CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #8,567 of 26,000
Trying to understand "the Blu MkII’s sophisticated WTA (Watts Transient Alignment) filtering and upscaling algorithms can output digital data at 705.6kHz (16 x CD’s 44.1kHz native resolution). When partnered with the critically acclaimed DAVE DAC/preamp, with its 705.6kHz-capable digital inputs, the Blu MkII sets a new technical benchmark for CD performance, while redefining sound quality from the medium." So still don't understand why the CD spinner exists. Why not just apply the filtering/up scaling to FLAC files and get away from CDs. Why couldn't this just become the DAVE2? Would probably be better than the Linn Klimax DS Digital Streamer and a few thousand dollars less expensive with an all on one solution. The convenience of digital files and streaming makes the CD transport an anachronism in my opinion.

Rob Watts has been very clear in his explanations that with components currently available the Dave cannot be incorporated in the same case as the MScaler. So for a few years at least it is always going to be a two case set up.

Blu2 was always going to be a CD transport and the MScaler was an added bonus. Also, don't forget that there is a sizable number of us that DO use CDs as well as streamed music.

May 15, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #8,568 of 26,000
Rob Watts has been very clear in his explanations that with components currently available the Dave cannot be incorporated in the same case as the MScaler. So for a few years at least it is always going to be a two case set up.

Blu2 was always going to be a CD transport and the MScaler was an added bonus. Also, don't forget that there is a sizable number of us that DO use CDs as well as streamed music.

Yes, and it was originally planned without a USB input. That was changed, I believe, after feedback from forum users. Without USB in, it would be far less desirable and I probably would have passed and waited it out.

I understand why some (maybe many) would prefer a stand alone M Scaler, that was my first reaction as well, and I'm sure that a standalone, multi input M Scaler will come along at some point, but I don't believe it will be much different in price to the Blu II. As it stands now with USB, BNC and CD sources, it is quite flexible already and for some, like me, the CD is a bonus as it enables case count to be maintained rather than increased. I reckon CD probably accounts for less than 5% of my total music playing time, but it's a nice option to retain and one I want to keep.

May 15, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #8,569 of 26,000
read the review of Dave in stereophile. JA preferring minimum phase and short reconstruction filter over the years is totally opposite to the philosophy of accurate reconstruction of transients by rob watts. short filter length though gives less ringing but the signal itself for testing is not legal signal. glad that JA recognized the importance of long tap lengths through Dave. now question is, what would be the impression of JA for m scalar of blu mk2 which uses 1m taps.

May 15, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #8,570 of 26,000
I found it to be an outstanding match to the DAVE. Like others, it took some listening to adjust to the amp (similar experience to what I had when I first got my Mojo). After a couple days, going back to my classe 2300 felt off.

With my B&w 802d3's it felt like some particular transients were getting capped off. I switched to bridges mode (300w vs 100w) and spent several hours doing A/B testing between 100W into a single speaker vs 300W into a single speaker (SPL matched of course). When running bridged mode, any capping disappeared and the amp felt remarkably neutral and transparent

My hypothesis is that my speakers required more umph for particular sequences in particular frequency ranges where they are more challenging (the amp is strictly limited to 100W in stereo config)

I would be delighted with two mono amps in my setup. I have not yet decided whether to make the jump, but may hold off and wait for the chord digital amps. It was very very hard to return the unit I had for eval, and I may not be patient to wait That long.

I highly recommend giving it an audition in your setup. Well worth the effort.

I'm currently demoing an AHB2 and I agree that it's definitely worth an audition for DAVE owners. In my own experience, it's a very good match for Dynaudio Contour 30s, but seems to be a little polite sounding and light on dynamics when driving Sonus Faber Amati Futuras. I haven't tried bridged mode because the AHB2 is only rated down to 6Ω when bridged, and both pairs of speakers are rated at 4Ω.

May 15, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #8,571 of 26,000
read the review of Dave in stereophile. JA preferring minimum phase and short reconstruction filter over the years is totally opposite to the philosophy of accurate reconstruction of transients by rob watts. short filter length though gives less ringing but the signal itself for testing is not legal signal. glad that JA recognized the importance of long tap lengths through Dave. now question is, what would be the impression of JA for m scalar of blu mk2 which uses 1m taps.

Given how long it took Stereophile to review the DAVE, we might be waiting a while for a review of that combo. But who knows, JA might have been sufficiently intrigued to request a Blu 2 asap, though he makes no mention of such matters in his review.

May 15, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #8,572 of 26,000
Who gives a flying fluff what JA from StereoSchitt or any others think, all that really matters is whether the individual owner likes it.

I have given up on taking any review too seriously as a reviewer can always find something to nitpick about and on the other hand they also seem to conveniently fail to mention obvious flaws in a product - if they so wish!

p.s. I have never heard the Dave and may likely never do so, living on a small Island off the coast of Brexit. :ksc75smile:

May 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #8,576 of 26,000
I have been listening to DAVE for about 3-4 months having previously been accustomed to listening to Hugo. I have not read every post on this thread but I am sure there are many reviews of DAVE and its capabilities so i wont say too much.

I believe DAVE delivers a massive leap of SQ beyond what I have previously heard from any DAC. My initial reaction was how smooth DAVE sounded with a much greater depth to the soundstage with instruments much better placed with sonic dimentionality I had only heard on vinyl. Bass was much better resolved and transient information exceptionally good. Recordings of all resolutions and bit rate were laid bare and well mastered material sounded stunning. I dont believe high resolution material has any advantage unless it was mastered well. Many 16 bit rips from well mastered material could sound stunning and in some cases were better than some 24bit recordings. I gave up on the whole DSD / 24 bit / 16 bit stuff and simply evaluated material that was just mastered well.

Last week I was fortunate enough to hear Blu 2 with the M scaler hooked up to DAVE and I though I would share my thoughts. Personally i think a CD based system is going slightly sideways or backwards but hey folk have loads of CD's.
First of all I listened to a CD straight without going the the M scaler and it sounded OK but once it had been upscaled the difference was astonishing. The step up BLu 2 and M scaler brings to digital is not as great as when I first heard DAVE but none the less it is a big leap forward.

The main aspects I noticed through this system hooked to DAVE were an even smoother performance with a massive soundstage both width and depth, far greater than DAVE alone.. Bass was more articulate and deeper. The whole sonic experience for me now sounds like analogue on mastertape. That is how it came across to me. No digital artifacts at all. It was not like listening to a digital system, more analogue in its smoothness and delivery.One aspect I noted, I could listen at very high volume levels for long periods without any fatigue at all. Audio recordings through this system are remarkable and move the digital experience to another level.

May 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #8,577 of 26,000
Last week I was fortunate enough to hear Blu 2 with the M scaler hooked up to DAVE and I though I would share my thoughts. Personally i think a CD based system is going slightly sideways or backwards but hey folk have loads of CD's.
First of all I listened to a CD straight without going the the M scaler and it sounded OK but once it had been upscaled the difference was astonishing. The step up BLu 2 and M scaler brings to digital is not as great as when I first heard DAVE but none the less it is a big leap forward.

The main aspects I noticed through this system hooked to DAVE were an even smoother performance with a massive soundstage both width and depth, far greater than DAVE alone.. Bass was more articulate and deeper. The whole sonic experience for me now sounds like analogue on mastertape. That is how it came across to me. No digital artifacts at all. It was not like listening to a digital system, more analogue in its smoothness and delivery.One aspect I noted, I could listen at very high volume levels for long periods without any fatigue at all. Audio recordings through this system are remarkable and move the digital experience to another level.

Great to hear. I believe that first units should ship in UK this week. I look forward to getting mine given your reaction. Your description is exactly what I was hoping for and expecting given Rob's comments anyway. I'm still slightly apprehensive as I have not heard the Blu/Dave combination, but he was right about Dave so I trust him on this one.

May 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #8,578 of 26,000
Great to hear. I believe that first units should ship in UK this week. I look forward to getting mine given your reaction. Your description is exactly what I was hoping for and expecting given Rob's comments anyway. I'm still slightly apprehensive as I have not heard the Blu/Dave combination, but he was right about Dave so I trust him on this one.

I have had my Blu2 for two weeks now. I suspect mine was one of the first batch of units in the UK. My experience is the same as Hummer25 except that I think that the Blu2 possibly adds as much again to the sound as when I upgraded from the HugoTT to the Dave.

A friend is coming over tomorrow morning with a clutch of CDs that he knows and loves under his arm to listen to the Blu2 / Dave combination. It will be very interesting to see what he thinks . . . . . .

May 15, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #8,579 of 26,000

You won't be disappointed, the differences are noticeable immediately. I was listening with a friend and we were gobsmacked by the soundstage. It was so wide and deep. The sense ease and smooth presentation is beguiling. I believe Chords approach is unraveling the material that is captured in digital recording in a way we all hoped for when digital audio was launched many years ago.

When you think how vinyl/ analogue evolved over a very long period from the 78 to where we are now it is understandable how new technologies take time to fully develop. I would imagine in 5-10 years time we will have resolved every aspect of digital recording releasing its full potential.

I once heard one of the worlds best producers at a seminar say that digital recording was absolutely the best way to capture audio but transferring that audio to our ears was the difficulty. What was recorded was not faithfully being delivered by the electronics and techniques we had at our disposal. This was from an analogue fanatic.

One last point. When I listened to the Blu2 m-scaler via DAVE I thought how similar digital was now sounding to the best analogue on tape. Maybe digital audio technology will come full circle and we will end up with a similar sound without all the inherent problems of tape or vinyl but with all the advantages digital audio has?

May 15, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #8,580 of 26,000
I have had my Blu2 for two weeks now. I suspect mine was one of the first batch of units in the UK. My experience is the same as Hummer25 except that I think that the Blu2 possibly adds as much again to the sound as when I upgraded from the HugoTT to the Dave.

A friend is coming over tomorrow morning with a clutch of CDs that he knows and loves under his arm to listen to the Blu2 / Dave combination. It will be very interesting to see what he thinks . . . . . .

In order to avoid any damage, LPs go under the arm, CDs go in a bag

Interested to hear how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back