CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 30, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #6,421 of 25,869
i have schiit Wyrd, i didn't use it on DAVE yet. so since i use PC as a source, will Wyrd help me with DAVE? or i should go with iFi iPower?? or both can't be used with DAVE?

planing to get sonore microRendu + UltraCap LPS-1 combo at some point.

yet if my Wyrd is usable or could help to clean the signal that would help. i didn't use it because i wanted to ask here first, just in case, or go with iFi iPower as a first step before i buy the "sonore microRendu + UltraCap LPS-1" combo.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #6,422 of 25,869
Regarding the polarity phase control. There is no standard for “absolute polarity” and many records are therefore recorded and mastered with all or just some instrument out of phase. For music there all instrument are recorded in the same phase you can switching polarities and try to get better sound.

Sometimes a whole record is recorded and mastered with the same polarity phase and sometimes it’s a mixed on the same record.

Polarity of a wave in both the left and right channel should be equal for best SQ. Meaning that the sound that comes from the left and right are timely synced (no DC offset). If not you can switching polarities on one channel 180 degrees (out of phase) to get both channels to play the same polarity phase. It is normally called inverted polarity, Chord call it something else.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #6,423 of 25,869
thanks Rob for clarifying. so Davina can be used for recording live mic feed as well as for converting old tapes via line level input. again my limited knowledge, in case if the line level input is very low or for live mic feed, how the gain will be applied inside Davina ? will it be fully in digital domain ?

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #6,424 of 25,869
thanks Rob for clarifying. so Davina can be used for recording live mic feed as well as for converting old tapes via line level input. again my limited knowledge, in case if the line level input is very low or for live mic feed, how the gain will be applied inside Davina ? will it be fully in digital domain ?

We are all interested to hear about Davina, but Rob has said that he will discuss it more after CES.

During the next few days, Rob probably needs some time for travel, then preparing for CES. At other trade shows, jet lag has sometimes meant that Rob has been wide awake in the middle of the night, and so has answered questions on Head-Fi.

Rob does enjoy answering questions, but let us all be considerate how many questions, that we ask during the next few days. 
regular_smile .gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #6,425 of 25,869
I just noticed something that is somewhat amusing. If you go to the Chord website and look at the Chord DAVE page, you can see a photo of a black DAVE. For aesthetic reasons, there's an Audioquest Nighthawk in the background that's not connected to the DAVE.

But here's the kicker, look at the settings for the DAVE. Its USB is getting a 192kHz signal but the HF Fil is set to Off and it's playing in DSD Plus mode which means the PCM signal is only getting 88000 taps instead of 164000. Big no, no's... Haha...

Now that everybody had a laugh, I just wanted to cause some audiophilia nervosa which was why I was at the DAVE page in the first place. I was trying to speculate what the new Blu would be spec'd at. Watts already (?accidentally) revealed that it'll WTA filter/upsample to 24-bit 704kHz with an 11th order noise shaper playing CDs and feeding that signal to DAVE (or whatever DAC would take the signal). The new Blu will probably have way more than the original 4096 taps, maybe 44000? 88000? taps for the above upsampling? But I think most people on this forum uses computer USB or microRendu to feed DAVE. What if Blu has a USB input and then the Blu just becomes an expensive WTA upsampler with a CD transport attached for those of us who don't play CDs anymore? Or maybe Chord has a USB upsampler in the pipeline to feed DAVE. Or maybe that's an additional function for DAVINA. After all, some other companies already sell external upsamplers. Let's hope not, even if it means my CDs won't sound as good as playing them directly off Blu. I don't think I want another box in my stereo setup.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #6,426 of 25,869
  I just noticed something that is somewhat amusing. If you go to the Chord website and look at the Chord DAVE page, you can see a photo of a black DAVE. For aesthetic reasons, there's an Audioquest Nighthawk in the background that's not connected to the DAVE.

But here's the kicker, look at the settings for the DAVE. Its USB is getting a 192kHz signal but the HF Fil is set to Off and it's playing in DSD Plus mode which means the PCM signal is only getting 88000 taps instead of 164000. Big no, no's... Haha...

Now that everybody had a laugh, I just wanted to cause some audiophilia nervosa which was why I was at the DAVE page in the first place. I was trying to speculate what the new Blu would be spec'd at. Watts already (?accidentally) revealed that it'll WTA filter/upsample to 24-bit 704kHz with an 11th order noise shaper playing CDs and feeding that signal to DAVE (or whatever DAC would take the signal). The new Blu will probably have way more than the original 4096 taps, maybe 44000? 88000? taps for the above upsampling? But I think most people on this forum uses computer USB or microRendu to feed DAVE. What if Blu has a USB input and then the Blu just becomes an expensive WTA upsampler with a CD transport attached for those of us who don't play CDs anymore? Or maybe Chord has a USB upsampler in the pipeline to feed DAVE. Or maybe that's an additional function for DAVINA. After all, some other companies already sell external upsamplers. Let's hope not, even if it means my CDs won't sound as good as playing them directly off Blu. I don't think I want another box in my stereo setup.

There is enough 'audiophilia nervosa' in the air at the moment. 
Tomorrow is new years eve, so have a glass of your favourite tonic, chill out and listen to some music. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #6,427 of 25,869
Its a configurable input - you can set it up as mic input with switchable 48v phantom, or set to line level input.

I did not want an extra stage (mic pre-amp) degrading transparency, so hence the configurable nature of the input.

Rob 

This is absolutely awesome. Perfect for purist mic recordings.

I presume then that this would also allow for internal M/S stereo mic conversion? It shouldn't be a difficult option to implement.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #6,429 of 25,869
please let's just enjoy new year, happy new year to Rob Watts and everyone at Chord

Happy New Yearear to everyone at Chord Electronics!!!
Having the opportunity to visit the facilities and the assembly line for Hugo was amazing.Back then Dave was just a prototype.
Thank you for all the wonderful things you guys have created.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #6,430 of 25,869
Wow!

I just don't get posts like this. Clearly the poster hasn't heard the DAVE and it's not the first time they've spoken nonsense about Chord gear. In the same thread they mention the Mojo's D-S glare. Rubbish if you ask me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv/3195#post_13128336

Anyway, Happy New Year to all the DAVE owners and a special Happy New Year to Rob and John! Looking forward to 2017!

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #6,431 of 25,869
Wow!

I just don't get posts like this. Clearly the poster hasn't heard the DAVE and it's not the first time they've spoken nonsense about Chord gear. In the same thread they mention the Mojo's D-S glare. Rubbish if you ask me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv/3195#post_13128336

Anyway, Happy New Year to all the DAVE owners and a special Happy New Year to Rob and John! Looking forward to 2017!

I only trust @Torq impressions of DAVE against Schiit DACs where I see no bias between the brands at all. Regarding Mojo, I don't hear glare except for some badly mastered tracks, but Mojo is ruthless in revealing a recording's shortcomings anyways.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #6,432 of 25,869

I'm happy enough if the photographer has the unit up the right way :champagne_glass:Cheers every one

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #6,433 of 25,869
This is absolutely awesome. Perfect for purist mic recordings.

I presume then that this would also allow for internal M/S stereo mic conversion? It shouldn't be a difficult option to implement.

Hello and Happy New Year Kamil21,
In theory DAVINA sounds very interesting indeed.
But who  except some  wealthy home/hobby   recordists,records with purist two mic miking these days?
I am not an expert as such. But I have been to  quite a few  classical music recording sessions as a photographer for major classical labels, and not even a single one of those were real purist mic recordings since many years.
The only purist mic recordings except some binaural ones done today  I am aware of  are the less than a handful of recordings  that Tom Caulfield of native dsd.com,  does in DSD 256 side by side  with Jared Sacks´ DSD64 Grimm converter recordings made in Budapest with the BFO and Ivan Fischer conducting. 
He uses only five mics for  his mch /surround recordings. But he does not record with only two mics for classic stereo speaker reproduction, nor does anyone else in the industry as far as I know.
Morevover his recordings are not released yet.
Correct me if I´m wrong. I wish I were. But really doubt it.
No one would be happier than me if I could get the natural very realistic balance in plain stereo  of the late 50s blumlein EMI´s or Living Stereos or Decca tree takes of the glorious analogue age. Recordings that in some ways still beat  a lot of what is done by the majors today.
And they do so in spite of inherent limitations of analogue tape but thanks to simple miking and balancing in the hall, not studio post production and 30 to 50 channels as is the norm today.
I remember Rob saying something along the lines that classical music recordings are  not tampered with as pop/rock is .But unfortunately it is.And has been for many years.
Also judging by the intended pricing of DAVINA I doubt  the cost conscious professionals will be interested  in a  two mics stereo only ADC for 10k when they can buy anmch capable Horus or Hapi or similar for less than half the price.
They days when one could make good money from recording classical music are probably over.
As a music lover who has got the live concert hall sound of an orchestra as heard in the hall from a good seat in the hall or alternately the conductor´s pult, I would love to hear my beloved acoustic music closer to  how it sounds  LIVE again.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #6,434 of 25,869
Hello and Happy New Year Kamil21,
In theory DAVINA sounds very interesting indeed.
But who  except some  wealthy home/hobby   recordists,records with purist two mic miking these days?
I am not an expert as such. But I have been to  quite a few  classical music recording sessions as a photographer for major classical labels, and not even a single one of those were real purist mic recordings since many years.
The only purist mic recordings except some binaural ones done today  I am aware of  are the less than a handful of recordings  that Tom Caulfield of native dsd.com,  does in DSD 256 side by side  with Jared Sacks´ DSD64 Grimm converter recordings made in Budapest with the BFO and Ivan Fischer conducting. 
He uses only five mics for  his mch /surround recordings. But he does not record with only two mics for classic stereo speaker reproduction, nor does anyone else in the industry as far as I know.
Morevover his recordings are not released yet.
Correct me if I´m wrong. I wish I were. But really doubt it.
No one would be happier than me if I could get the natural very realistic balance in plain stereo  of the late 50s blumlein EMI´s or Living Stereos or Decca tree takes of the glorious analogue age. Recordings that in some ways still beat  a lot of what is done by the majors today.
And they do so in spite of inherent limitations of analogue tape but thanks to simple miking and balancing in the hall, not studio post production and 30 to 50 channels as is the norm today.
Also judging by the intended pricing of DAVINA I doubt  the cost conscious professionals will be interested  in a  two mics stereo only ADC for 10k when they can buy anmch capable Horus or Hapi or similar for less than half the price.
They days when one could make good money from recording classical music are probably over.
As a music lover who has got the live conceert hall osund of an orchestra as heard in the hall from a good seat in the hall or alternately the conductor´s pult, I would love to hear my beloved acoustic music closer to  how it sounds  LIVE again.

Happy New Year too, Christer!

Yes, sad but true... thankfully there are a few diehard labels that come close:
http://www.chesky.com/content/binaural-series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back