CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 16, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,016 of 26,005
  Actually I'm very happy with the sound of my headphones driven by DAVE's headphone out. But only with this device in the signal chain:

Very interesting and clever, Jazz.  Bybee and Steinmusic create similar attachments that impact the quality of the signal and while I have not dabbled with these sort of tweaks outside of the High Fidelity gear, it looks like you are using this device to purposefully tune your sound to your liking.

May 16, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #3,017 of 26,005
  Very interesting and clever, Jazz.  Bybee and Steinmusic create similar attachments that impact the quality of the signal and while I have not dabbled with these sort of tweaks outside of the High Fidelity gear, it looks like you are using this device to purposefully tune your sound to your liking.

That looks good.  What is it?  a female 1/4 to 1/4 male into DAVE?  All gold?

May 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,018 of 26,005

Actually I'm very happy with the sound of my headphones driven by DAVE's headphone out. But only with this device in the signal chain:

Yes, it's what you already might have guessed: a 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter sticking in a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter. Thus a chunk of metal. Something that high-end manufacturers such as WBT («Nextgen») try to avoid in their connectors.

May 16, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #3,019 of 26,005
I'm also thinking of the massive magnetic fields pervading the living or listening rooms, with unknown physical long-term consequences (this although DC fields are generally considered relatively harmless). 

I share this same concern.  In my line of work, I am exposed to X-ray radiation while in the operating room and so my potential exposure is quite high which is why I wear a monitoring badge.  Obviously, this potentially harmful exposure is of concern to me.  In addition to X-rays, CT scanners output even more radiation.  Ultrasounds and MRI machines do not.  Nonetheless, @paulchiu alerted me to the fact that he was noticing how some of his audio components, especially certain power supplies were emitting concerning amounts of radiation and so I went ahead and bought the same Trifield broadband meter he has, the 100XE, that measures different forms of radiation (magnetic electric, radio/microwave) and sure enough, my power supplies or equipment with large transformers are the biggest offenders.  Fortunately, none of my supplies, amps, computers, DAC, speakers, headphones or CD player emit anything excessive.  Regarding the High Fidelity gear, they emit almost none.  Even the giant magnet sitting on my desk barely results in a blip on my meter when the meter is 1 inch away.  Magnets, according to Rick, attract EMI more than they emit them.  

May 16, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #3,020 of 26,005

Roy I would be interested to get your impression on the SQ difference with the Magnetic RCA Adapters between something like the Oppo and a more “source depending” DAC than the DAVE, when using SPDIF. Well with the DAVE too 
smile.gif

I see that all their products are single ended. Is it because their tech is not suited for balanced or is it other reasons behind it?

Abbe, I have already tried this with my Oppo and the impact is the same.  While the DAVE is definitely more immune to the source than anything else I have owned, it has no say on the analog signal that leaves it.  This is why analog cables definitely matter (with the DAVE and everything else).  This is indeed where you get the most bang for the buck with this technology.  If there is one thing you can do to really get a taste of what this technology can do, I would say start with the analog RCA adapters if you are driving speakers or if you have a single ended amplifier. High Fidelity will soon be rolling out their XLR cables but it is unclear if they will have XLR adapters.  The principles behind all his cables are the same.  

May 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #3,021 of 26,005
Quote:

A 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter sticking in a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter. I don't know what material is inside (brass?), but it looks like gold plated. The contact areas are in any event.

What's interesting is that the 3 contacts instead of one don't seem to matter for the sound quality – the array makes the sound smoother and more refined instead of harsher.

Have you ever heard of Gaborlinks? There seems to be a similar effect at work.

May 16, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3,022 of 26,005
May 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #3,023 of 26,005
  Have you ever heard of Gaborlinks? There seems to be a similar effect at work.

Marcel,  Can you post me the exact link for the 2 connectors? Thanks

Paul

May 16, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #3,024 of 26,005
May 16, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #3,025 of 26,005
   I share this same concern.  In my line of work, I am exposed to X-ray radiation while in the operating room and so my potential exposure is quite high which is why I wear a monitoring badge.  Obviously, this potentially harmful exposure is of concern to me.  In addition to X-rays, CT scanners output even more radiation.  Ultrasounds and MRI machines do not.  Nonetheless, @paulchiu alerted me to the fact that he was noticing how some of his audio components, especially certain power supplies were emitting concerning amounts of radiation and so I went ahead and bought the same Trifield broadband meter he has, the 100XE, that measures different forms of radiation (magnetic electric, radio/microwave) and sure enough, my power supplies or equipment with large transformers are the biggest offenders.  Fortunately, none of my supplies, amps, computers, DAC, speakers, headphones or CD player emit anything excessive.  Regarding the High Fidelity gear, they emit almost none.  Even the giant magnet sitting on my desk barely results in a blip on my meter when the meter is 1 inch away.  Magnets, according to Rick, attract EMI more than they emit them.  

Speaking of EMI/EMF, I rather go to my airports 90 minutes early and elect to have a full pat-down rather than go through a backscatter X-ray body-scanner.

Paul

May 16, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,026 of 26,005
May 16, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,027 of 26,005
May 16, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3,028 of 26,005

Yeah, looks like it. You could also get three of them for not much more.
smile.gif

oh come on Marcel, none of these look like yours. :)
Is it European only?

May 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #3,029 of 26,005

Yeah, looks like it. You could also get three of them for not much more.
smile.gif

oh come on Marcel, none of these look like yours. :)
Is it European only?

Paul, mine are no-name products, bought in a Zurich store for cheap. Just take any adapter for that purpose! I'm sure it will offer the same result. Or maybe not, since you have a completely different setup.

If you're not satisfied with the result, we could make an arrangement via PM. But I'm convinced the make doesn't matter.

May 16, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #3,030 of 26,005

Paul, mine are no-name products, bought in a Zurich store for cheap. Just take any adapter for that purpose! I'm sure it will offer the same result. Or maybe not, since you have a completely different setup.

If you're not satisfied with the result, we could make an arrangement via PM. But I'm convinced the make doesn't matter.

i am just messing with you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back