CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 2, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #6,451 of 25,897
Im really liking this setup , purchased Roon its well worth the cost
the cost

Very nice Rodney!  I presume this is the new DX Gen 2 which I believe might be the best Roon Server you can buy today although I believe I have found a way to equal it although not as elegantly.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/novel-way-massively-improve-sq-sms-200-and-microrendu-31110/#post618454

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #6,452 of 25,897
Yes it is , I also like this because it's a 1 box solution and another option is the CD Ripper
just insert CD and when it's done ripping it ejects the disk that simple .

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #6,453 of 25,897
Quote:
  Congratulations on getting a DAVE.  I agree, reading through nearly 6,500 posts is not an easy undertaking.  The most important posts are from Rob himself.  Start there.

In almost any setup you come up with, DAVE will not be the limiting factor or the weak link and so while DAVE will improve almost any system it is placed in, with proper care and attention, you will find it will have much more to offer.  It depends how high you want to take it.  While talk about Davina, Blu mk2 and Chord's new digital amp can be distracting, these units will be designed to especially shine on the DAVE and will allow the DAVE to show its truer potential and as these devices are expected to be released in the coming months, their discussion on this thread will probably be inevitable.

For speaker use, the single-ended outputs are a bit more transparent but balanced outputs sound excellent so go with what your speaker amp prefers.  For headphone use, feel free to experiment with other headphone amps and go with what sounds best but I believe you will find that nothing will sound as transparent as connecting your headphone directly to DAVE's headphone jack. 

There aren't a whole lot of settings to concern yourself over.  With the HF filter on, you get a touch more smoothness but at the compromise of timing.  Go with what you prefer.  

Same thing with crossfeed.  This is obviously applicable only to headphone listening.  There's no right or wrong and you will find people will have different preferences or no preference at all.  

Regarding the phase switch, you'll be surprised to find how many recordings are out of phase which can lead to a thinner and more bass-shy sound.  Out of phase recordings can also sound more diffuse with poor localization of instruments.  If you question the quality of what you're hearing, try inverting the phase.  

PCM Plus and DSD Plus are self-explanatory.  Unfortunately, you have to toggle from one to the other when you go from PCM to DSD if you want either to sound their best and there is a normal gap of silence that ensues as the DAVE switches from one mode to the other.  While DAVE plays back DSD very well in my own experience, it is well documented that Rob much prefers PCM and that he believes with everything else being equal, PCM at 16/44 sounds better than even DSD512.  I happen to agree with this and so the only time I seek out DSD recordings are if they were natively recorded with a DSD recorder.  

While it has become very chic to upsample PCM to DSD with HQPlayer, feel free to try it yourself and see what you get.  I believe you will find that DAVE does a much better job upsampling than HQPlayer.  Feel content to send DAVE a bit-perfect signal and let DAVE do the rest.  The exception to this would be digital equalization to correct for deficiencies with your headphones or speakers.  JaZZ can tell you all about what a difference this can make.

Should you decide to connect the DAVE to a preamp or an amp with its own volume control, you would do best to use the DAVE's volume control.  It is completely lossless and you won't find anything that will attenuate better.

As far as digital inputs, they all can sound good but Rob will tell you that USB sounds best followed by Toslink and that BNC has the potential to sound the worst.  With BNC and AES/EBU, the quality of the cables matter more as these inputs aren't galvanically isolated.

This is exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks so much.  

So far, I've experimented with the headphone out and through my Woo Audio WA22.  With the HD 800, I still like it through the Woo more than the headphone out.  Will have to see when my Eikons come in.  I head a Utopia through the headphone out of the DAVE and I was floored--that was a stunning combo.  Maybe that's next... (apologies to my wallet).

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #6,454 of 25,897
I came cross a tool that pit-perfect streaming for foobar and all other apps to our DACs and I really love it and I liked to share it.
what also good that you can install a extra mode to enable all windows app to go through it.

http://jplay.eu/

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/06/jplay-a-digital-audiophile-player-for-windows/ 

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #6,455 of 25,897

Hi all,

I know I'm the new guy and I'm probably gonna get shot down to oblivion with this question, but can we put all the Davina questions into its own thread and out of this one?  I just got my Chord DAVE, and I LOVE it, but looking for information in this thread is impossible with all of the off topic comments.  

Thanks, and happy new year to you all!  I learned a lot by reading most of the comments on this thread.  I would love some how-to's about settings from anyone else here if they have any!  
happy_face1.gif

Congratulations on getting a DAVE.  I agree, reading through nearly 6,500 posts is not an easy undertaking.  The most important posts are from Rob himself.  Start there.

I'll add just one additional piece of advice to Romaz's excellent suggestion, above, if I may:

avoid, at all costs, any posts in this thread by a guy called 'Romaz' - he's an absolute nutter and you'll end up remortgaging your house to keep up with his acute & chronic audiophilia!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #6,456 of 25,897
This is exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks so much.  

So far, I've experimented with the headphone out and through my Woo Audio WA22.  With the HD 800, I still like it through the Woo more than the headphone out.  Will have to see when my Eikons come in.  I head a Utopia through the headphone out of the DAVE and I was floored--that was a stunning combo.  Maybe that's next... (apologies to my wallet).

I love my utopia through the Dave directly, definitely a worthy addition.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #6,457 of 25,897
tested oyaide neo d+ A class 1m USB cable with hugo . despite no burn in, the effect of this pcocc USB cable ( even top of the line extremely expensive USB cable don't have pcocc based wires ) was immediately apparent in silky smooth yet detailed treble. the sound was lot more effortless and effect of being there was more. I have not used very expensive USB cables but pcocc wires are definitely doing the magic. only few cable manufacturers make pcocc wires. furutech and oyaide are two of them. I compared hugo with mojo too with same set up and as tested earlier too hugo is clear winner with more fluidity, clarity and sense of being there. having said that mojo is my preference over hugo for mobile use.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #6,458 of 25,897
Selling DAVE now, since i am going to move out soon, and for now i won't be using DAVE for months. will get it again later once thing settle down

for the time being i am selling it for a good price, and free Express shipping. its 4~5 Weeks old. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #6,459 of 25,897
I came cross a tool that pit-perfect streaming for foobar and all other apps to our DACs and I really love it and I liked to share it.
what also good that you can install a extra mode to enable all windows app to go through it.

http://jplay.eu/

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/06/jplay-a-digital-audiophile-player-for-windows/ 

I use JPlay, and it is excellent. You should be aware however, that it doesn't work with later versions of JRiver due to a dispute between the two businesses, which did neither any credit. For this reason, I've stuck with an earlier version of JRiver on my hi-fi laptop.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #6,461 of 25,897
I have not used j play but foobar also allows asio driver for bit perfect mode.

The asio driver seems not enough when your PC have in the background other higher priority tasks.
What Jplay do is to have control in the kernel level with an option to freez your PC(all background activity) for the sake of bit-perfect.

I'd like to here your thought guys on this :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #6,462 of 25,897
It's correct that JPlay does a lot more than ensure bit perfect dats. It makes a substantial difference to sound quality, though I'm unqualified to say exactly why this is. I have found however, that the PC Buffer and XStream settings can have a noticeable effect.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #6,463 of 25,897
background activity does not have any effect when asio output is selected because asio already bypasses all windows processes. background activities can only affect if too much memory is used by those processes and there is not much left for foobar . foobar itself with asio uses lot less memory.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #6,464 of 25,897
background activity does not have any effect when asio output is selected because asio already bypasses all windows processes. background activities can only affect if too much memory is used by those processes and there is not much left for foobar . foobar itself with asio uses lot less memory.

Does Chord ASIO driver do error/skip checking and retransmitting of bad/missing packets? If so, Audio player is irrelevant.

Unless unnecessary high CPU load causes more RF noise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back