock sync would work between the 3 dacs considering they would all be fed from the same DSP board.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #10,540 of 25,865
This question is mainly for Rob Watts but also for anyone else who might know the intricacies :

I am looking at dave + dave + hugo 2 as a potential solution for active 3 way dsp speakers and am wondering how the clock sync would work between the 3 dacs considering they would all be fed from the same DSP board.
There is no clock sync.
I was wondering about using 3 Mojos, plus a computer as input, as the source for a 5.1 AV setup, as a means to listen to surround sound music files. I concluded that without any ability to sync the Mojos, there was always a risk that I would be throwing my money away. You have the same issue, but using much more expensive dacs.
I am sure that there would be a market, if Chord packaged 3 Mojos in a AV unit - I think it would wipe the floor with 99% of AV setups.

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #10,541 of 25,865
There is no clock sync.
I was wondering about using 3 Mojos, plus a computer as input, as the source for a 5.1 AV setup, as a means to listen to surround sound music files. I concluded that without any ability to sync the Mojos, there was always a risk that I would be throwing my money away. You have the same issue, but using much more expensive dacs.
I am sure that there would be a market, if Chord packaged 3 Mojos in a AV unit - I think it would wipe the floor with 99% of AV setups.

Thank you, i thought that might be the case.

Regarding the Mojo, i have a mojo, when i bought it i thought it's good/ok definetely destroyed my pc integrated sound card but one month later i got a Soekris Dac1541 and i have to say the difference is very very large in favour of the soekris. Yes it is twice the price but the soekris also has models in it's price range and from what i've read, the differences are not extreme. In my experience, differences between mojo and dac1541 ARE extreme.

Yes, it is portable, but it loses badly on resolution, soundstaging, transparency and pretty much everything while punching an unnatural low bass. That is on he560 and LSR305 speakers, as dac/pre and dac/amp.

Never heard the hugo and am keeping the dave in mind as a viable solution for a future stereo system where i want the best transparency attainable.

If chord was smart and customer loving they would have packaged hugo with poly and be done with it. That was the path of common sense.

I'm not a chord hater but imho mojo is overpriced....by a good margin, and poly.....

I'm not afilliated with soekris but i was definetely impressed by the quality for price.

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #10,542 of 25,865

I'm just sharing my experience of being underwhelmed when listening to BluDave. Later on I realized that there is an off switch on Blu2 so that must have been the train why it skinned just like Dave.

The on/off switch on the rear of Blu2 is a mains switch which stops all power to all Blu2 circuits. If it was in the off position then no sound would be heard at all through the system.

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #10,544 of 25,865

There are a small number of us who have previously reported that we were underwhelmed by the Blu2 addition. In my case, I heard a good improvement, but didn't consider it worth the £8k cost. So I'm prepared to wait for the standalone m-scaler (I didn't care much for Blu2's aesthetics and lid operation either). In the meantime, my HEK V2's continue to be a fantastic match with solo DAVE and continue to show their transparency and scalability with the tiniest upstream improvements. I don't know why I didn't hear the amazing thinngs that other Blu2 owners have reported, but life's too short to agonise over it :).

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #10,545 of 25,865
There is no clock sync.

I’ve used active speakers for many years, and I think that is a very interesting idea. Although you couldn’t sync the mojos, I am sure the effects of any minute lack of sync would be as nothing compared to the gross timing errors introduced by passive crossovers. But you would need a very good digital crossover before the mojos. Who knows, maybe one day in the future there will be multi-channel Chord DACS/amps with configurable crossovers that you connect straight to your drive units for a fully active system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back