CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 21, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #23,461 of 26,005
Have you tried setting display to 4?
Does it help?
Oh yes. Display 4 fixes the issue. 90% better. In normal volume ranges completely silent so no worries. Just curious. Non issue. :)

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #23,462 of 26,005
Oh yes. Display 4 fixes the issue. 90% better. In normal volume ranges completely silent so no worries. Just curious. Non issue. :)
So there is still some noise even with display off?

Then there is something more happening in the system that Feliks is catching something and amplifying.
Some ground loop maybe.

ps. can you try different dac? Also as I see you are using farad3 with Dave - can you switch to stock ps just to see if there is difference?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #23,463 of 26,005
I have just tried with my Dave with the display on and off and the volume turned up to max (+19dB). It is totally silent on its output even when the display is on and the volume is at max. I don’t know if you using the Farad power supplies has any impact on what you are hearing? (I have the Sean Jacobs power supply with my Dave).

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #23,464 of 26,005
DAVE with Farad power supply through Feliks Envy Amp (with stock Tubes) is silent on all display/operational settings. Volume turned up to just over 4 O'clock (no music) is where I start to hear a very minor start of humming. No way would I reach that 4 O'clock level level when listening to music. I barely go beyond 9 O'clock on High Gain setting on the Envy.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #23,465 of 26,005
DAVE with Farad power supply through Feliks Envy Amp (with stock Tubes) is silent on all display/operational settings. Volume turned up to just over 4 O'clock (no music) is where I start to hear a very minor start of humming.
Earth it and its gone.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #23,466 of 26,005
I use tube mundorf angelique rca cable when it occured and indeed only when the display lights up. Other shielded rca that sounded worse or earth wire fixed it. So option two

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #23,467 of 26,005
I use tube mundorf angelique rca cable when it occured and indeed only when the display lights up. Other shielded rca that sounded worse or earth wire fixed it. So option two
I was thinking of getting something like this ...

https://www.amazon.com/Static-Care-Grounding-Alligator-Garments/dp/B08V5D9L7L/ref=sr_1_7?crid=LC2UDAQPCS0&keywords=grounding+cable&qid=1671665197&sprefix=brounding+cabl,aps,117&sr=8-7

Edit: Sounds like you had the same exact issue as me. Crazy :)

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #23,468 of 26,005
Try a simple wire to dave and grounding and its gone.it comes from the display chip thingy icw the unshielded rca input and prob some noise that bounces in that kind of situation. But thats were groundings are for so fixed.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #23,469 of 26,005
I have just tried with my Dave with the display on and off and the volume turned up to max (+19dB). It is totally silent on its output even when the display is on and the volume is at max. I don’t know if you using the Farad power supplies has any impact on what you are hearing? (I have the Sean Jacobs power supply with my Dave).
apparently the dave would clip at plus 5 with the m-scaler or plus 3 with the dave alone

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #23,470 of 26,005
Well If you want to know impressions from someone who currently owns both, feel free to Pm :)

Will do. Admit it was silly of me to ask directly in this thread.. sigh lol

"Mscaler is imho the most important ingredient in the "Rob Watts cooking recipe",

Yup, I would agree with that. I've crossed over to almost not being able to listen to music without it. It's frighteningly like a drug.

I don't know about most important, but having shipped my M-scaler to my new destination while only using the Dave in the meantime, the lack of additional layering and spacing is definitely apparent (like.. very apparent). I'm not sure it's a "must own", but it certainly seems like a "can't sell or get rid of", which I guess is essentially the same lol

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #23,471 of 26,005
apparently the dave would clip at plus 5 with the m-scaler or plus 3 with the dave alone
I wasn’t playing music, just listening for any background noise from the display. It was silent.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #23,472 of 26,005
Earth it and its gone.
Just curious, if we have a lighting storm and I have the Dave connected to ground, is there any potential issues with electricity spike? I assume no but wanted to check. I saw some ground cables had a resistor.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #23,473 of 26,005
No thats were groundings are for to remove noise and voltage peaks etc. Asumong your house earth is a ok. But with an direct hit you orobably have other issues to handle.

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #23,474 of 26,005
To those who are - like I was- petrified by all the "you want to switch all the capacitors out of the DAVE with platinum/uranium ones hand-wound by blind monks" and "to block RF you need to battery-power everything in your neighborhood and cover your house in 6 layers of lead" kinds of talk I can very happily report that I'm listening right now to a DAVE connected by all stock cables to a Macbook Pro and MScaler listening to, of all things, recordings off *Youtube* (what are they, 128k .mp3 or something?) and it sounds just ridiculously amazingly good. Like "can't leave the room" good. (Though interestingly the DAVE did seem to need a few hours burn-in before it got completely up to speed).
And don't get me started on how good it sounds with Audirvana.

Thanks to @Rob Watts for your fantastic work.

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #23,475 of 26,005
To those who are - like I was- petrified by all the "you want to switch all the capacitors out of the DAVE with platinum/uranium ones hand-wound by blind monks" and "to block RF you need to battery-power everything in your neighborhood and cover your house in 6 layers of lead" kinds of talk I can very happily report that I'm listening right now to a DAVE connected by all stock cables to a Macbook Pro and MScaler listening to, of all things, recordings off *Youtube* (what are they, 128k .mp3 or something?) and it sounds just ridiculously amazingly good. Like "can't leave the room" good. (Though interestingly the DAVE did seem to need a few hours burn-in before it got completely up to speed).
And don't get me started on how good it sounds with Audirvana.

Thanks to @Rob Watts for your fantastic work.
Still ... all the other tweaks help it sound even better hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back