CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #8,686 of 25,860
Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. After reading the Stereophile review of the Dave I thought I would give Tidal a try and see for myself how high res files compare to normal streaming. For this I am running a Mac Mini into the Dave over an optical cable.

When I play a Masters file on the DAVE the song plays a double speed. I thought it might be the song i picked so i tried a number of artists and songs but none worked. I then opened Audirvana and played high res files without issue. It's strange...when I swap my benchmark hgc2 into the mix it plays at normal speed.

A few days ago the same setup played masters files no problem...any thoughts if this is a Dave problem or a Tidal problem??

I had a similar experience with another dac, the music was playing at twice the speed. The issue was resolved by restarting the dac and re-installing the drivers.

May 29, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #8,687 of 25,860
Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. After reading the Stereophile review of the Dave I thought I would give Tidal a try and see for myself how high res files compare to normal streaming. For this I am running a Mac Mini into the Dave over an optical cable.

When I play a Masters file on the DAVE the song plays a double speed. I thought it might be the song i picked so i tried a number of artists and songs but none worked. I then opened Audirvana and played high res files without issue. It's strange...when I swap my benchmark hgc2 into the mix it plays at normal speed.

A few days ago the same setup played masters files no problem...any thoughts if this is a Dave problem or a Tidal problem??

Try restarting your computer and/or your DAVE. I use TIDAL (with MQA) with DAVE a lot, and haven't had any problems. I just did some tests with MQA tracks ≥ 88.2kHz with Passthrough MQA unchecked (the correct setting for DAVE) and checked, and MQA tracks played fine (with fs changing from ≥ 88.2kHz to ≥44.1kHz, respectively).

May 29, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #8,689 of 25,860

Yes I have had this before on TIDAL. I just restarted DAVE and TIDAL and the problem disappears.

BTW has anybody else noticed that TIDAL is streaming Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band @ 192kHz. I thought software decompression was going to be limited to 96kHz?

Cheers
GG

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #8,690 of 25,860
Yes I have had this before on TIDAL. I just restarted DAVE and TIDAL and the problem disappears.

BTW has anybody else noticed that TIDAL is streaming Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band @ 192kHz. I thought software decompression was going to be limited to 96kHz?

Cheers
GG
Just tried it on Tidal. I get 44.1 for the 50th anniversary edition.

May 30, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #8,691 of 25,860
I just did some tests with MQA tracks ≥ 88.2kHz with Passthrough MQA unchecked (the correct setting for DAVE)
Does this setting do upsampling in software? Or is it decompression without upsampling?

Now playing: Robyn Schulkowsky and Nils Petter Molvaer - Hastening Westward

May 31, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #8,692 of 25,860
Thanks all for the thoughts. I tried shutting down the mac mini no luck. I tried shutting down mac mini then dave and no luck. I tried shutting down dave and uninstalling Tidal on the Mac then re-installing and no luck. Next step will be to transfer my Audirvana license to this mac to see if that will work (I have an older Audirvana + without tidal there now).

I'm sure Tidal is great, and I have lots of other ways to enjoy music but something about this won't let me move on...part of me wants to confirm this is a Tidal issue and not with the DAVE.

Is there something about how the MQA files are viewed by the DAC that transmits the sample rate that may be getting confused with the playback rate? Reason I ask is 88khz files seem to be played back slower than a 96khz file though don't have a file that is in both resolutions to test that theory on - just what it seems like to me.

Can anyone confirm whether playing files from a browser like chrome will be just lossless or if there is an MQA stream at the higher resolution?

Many thanks in advance!

May 31, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #8,693 of 25,860
as far as i understand,If you use Tidal with your chrome browser you will not be able to access the MQA files...if you download the Tidal browser you can

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #8,694 of 25,860
I would try using A+ or other players. I found the Tidal app doesn't sound as good as some others.

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #8,696 of 25,860
That does show to be honest.

Just a suggestion, but why not start a fresh thread headed 'Standalone M Scaler - we want it now and we want it cheap' and expound your views on that? Anyone else who is interested in comments about either Dave or Blu II can continue here without being interrupted by your whinging and cristiscism of Chord and their development strategy - which I'm sure I can't be alone in finding unnecessary and slightly offensive.

I think that it is refreshing and a privilege that Rob and John give us the benefit of their wisdom and insight on this forum and they must have much cooler heads than me the way that they let some of the constant sniping pass and continue to contribute.

Now now, telling someone to go somewhere else because you don't like what they are saying isn't a very mature way to act is it? And if Rob or John are bothered by comments by any of us, I don't think they need protection from people on this thread to make it stop.

Frankly, I think @AndrewOld is spot on about the pricing issue and his comments are a refreshing counterpoint to the usual fanboy stuff we get around here from DAVE owners.

Since you seem to like to offer suggestions, I'll return the favor with one - if you don't like what anyone says, then either skip the post(s) or click on the user's name and you can click on "ignore" and you won't see posts from that user going forward.

FWIW, I have not chosen to ignore you because I believe that you have a right to express your opinion here...even if I disagree with it...and I'm not threatened or offended if your beliefs or opinions differ from mine...in fact, by continuing to read your posts I may learn something someday.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #8,697 of 25,860
Sennheiser’s new $55,000 Orpheus headphone system

Has anyone had a listening session with this incredible system and compared it to the likes of HEK V2 and Utopia using the DAVE and compared it with MSB Systems DAC?

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #8,698 of 25,860
Now now, telling someone to go somewhere else because you don't like what they are saying isn't a very mature way to act is it? And if Rob or John are bothered by comments by any of us, I don't think they need protection from people on this thread to make it stop.

Frankly, I think @AndrewOld is spot on about the pricing issue and his comments are a refreshing counterpoint to the usual fanboy stuff we get around here from DAVE owners.

Since you seem to like to offer suggestions, I'll return the favor with one - if you don't like what anyone says, then either skip the post(s) or click on the user's name and you can click on "ignore" and you won't see posts from that user going forward.

FWIW, I have not chosen to ignore you because I believe that you have a right to express your opinion here...even if I disagree with it...and I'm not threatened or offended if your beliefs or opinions differ from mine...in fact, by continuing to read your posts I may learn something someday.

Thank you for the support 7ryder. And, for the record Malcyg, I've never said I want a cheap standalone MScaler now. I would be perfectly happy to pay a decent price, commensurate with the intellectual property and manufacturing involved. And who wouldn't want such a thing sooner, rather than later. As for not being a fanboy, well actually in a sense I am. I think it is an extraordinarily wonderful DAC, so my desire for a standalone M Scaler is driven by my admiration for my DAVE and the pleasure it gives. Guess I'll have to wait. Am I happy that Chord have taken the design of the DAVE further, yet packaged it in a way that makes no sense to me and many other DAVE owners? Nope. If people claim that leaving the CD mechanism and electronics out of the Blu2 will not make it any cheaper, will I challenge that claim? Yep.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #8,699 of 25,860
Thank you for the support 7ryder. And, for the record Malcyg, I've never said I want a cheap standalone MScaler now. I would be perfectly happy to pay a decent price, commensurate with the intellectual property and manufacturing involved. And who wouldn't want such a thing sooner, rather than later. As for not being a fanboy, well actually in a sense I am. I think it is an extraordinarily wonderful DAC, so my desire for a standalone M Scaler is driven by my admiration for my DAVE and the pleasure it gives. Guess I'll have to wait. Am I happy that Chord have taken the design of the DAVE further, yet packaged it in a way that makes no sense to me and many other DAVE owners? Nope.

You catch me prevaricating rather than getting on with a client's project and your post popped up on the screen so it is a perfect excuse to prevaricate a bit more. :)

I am sure that some sort of stand alone MScaler will emerge later on and it will also probably be even more improved from the current one in the Blu2. I do understand that for you the CD part is not necessary (or indeed wanted at all) but equally for many of us we are still happy users of CDs and so to have the CD player in the Dave effectively means that I have one less box to contend with and so the Blu2 MScaler is perfect.

Here's to hoping that the wait isn't too long for you.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #8,700 of 25,860
Thank you for the support 7ryder. And, for the record Malcyg, I've never said I want a cheap standalone MScaler now. I would be perfectly happy to pay a decent price, commensurate with the intellectual property and manufacturing involved. And who wouldn't want such a thing sooner, rather than later. As for not being a fanboy, well actually in a sense I am. I think it is an extraordinarily wonderful DAC, so my desire for a standalone M Scaler is driven by my admiration for my DAVE and the pleasure it gives. Guess I'll have to wait. Am I happy that Chord have taken the design of the DAVE further, yet packaged it in a way that makes no sense to me and many other DAVE owners? Nope. If people claim that leaving the CD mechanism and electronics out of the Blu2 will not make it any cheaper, will I challenge that claim? Yep.

Andrew, I was being sarcastic but sometimes these things don't travel on forums well as I am beginning to learn. I didn't disagree with your original premise and, indeed, I did say that my first reaction was that I wasn't interested in Blu II and would wait for a standalone M Scaler and that only changed when they added the USB input. I also understand your point on CD - I'd say that it is probably much less than 5% of my playback time.

I could sense that your frustration stemmed from being very impressed with Dave, as am I, and you wanted the improvements on offer through Blu II, but on your terms rather than the current offering. I understand that as well, but my point was that you had made your case very clearly and there was no need to keep on restating it several times over, hence the suggestion of an M Scaler thread. The title was sarcastic, but had you started a thread for M Scaler, I would have followed it out of interest.

I don't consider myself a fanboy, but it is hard not to be impressed with where Chord are taking things though some do seem to resent that. My comments were certainly not intended to cause you offence and, given that you liked my comments on the BluDave combination, it didn't occur to me that they may have. I hope not anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back