CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 7, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #8,476 of 25,885
Here is 2 clips of Dave vs Dave + Blue. Enjoy.

Hieukm, thanks for that amazing demo and thanks also for introducing me to Salena Jones' otherworldly vocal talents. The differences between the two demos played back through my iPad Air (not iPad Pro) speakers were not to my ears subtle in the least. The more expressive, highly nuanced and clear vocals and piano with Blu2 made the demos sound like two different recordings. It was as if one was a hi res audiophile recording and the other a much lower quality bootleg or MP3. I can't wait to receive word when Blu2 finally starts shipping in the US.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #8,477 of 25,885
Bear in mind I am commenting from my cheap and non-hi-fi computer speakers.

In the first video, it sounded like a great depth difference between the voice and the piano with the piano being obviously behind the voice with some piano notes being muddied by a suspected automatic and varying microphone recording level.

The second video had much greater clarity with the piano notes NOT being muddied by anything and the voice seemingly being more textured (emotional is also another word that springs to mind). However the depth seemed to have collapsed with both the piano and voice being at the same depth BUT quite noticeably distinct from each other.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
GG.

May 7, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #8,478 of 25,885
Guys I think your getting a little too excited, yes it's the first comparison but step back a bit it was recorded on a smartphone... Do you really think the mic in it is good enough to properly record a Dave Vs Dave M Scalar comparison?

May 7, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #8,479 of 25,885
Guys I think your getting a little too excited, yes it's the first comparison but step back a bit it was recorded on a smartphone... Do you really think the mic in it is good enough to properly record a Dave Vs Dave M Scalar comparison?
From a usefulness standpoint where the bar is, admittedly, set lower, yes. Optimally, no.

May 7, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #8,480 of 25,885
It should be you are hearing the big differences despite it is recorded by the phone rather than the phone is not good enough to record and judge.

The only variable here is M-Scaler, in and out of the recordings. The smartphone is not good enough to record then why are you hearing the differences.

May 7, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #8,481 of 25,885
Yes. I need to have my ears checked. I cannot consistently hear difference between the two clips. These two clips are both very enjoyable and emotional. Isn't better to showcase the difference using orchestral music given the claim that Bu2 improves on Dave alone over depth?

I don't understand how one can make the claim that Blu2 has more resolutions using these 2 clips. The music is simple acoustic and not a lot of instruments are simultaneously playing.

I am shocked anyone could possibly use a clip played back on computer speakers for the most part and assume a person could make a judgment regarding the Dave vs Dave and Blu 2.....have we all lost our minds?

May 7, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #8,482 of 25,885
Not only is it a low quality mic, but a simple ADC, then you have internet AAC compression too. Actually if somebody said a year ago that it would be possible to hear any differences at all via a mobile recording from a 164,000 tap WTA to a 1,000,000 tap WTA I would have said it would be absolutely impossible to hear anything at all.

Given that I know how big the M scaler effect is, I am amazed that one can hear it via a mobile phone recording.

May 7, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #8,483 of 25,885
Not only is it a low quality mic, but a simple ADC, then you have internet AAC compression too. Actually if somebody said a year ago that it would be possible to hear any differences at all via a mobile recording from a 164,000 tap WTA to a 1,000,000 tap WTA I would have said it would be absolutely impossible to hear anything at all.

Given that I know how big the M scaler effect is, I am amazed that one can hear it via a mobile phone recording.

These kinds of videos seem popular on YouTube, especially in Asia for some reason. Example, this person's channel is ONLY videos like this:

I don't see how anyone can tell much of the sound this way, but these videos seem popular.

May 7, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #8,484 of 25,885
Yes. I need to have my ears checked. I cannot consistently hear difference between the two clips. These two clips are both very enjoyable and emotional. Isn't better to showcase the difference using orchestral music given the claim that Bu2 improves on Dave alone over depth?

I don't understand how one can make the claim that Blu2 has more resolutions using these 2 clips. The music is simple acoustic and not a lot of instruments are simultaneously playing.

I'm sure the Blu2 has more resolution, but you're right, when they trot out these old chestnuts, with very sparase arrangements, it doesn't show much more than we already know, the less instruments the better it sounds, unless you have a super resolving DAC.

I would rather a lot of instruments getting down. Let's see what its got!

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #8,485 of 25,885

Once again a bit of education is needed I think.
I know there are quite a few here who don't like to be educated judging from some reactions posted when I tried to re-establish the ultimate reference regarding HI FI.
I wonder how many there are among those raving about these clips and differences between them actually realize that with both they are in fact listening to recordings made with a completely different system than the ones portrayed in the clips.
Guys wake up! you are listening to NEITHER DAVE NOR DAVE+Mscaler! But recordings made of the two.
And played back via yet another system.
The lack of references and sense of logic among some people here is sometimes absolutely appalling.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #8,486 of 25,885
These kinds of videos seem popular on YouTube, especially in Asia for some reason. Example, this person's channel is ONLY videos like this:

I don't see how anyone can tell much of the sound this way, but these videos seem popular.

Of course you can't but there seem to be lots of fools who believe they can.
I don't often use the term LOL, but this time I just can't resist.

May 8, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #8,487 of 25,885
It is too amazed for me that some of you, include Rob, cant hear the difference between the 2 clips. As said above, i am not judging how good Dave or Dave + M-Scaler is. What i am judging is the difference between Dave vs Dave + M-Scaler through these clips.

All of you can go on about all the technical details explaining that you cant hear difference through phone because phone mic is bad/internet compression/blah blah. But let me ask you if you have to choose between the 2 systems in 2 clips then which one would you choose?

May 8, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #8,488 of 25,885
I can hear the difference between the two clips; what amazes me is that the M scaler difference is possible to hear via a mobile phone recording thru the internet! What I could hear was the change in the bass via the opening double bass; the improvement in refinement and warmth; and the sound-stage is a little better. Of course, in real life it was very much more pronounced.

Once the digital parts (notably the bi-directional USB) are working on Davina, I will be able to post clips, and this will give a much better rendition of the M scaler.

May 8, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #8,489 of 25,885
I can hear the difference between the two clips; what amazes me is that the M scaler difference is possible to hear via a mobile phone recording thru the internet! What I could hear was the change in the bass via the opening double bass; the improvement in refinement and warmth; and the sound-stage is a little better. Of course, in real life it was very much more pronounced.

Once the digital parts (notably the bi-directional USB) are working on Davina, I will be able to post clips, and this will give a much better rendition of the M scaler.

Dear Rob,

Sorry for misunderstanding your message. I thought the bass and the voice was another league. The difference was so easy to detect.

May 8, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #8,490 of 25,885
It is too amazed for me that some of you, include Rob, cant hear the difference between the 2 clips. As said above, i am not judging how good Dave or Dave + M-Scaler is. What i am judging is the difference between Dave vs Dave + M-Scaler through these clips.

All of you can go on about all the technical details explaining that you cant hear difference through phone because phone mic is bad/internet compression/blah blah. But let me ask you if you have to choose between the 2 systems in 2 clips then which one would you choose?

I swear by the name of God. I can't choose which clip is better. I have listened in iPad Air and iMac. I simply can't.

I want to make it clear I have Blu2 preorder. I am sure Blu2 is an improvement. Maybe you have golden ears. My ears are not sharp enough to say one is better than the other with these two clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back