CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 31, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #5,476 of 26,005
Also published in the same edition of Hi-Fi Plus is an equally effusive review of the full Vivaldi 2.0 system, by a different reviewer. It would have been interesting for both reviewers to do a contrast and compare review, but the magazine would probably not want to offend by doing so. Mind you, Sircom says the DAVE is better than anything at any price, but that begs the questions: does he include the Vivaldi in that?

The new dCS 2.0 would make a Vivaldi/DAVE shootout a lot of fun.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #5,477 of 26,005
  That's very interesting analogmusic.

I'm pleased to hear you've ordered one at last and I'm looking forward to your in depth review. When does your black one arrive and how will you implement it with your Naim system? 

Thank you Flummoxed and welcome to Head-fi. 

I won't have much to add to what has already been posted about Dave. I am was enjoying Mojo and Hugo a lot, and wanted to know if Dave is much better, and once I heard Dave, as the HiFi + reviewer said, it only takes a few moments to understand how special Dave is, as good as Hugo is, once I heard the (even bigger than Hugo) soundstage of Dave, and how much more musical it was, I knew I had to buy one. So I won't be changing my old and heavily used car for a few more years as a result of this, but music is much more important to me than a car. 

Chord have received a huge amount of orders for Dave and it is in great demand all over the world, and mine will arrive in a few weeks (I was told 6-8 weeks when I ordered it)

About Naim - I use a squeezebox touch with my Hugo through optical out, and that is the same source I will use with Dave. Or maybe a Laptop running off battery. If you are familiar with Naim, I am using a RCA to Din cable for my Hugo.

I've been an audiophile since a young age, when I was impressed by the Bang and Olufsen systems I heard back in the early 80's, and loved the era of Vinyl and analog tape. I then heard a Naim system 10 years ago and loved it, but Dave is for me almost the final destination of my audiophile journey. (the last one will be the Chord million tap DAC, but I think we're quite a few years away from that). And keenly waiting for hear recordings made on Davina.

I never liked early digital, and for me Dave is a musical dream come true in terms of being able to hear the microdynamics, rhythmic qualities, emotion, 3d soundstage, spacious sound, musicality from the good old red book CD. 

Can't wait to get it !

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #5,478 of 26,005
I mean Rob Watts being recognised personally for his contribution to the industry.

I get my reward every time I board a flight with Mojo, enter a hotel room with Dave, go to work in my office and listen at night with Dave.

Four years ago I could never have imagined these improvements in being able to enjoy music. All I could see was the huge chasm between recorded music and live un-amplified music; and closing that gap (and I hope with more improvements to come) is my reward.

Oh and Blu Mk2 - I am guilty for the delay. I had the prototype working in August, but I found a way to further improve SQ. It cost me 2 or 3 months (sorry Davina) but it has been worth it. I hope to have it wrapped up very soon, then I can talk about it.

Rob 

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #5,480 of 26,005
Love that sound
I can only go by own tests and I couldn't find an optical lead which beat the Chord Sarum Super Aray Digital.

Bear in mind also that Dave outs its digital for future amps via Coaxial. If you have RF under control, Coaxial is still a very good ( I would say superior) connection.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #5,481 of 26,005
I have a similar mindset Rob. I keep reminding myself how lucky I am to experience such emotional and dynamic performances in my own home. However my personal productivity around the house has fallen dramatically! :grinning:

Looking forward to hearing more on the new Blu

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #5,482 of 26,005
Love that sound
I can only go by own tests and I couldn't find an optical lead which beat the Chord Sarum Super Aray Digital.

Bear in mind also that Dave outs its digital for future amps via Coaxial. If you have RF under control, Coaxial is still a very good ( I would say superior) connection.
How can coaxial be superior Dave?It's already been said on this thread by Rob himself,many times that usb and optical are the best ways connect you're equipment to the Dave.coaxial will always be prone to RF issues and coloured sound.☺

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #5,483 of 26,005

Thank you Flummoxed and welcome to Head-fi. 

I won't have much to add to what has already been posted about Dave. I am was enjoying Mojo and Hugo a lot, and wanted to know if Dave is much better, and once I heard Dave, as the HiFi + reviewer said, it only takes a few moments to understand how special Dave is, as good as Hugo is, once I heard the (even bigger than Hugo) soundstage of Dave, and how much more musical it was, I knew I had to buy one. So I won't be changing my old and heavily used car for a few more years as a result of this, but music is much more important to me than a car. 

Chord have received a huge amount of orders for Dave and it is in great demand all over the world, and mine will arrive in a few weeks (I was told 6-8 weeks when I ordered it)

About Naim - I use a squeezebox touch with my Hugo through optical out, and that is the same source I will use with Dave. Or maybe a Laptop running off battery. If you are familiar with Naim, I am using a RCA to Din cable for my Hugo.

I've been an audiophile since a young age, when I was impressed by the Bang and Olufsen systems I heard back in the early 80's, and loved the era of Vinyl and analog tape. I then heard a Naim system 10 years ago and loved it, but Dave is for me almost the final destination of my audiophile journey. (the last one will be the Chord million tap DAC, but I think we're quite a few years away from that). And keenly waiting for hear recordings made on Davina.

I never liked early digital, and for me Dave is a musical dream come true in terms of being able to hear the microdynamics, rhythmic qualities, emotion, 3d soundstage, spacious sound, musicality from the good old red book CD. 

Can't wait to get it !

Thanks analogmusic.

Yes it's always exciting waiting for a new purchase to arrive and it will be worth the wait i'm sure. Even if you have to hitchhike to work ;o)

I'm no expert on Squeezebox so playing devils advocate, but isn't the Dave worthy of a far better source than the squeezebox touch?

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #5,485 of 26,005
  I suppose the Squeezebox isn't the best front end for Dave, but it has Galvanic isolation through optical.

Rob Watts does use his Dave with a Laptop while on battery.

Hi Rob,

Would you mind me asking what software you use on your laptop as the source?

Thanks

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #5,486 of 26,005
  .... Blu Mk2 - I am guilty for the delay. I had the prototype working in August, but I found a way to further improve SQ. It cost me 2 or 3 months (sorry Davina) but it has been worth it. I hope to have it wrapped up very soon, then I can talk about it.

Rob 

Don't rush Rob, we all prefer to trade few weeks for an even better SQ :wink:

but, is Blu MK2:   CD player or... CD/SACD ? 

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #5,488 of 26,005
I tried a number of optical and Coaxial cables and also AES. The optical choices included the well regarded Lifatec TLTLG-OS but I found Coaxial to be superior in dynamics and musicality. I found the presentation of sound, for instance Acoustic guitar strings to be better balanced (true to life) with the Chord Sarum Super Aray digital cable.

Maybe it's because the usual RF and electricity nasties are well controlled. I use Vertex AQ and Isotek for their own purposes but do not plug the VAQ components into the Sigmas. It works for me.

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #5,490 of 26,005
Blu mk2 does have optical as an output - but only up to 176.4 kHz. Blu mk2 has 705.6 k capable OP's and the only way of connecting this to Dave is via dual BNC.

The BNC outputs are RF isolated, and its the RF noise that is the main problem. There are also options for full galvanic isolation via BNC too, and with it running at 705.6 kHz, so no need to worry.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back