1. Chord DAVE
2. Lavry Quintessence DA-N5
3. Merging NADAC
4. dCS Vivaldi DAC
5. TOTALDAC D1-DUAL
6. Lavry DA2002
7. SCHIIT YGGDRASIL
8. AQUA La Scala

you mean that red number? its just number,not rank...maybe expressional differences between chinese and english languages and cultures.
bigsmile_face.gif

"录制器材包括" in english mean: "dac equipment includes"

May 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,852 of 25,901
  headphoneclub...just a mistake
biggrin.gif

Delta-Sigma解码器:
1. Chord DAVE
3. Merging NADAC
4. dCS Vivaldi DAC

R2R解码器:
1. TOTALDAC D1-DUAL
2. Lavry DA2002
3. SCHIIT YGGDRASIL
4. AQUA La Scala

录制器材包括:
1. Chord DAVE
3. Merging NADAC
4. dCS Vivaldi DAC
5. TOTALDAC D1-DUAL
6. Lavry DA2002
7. SCHIIT YGGDRASIL
8. AQUA La Scala

you mean that red number? its just number,not rank...maybe expressional differences between chinese and english languages and cultures.
bigsmile_face.gif

"录制器材包括" in english mean: "dac equipment includes"

Ok, thank you for explaining.  I would have enjoyed being part of your listening group!

May 8, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2,853 of 25,901

Hi Sonic77--

Thank you for this update on your experience with the mR. I am one of those folks waiting patiently for the comments to roll in on this unit and the various power supply options. Obviously, you are happy with it and happy enough to place an order for one of the best power supplies you can pair with the mR. 

What would be of great interest to me and presumably other audiophiles is how the mR compares to other server options in your system. What were you using before? Did you do direct comparisons? If so, could you describe what you heard? If you feel comfortable comparing the mR to other sources that you've heard over the years, would you mind telling us about those comparisons? 

Also, tell us about how you are connecting the mR to your network and to the DAVE. Do you have a long run of ethernet cable from your NAS to the mR? How long and what type of cable? Have you tried any optical isolation for that cable or any other tweaks to enhance the signal going to the mR? And what type of USB cable connection are you using to the DAVE? Have you experimented with different connections?

Finally, have you found that the mR's sonic signature changes over time with burn-in?

Any information would be helpful.

Hi romaz & shuttlepod,

You guys are going to be sooo happy, just wait and see! I own another server caps v3 zuma with audiophile optimizer with jplay, maxed out and mac mini with various software, just blows them away badly. I also tried the battery power unit from sotm and saw an improvement, that's why I upgraded to the Sonore power unit. Let me know what you guys think when you get your micro Rendu.
Yes I heard a change in sound day two, it starts out thin but keep playing, it opens up. I use a switch and a audio quest diamond Ethernet cable. I have western digital nas hard drive, install minimum server on that and you get to bypass computers and servers entirely, you need a controller you can use kazoo linn or others, hoped this helped.

May 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,854 of 25,901

Hi romaz & shuttlepod,

You guys are going to be sooo happy, just wait and see! I own another server caps v3 zuma with audiophile optimizer with jplay, maxed out and mac mini with various software, just blows them away badly. I also tried the battery power unit from sotm and saw an improvement, that's why I upgraded to the Sonore power unit. Let me know what you guys think when you get your micro Rendu.

Really great to hear!  John Swanson suggests at least a 50-hour burn in before it sounds good so I suspect it will only get better.  What I am really encouraged to read is that you heard an improvement with the SOtM battery unit suggesting that the DAVE will reveal differences in power supplies with the microRendu.  Probably the best news yet for me.

May 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,855 of 25,901
  I am using SPDIF out of my Mac now via a Mapleshades optical cable and it sounds very good although USB is very slightly better.  @ecwl has tried the BNC inputs into the DAVE I recall and he didn't like it.  Rob has stated also that BNC input on the DAVE is the worst sounding input.

Thanks Roy.  You just saved me $900 on SPDIF/ RCA add-ons.
I have to send back the optical cable.  They sent me the standard toslink ends.

I am still having trouble with my MBP running Audirvana 2.8mhz files using USB to DAVE.  The load up has hiccups.  No such flow issues with 44.1 to 192k.

Paul

May 8, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,856 of 25,901
My DAVE serial was above 29K.  This must be the best selling high-end DAC of our time.
Other uber DAC I have used were in the hundreds.

May 8, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #2,858 of 25,901

Hi romaz & shuttlepod,

Yes I heard a change in sound day two, it starts out thin but keep playing, it opens up. I use a switch and a audio quest diamond Ethernet cable. I have western digital nas hard drive, install minimum server on that and you get to bypass computers and servers entirely, you need a controller you can use kazoo linn or others, hoped this helped.

Really appreciate the feedback, Sonic77. I understand you can connect the mR to your dac directly via a hard USB connector that comes with the mR. Are you using that? Any problems physically connecting this to the DAVE? 

Regarding the ethernet cable, I assume you are using the AQ Diamond cable between the switch and mR? If so, what type of cable are you using before the switch? Do you know whether the AQ Diamond cable makes any difference vs. ordinary ethernet cable?

Thanks in advance for your impressions. Looking forward to trying the mR!

May 8, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,859 of 25,901
Few days ago,HeadphoneClub website(A Chinese audiophiles website) hold a "Blind Listening Test",Name: Delta-Sigma Vs. R2R.

http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-418239-1-1.html

Eight DACs take part in this test and divided them into two groups .

2. DA2002

3. SCHIIT YGGDRASIL

4. AQUA La Scala

Delta-Sigma:

1. [COLOR=FF0000]Chord DAVE[/COLOR]

3. Merging NADAC

4. dCS Vivaldi DAC

To make it fair,All DACs are using the same sound source:dCS Vivaldi Transport.

Each DACs test contain three soundtrack:

1. Dutoit / Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal(Organ Symphony)

2. Ah, vous dirais-je maman", K. 265(Female voice)

3. Beethoven Sonata N° 29 Hammerklavier Op.106(Piano)

For the convenience of all audiophiles.Organisers recorded the sound (from DAC output signal,recording by professional audio studio)and upload all file to the Internet.(recording files).

I understand that the "blind test" was conducted by recording the analog output of the DACs and uploading them on the Internet. The participants then downloaded the files, and in the comments section of the webpage then guessed which DAC was which- this was part of a "lottery" where those who guessed the identity of the DAC correctly had a small cash prize.

I have read the comments, although DAVE was consistently ranked top 2 by most listeners and Yggy the last, I would note (1) those listeners listened to the recordings through their own playback system, (2) some noted the 3 dB difference between the loudest and softest recordings of DAC output and (3) a blind testing session was apparently held live at the venue.

Question: does anyone know where the comments from the participants at the live venue are? To me their opinions would be more valuable than those who merely played back the recordings of the output of these DACs.

May 8, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #2,860 of 25,901

Really appreciate the feedback, Sonic77. I understand you can connect the mR to your dac directly via a hard USB connector that comes with the mR. Are you using that? Any problems physically connecting this to the DAVE? 

Regarding the ethernet cable, I assume you are using the AQ Diamond cable between the switch and mR? If so, what type of cable are you using before the switch? Do you know whether the AQ Diamond cable makes any difference vs. ordinary ethernet cable?

Thanks in advance for your impressions. Looking forward to trying the mR!

Hi shuttlepod,

You need to support the mR since it doesn't lay flat and could damage your Dave usb connector.
Yes I am using the AQ diamond cable between the switch and the mR. I am using Vandesail CAT7 High Speed Ethernet cable before that, I have been using the AQ diamond for so long I forgot what it's like without it in the chain, but if I didn't hear a difference I would've sent it back.
Hope that helped :)

May 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,861 of 25,901

Hi shuttlepod,

You need to support the mR since it doesn't lay flat and could damage your Dave usb connector.
Yes I am using the AQ diamond cable between the switch and the mR. I am using Vandesail CAT7 High Speed Ethernet cable before that, I have been using the AQ diamond for so long I forgot what it's like without it in the chain, but if I didn't hear a difference I would've sent it back.
Hope that helped :)

Thank you.

May 8, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #2,862 of 25,901

Do you know whether the AQ Diamond cable makes any difference vs. ordinary ethernet cable?

Here is what Chris Connaker said in his review of the microRendu regarding its ethernet port:

"The microRendu contains a 10/100/1000 Gbps Ethernet interface. This interface is limited to 470 Mbps due to the internal i.MX6 bus. Audiophile needn't worry about this "limitation" because 470 Mbps is still hundreds of Mbps more than is required for even the highest resolution audio files. The microRendu features signal conditioning, signal isolation, and EMI suppression on this Ethernet input in part by using a radical power network with multiple regulators between the power to the Ethernet PHY and the power to the USB subsystem. These regulators have a very high power supply rejection ratio or PSSR. The PSSR is used to describe the amount of noise that can be rejected from a source of power. Readers familiar with commercial motherboards built to hit the lowest price point will understand this is a huge difference because those cheap boards don't contain much isolation between the power to the Ethernet PHY and USB subsystem. This extensive design may be responsible for some of the network immunity or lack of sensitivity I've found with the microRendu. No matter what I do prior to the Ethernet input of the unit, the sound remains the same. Even using CAT7 shielded cables that break the inherent galvanic isolation of Ethernet by using connected shields on both ends."

Chris went on to admit, however, that in his comparison of various ethernet cables, he did not compare any special audiophile grade network cables like your AQ Diamond or my SOtM CAT6 + filter.  I also am using optical isolation which I found was more effective.  If I didn't already own these things, I probably would wait before buying anything special but as I already own this equipment and as I have validated their efficacy in a previous setup, it wouldn't hurt to use what I have is how I see it.  

May 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,863 of 25,901

Here is what Chris Connaker said in his review of the microRendu regarding its ethernet port:

"The microRendu contains a 10/100/1000 Gbps Ethernet interface. This interface is limited to 470 Mbps due to the internal i.MX6 bus. Audiophile needn't worry about this "limitation" because 470 Mbps is still hundreds of Mbps more than is required for even the highest resolution audio files. The microRendu features signal conditioning, signal isolation, and EMI suppression on this Ethernet input in part by using a radical power network with multiple regulators between the power to the Ethernet PHY and the power to the USB subsystem. These regulators have a very high power supply rejection ratio or PSSR. The PSSR is used to describe the amount of noise that can be rejected from a source of power. Readers familiar with commercial motherboards built to hit the lowest price point will understand this is a huge difference because those cheap boards don't contain much isolation between the power to the Ethernet PHY and USB subsystem. This extensive design may be responsible for some of the network immunity or lack of sensitivity I've found with the microRendu. No matter what I do prior to the Ethernet input of the unit, the sound remains the same. Even using CAT7 shielded cables that break the inherent galvanic isolation of Ethernet by using connected shields on both ends."

Chris went on to admit, however, that in his comparison of various ethernet cables, he did not compare any special audiophile grade network cables like your AQ Diamond or my SOtM CAT6 + filter.  I also am using optical isolation which I found was more effective.  If I didn't already own these things, I probably would wait before buying anything special but as I already own this equipment and as I have validated their efficacy in a previous setup, it wouldn't hurt to use what I have is how I see it.  

I like the bit about "EMI suppression".  Good to read about EMI/EMF and potential power supply/transformer ill effects.
Who is Chris Connaker?

Paul

May 8, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,864 of 25,901

I like the bit about "EMI suppression".  Good to read about EMI/EMF and potential power supply/transformer ill effects.
Who is Chris Connaker?

Paul

Chris Connaker is the founder of computeraudiophile.com.  He is also the driving force behind the CAPS music server and many consider him among the foremost authorities in music servers.  Some people hire him (even fly him) to destinations to tune their custom built servers for them.  He has heard many things and he is suggesting this microRendu that was just released by Sonore is the best music server he has heard.

May 8, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2,865 of 25,901

Yes, I did see Connaker's comments regarding the mR's apparent immunity to what comes before it. I was just looking for some corroboration or another opinion. Roy, since you have the SOtM CAT6 + filter and have used optical isolation, I'd be interested in your findings regarding the mR's (and/or DAVE's) sensitivity or lack thereof to these tweaks. 

I'm also guessing that most people will be using the mR with its short, hard adapter to connect to the USB input on their dac. I haven't seen any reports so far of people comparing this mode of connecting the mR to using an audiophile USB cable between the mR and the dac. Another point of curiosity. 

Mostly, though, I'm interested in just how sensitive or insensitive the DAVE is to the mR. For example, with DAVE is there any real sonic difference between the SonicOrbiter SE and the mR? A laptop computer and the mR? If so, how big of a difference might this be and how much might it vary depending on the power supply used with the mR? I think these would be the primary considerations in deciding whether to purchase the mR for use with DAVE, and deciding how much to spend on a power supply. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back