CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 13, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #5,701 of 25,909
Mm..advice needed: is it okay to use a power bank (outputs 110 volts, up to 85 watt support) to off-grid the Chord Dave? The specs for Dave is 110 to 240 volts, 20 watts. Just making sure I am doing the right thing here. Tia.

Since the DAVE only draws 20W, obviously, your solution works. So I think you can do it but sounds like overkill to me. I think you're better off plugging the DAVE into the wall and worrying about your source and whether there is a ground/leakage current between your source and DAVE (assuming you're listening using headphones). But then if you already have a power bank, why not...

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #5,702 of 25,909
Wow I didn't know he was still touring

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #5,703 of 25,909
Which crossfeed setting do you guys think is best?

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #5,705 of 25,909
Search this thread using the keyword "crossfeed".
Several discussions appear, related to different types of headphone, music etc, so maybe one of them will be relevant to you.

Ok thanks.

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,707 of 25,909
Some people like crossfeed 3. Some like crossfeed 2. Others like no crossfeed. Rob likes 3. It's entirely a personal preference. I bounce around between off and 3 depending on the recording.

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #5,708 of 25,909
I have been listening to the crossfeed for the first time recently,especially on the old unnatural stereo recordings from the 60's...earlier today i listened to some early Jefferson Airplane where the separation is unnatural and you hear the guitar all the way on the right and the drums and bass all the way on the left with vocals in the middle.....the crossfeed does make this a more pleasant listen and in general with HP's does enhance the experience....I do not find all that much difference between the 3 settings so I tend to stick to 3 only because the inventor and designer tells me that is what he finds to be best!

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #5,709 of 25,909
@Rob Watts

Rob, i was thinking if a Binaural DSP converter is something you have ever thaught of to implemend in your future design as an fidelity feature like the phase switch on Dave for example?

Why i question this is because i know Goldmund have implemented this in their DSP headphone THA2 amp with a pretty good result to convert a normal song in to binaural, and if you where doing this i know it would be to a total perfection!

http://www.goldmund.com/en/products/telos_headphone_amplifier_2

Or do you see drawbacks with this pretty "cool" feature?

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #5,710 of 25,909
@Rob Watts

Rob, i was thinking if a Binaural DSP converter is something you have ever thaught of to implemend in your future design as an fidelity feature like the phase switch on Dave for example?

Why i question this is because i know Goldmund have implemented this in their DSP headphone THA2 amp with a pretty good result to convert a normal song in to binaural, and if you where doing this i know it would be to a total perfection!

Sigh... just throw away your cans and use DAVE properly, with 2ch loudspeakers, dammit!
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #5,711 of 25,909
  I have been listening to the crossfeed for the first time recently,especially on the old unnatural stereo recordings from the 60's...earlier today i listened to some early Jefferson Airplane where the separation is unnatural and you hear the guitar all the way on the right and the drums and bass all the way on the left with vocals in the middle.....the crossfeed does make this a more pleasant listen and in general with HP's does enhance the experience....I do not find all that much difference between the 3 settings so I tend to stick to 3 only because the inventor and designer tells me that is what he finds to be best!

the beatles stereo mixes are quite bad for this.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #5,712 of 25,909

the beatles stereo mixes are quite bad for this.

It's common with lots of stereo remixed late 60s and early 70s recordings

For example, Neil Diamond immediately springs to mind

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #5,713 of 25,909
@Rob Watts

Already done - the Goldmund is based on Linkwitz crossfeed, which is very similar to my setting 3.

Of interest to me is doing something more advanced, but this would not be a simple project, I have lots of other things in the pipeline! In particular I would like to get the depth perception from loudspeakers on headphones.

Rob

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #5,714 of 25,909
Some people like crossfeed 3. Some like crossfeed 2. Others like no crossfeed. Rob likes 3. It's entirely a personal preference. I bounce around between off and 3 depending on the recording.

Well I quite like crossfeed 1 (or none at all), which just goes to show that it's good to have the choice.
With 2 and 3, the sound seems to lose some air and openness, which may be good thing on some over-wide recordings, but mostly these settings lose more than they gain for me.

I've long stopped serious listening to properly set up loudspeakers, so that probably affects my reaction to the cross-feed settings.
I do applaud Rob's aim to improve depth perception in headphones. As my system gradually improves, when I hear even a small improvement to depth perception - well it's a magical thing.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #5,715 of 25,909
  Already done - the Goldmund is based on Linkwitz crossfeed, which is very similar to my setting 3.

Of interest to me is doing something more advanced, but this would not be a simple project, I have lots of other things in the pipeline! In particular I would like to get the depth perception from loudspeakers on headphones.

Rob

What a good news!  I look forward to hearing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back