CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #8,821 of 25,856
I'm thinking of joining the Dave club. From what I can gather, USB is the preferred input.
I'm currently using Woo WA5 LE (old version) which is single ended. Is single ended out from the Dave equal to XLR balanced out? I'm wondering if I might have to get a balanced amp to get the full benefits from Dave.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #8,822 of 25,856
I'm thinking of joining the Dave club. From what I can gather, USB is the preferred input.
I'm currently using Woo WA5 LE (old version) which is single ended. Is single ended out from the Dave equal to XLR balanced out? I'm wondering if I might have to get a balanced amp to get the full benefits from Dave.

Single ended mode is actually more transparent than the balanced mode.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #8,826 of 25,856

Rob Watts has always said that the sound from the RCA output of the Dave is superior to the balanced output. I think it is marginal though and I use the balanced output to my pre amp because I happen to have balanced cables of the right length.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #8,827 of 25,856

Tried feeding the DAVE via XLR outputs to a few balanced amps including the Moon 430 and HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and noticed some minor differences when using Abyss and Utopia but pretty much nothing with other cans. Whatever more power was gained using DAVE this way was not worth the slight decrease in clarity. Cleanness of the DAVE sound. So in short, I do not recommend connecting your DAVE to another amp.

paul

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #8,828 of 25,856
Yeah, all Chord DACs are single ended and the XLR is there for convenience. Rob's goal is transparency and even adding the components for the XLR out reduces transparency according to what he's posted on the matter (he's posted solid reasons why SE is better than balanced with his DACs). That said, if the XLR input on the amp side of things (if you must use an amp) is much better than the SE input then that may be the better option.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #8,829 of 25,856
Tried feeding the DAVE via XLR outputs to a few balanced amps including the Moon 430 and HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and noticed some minor differences when using Abyss and Utopia but pretty much nothing with other cans. Whatever more power was gained using DAVE this way was not worth the slight decrease in clarity. Cleanness of the DAVE sound. So in short, I do not recommend connecting your DAVE to another amp.

paul

I absolutely 100% second that - especially with something like a GSX MKII (I tried exactly that).

The exception, however, is sometimes I crave that lovely sound that only valves can provide. I know there is a loss of transparency, blah blah blah, but I am too in love with tubey goodness so it is well worth it on special occasions for me.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #8,830 of 25,856
I absolutely 100% second that - especially with something like a GSX MKII (I tried exactly that).

The exception, however, is sometimes I crave that lovely sound that only valves can provide. I know there is a loss of transparency, blah blah blah, but I am too in love with tubey goodness so it is well worth it on special occasions for me.

Here are some nice valves
Sennheiser HE 1
Is the DAC or DACs as good or better than the DAVE??

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #8,831 of 25,856
Hello everyone

I have recently acquired a set of Wilson Audio's; Just wondering what your suggestion would be for an amp sounding good with the Wilsons as well as the DAVE. The DAVE works wonders with headphones via the headphones out but I am having trouble finding a matching amp for it which also provides good synergy with the Wilson Audios. From my experience, I feel DAVE lacks synergy with tube amps (at least 300B SET amps such as the WA5LE mentioned earlier) which make the final timbre of sound a bit nasal and artificial sounding as well as accentuating the treble to harshness whereas I guess I would prefer a more midrange focused sound (sounding a bit more analogue). So I was thinking solid state amps but unsure of which one to trial. Dont have that much in the form of budget and was thinking either Passlabs / Gryphon or Chord. But am open to other suggestions.

What do you guys feel works best, with both Wilsons, as well as THE DAVE to contribute to that overall magical synergy that my system clearly lacks.

Thanks
thunder

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #8,832 of 25,856
Hello everyone

I have recently acquired a set of Wilson Audio's; Just wondering what your suggestion would be for an amp sounding good with the Wilsons as well as the DAVE. The DAVE works wonders with headphones via the headphones out but I am having trouble finding a matching amp for it which also provides good synergy with the Wilson Audios. From my experience, I feel DAVE lacks synergy with tube amps (at least 300B SET amps such as the WA5LE mentioned earlier) which make the final timbre of sound a bit nasal and artificial sounding as well as accentuating the treble to harshness whereas I guess I would prefer a more midrange focused sound (sounding a bit more analogue). So I was thinking solid state amps but unsure of which one to trial. Dont have that much in the form of budget and was thinking either Passlabs / Gryphon or Chord. But am open to other suggestions.

What do you guys feel works best, with both Wilsons, as well as THE DAVE to contribute to that overall magical synergy that my system clearly lacks.

Thanks
thunder

Well done on getting the Wilson Audios. It might help to get advice if you can say what model they are.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #8,834 of 25,856
I use XLR with Dave connected to Chord SPM 1200 MkII. I use Chord Sarum Tuned Aray XLR connectors about £2k a pair. I tried the upgraded Chord Super Aray Single ended connectors not so long ago in order to see how single ended faired with the Dave. This was a slightly better cable than the Tuned Aray but the very slight improvement in presentation paled into insignificance compared to the drop in dynamics i experienced with the single ended solution.

Now as with all things HIFI there is never a definitive answer to this question because someone with easily driven monitor speakers may well be better off using single ended connectors. However if you have bigger speakers to drive then I would always go for XLR. The Chord design in Dave feeds more power to the XLR connection.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #8,835 of 25,856
I use XLR with Dave connected to Chord SPM 1200 MkII. I use Chord Sarum Tuned Aray XLR connectors about £2k a pair. I tried the upgraded Chord Super Aray Single ended connectors not so long ago in order to see how single ended faired with the Dave. This was a slightly better cable than the Tuned Aray but the very slight improvement in presentation paled into insignificance compared to the drop in dynamics i experienced with the single ended solution.

Now as with all things HIFI there is never a definitive answer to this question because someone with easily driven monitor speakers may well be better off using single ended connectors. However if you have bigger speakers to drive then I would always go for XLR. The Chord design in Dave feeds more power to the XLR connection.

It may be me that is being confused but surely the voltage/power output from the Dave has got nothing whatsoever to do with how easily the speakers are to drive (ie how efficient they are) unless you are attempting to drive the speakers direct from Dave. Of course if you are using a Chord SPM 1200 Mk2 then you are using this to drive the speakers and surely as long as the Dave gives enough voltage output to then that is all that matters. The efficiency of the speakers really only affects the power/integrated amplifier selection and not the Dac or which output to use from the Dac.

You say "However if you have bigger speakers to drive then I would always go for XLR." but in reality it is usually smaller speakers that are less efficient and often it is the bigger speakers that are easier to drive. In any case, as I said, what sort of speakers are being used has nothing at all to do (as far as I know) with whether to use the RCA or balanced output from the Dave.

Just as an aside and I am sure most people know but the Chord cable company has nothing at all to do with the Chord electronics company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back